The Student Room Group

Have your say: UCAS proposed Post Results Uni Applications for 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Parle à ma main
Nah, I usually stress about things for a few days then put them out of mind :smile: I'm meant to be spending the whole summer (before results day anyhow) away, I wouldn't be able to do that if this new system was in place. There's so much psychology behind it, too many ifs and buts for anyone to be able to say what would happen :dontknow: Wonder if there's a way of trialling the system before doing it?

If they did and it went pair shape it would be pretty unfair on the "guinea pig year".
Original post by Besakt
If they did and it went pair shape it would be pretty unfair on the "guinea pig year".

True, but even if they don't trial it and launch it straight away, there's still going to be a first year to try it who are, in effect, the guinea pig year.
Reply 42
I think the new proposed system would be much better. The current system has totally taken my mind off of revision for my exams, because i'm so worried about not getting into university after 3 rejections in 3 days. That system would make it so much less stressful, and a lot of people would probably get the grades they are actually capable of. :smile:
Original post by matty9694
I think the new proposed system would be much better. The current system has totally taken my mind off of revision for my exams, because i'm so worried about not getting into university after 3 rejections in 3 days. That system would make it so much less stressful, and a lot of people would probably get the grades they are actually capable of. :smile:

I'm sorry to hear about your 3 rejections, better luck with your other two choices :smile:

While a post result application would certainly reduce that particular stress, the Apply1, Apply2, Apply3 system which is being proposed for use from 2014 (not 2016) entry cycle, is going to throw up a lot of other issues for applicants in the near future.
It is proposed that Applicant can only make TWO choices in the initial round of application (Apply 1 if you have your exam results already, ie gap year students, or Apply2 if you have not yet got your results), if unsuccessful, applicants would then be able to choose up to 3 more choices in Apply3 (effectively clearing).
I think the stress of application would still be there but would be focused on something different, probably on "what will I do in my Gap year if I have to re-apply next cycle?" or "I have to play safe with my course/university choices as I only have 2 choices, but I really want to apply to X, but it's so hard to get into, should I take the risk? ".

Edit, just saw you are a VetMed applicant, good luck with your 4th choice. For Very tough to get into courses, the current system is already putting considerable barriers up against applicants (my son was a Med applicant last year), with relatively low success rates for an individual during each application cycle. I am concerned that (under the new proposals) more and more courses are going to be caught up in that "apply several years in a row" scenario which already seems common for the most academically rigorous courses/universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by mikeandadamsmum
I'm sorry to hear about your 3 rejections, better luck with your other two choices :smile:

While a post result application would certainly reduce that particular stress, the Apply1, Apply2, Apply3 system which is being proposed for use from 2014 (not 2016) entry cycle, is going to throw up a lot of other issues for applicants in the near future.
It is proposed that Applicant can only make TWO choices in the initial round of application (Apply 1 if you have your exam results already, ie gap year students, or Apply2 if you have not yet got your results), if unsuccessful, applicants would then be able to choose up to 3 more choices in Apply3 (effectively clearing).
I think the stress of application would still be there but would be focused on something different, probably on "what will I do in my Gap year if I have to re-apply next cycle?" or "I have to play safe with my course/university choices as I only have 2 choices, but I really want to apply to X, but it's so hard to get into, should I take the risk? ".

Edit, just saw you are a VetMed applicant, good luck with your 4th choice. For Very tough to get into courses, the current system is already putting considerable barriers up against applicants (my son was a Med applicant last year), with relatively low success rates for an individual during each application cycle. I am concerned that (under the new proposals) more and more courses are going to be caught up in that "apply several years in a row" scenario which already seems common for the most academically rigorous courses/universities.

Ah, I didn't realise that. I suppose if only two choices were allowed, then there would be less competition for each university, therefore easing the stress a little, but I see you're point. :smile:

Thank you very much! I just hope Liverpool see something the others didn't. It is my favourite as well, luckily. :smile:
Ah, but no, it's not less competition as the university will receive half the number of applications (2 per person rather than 4), and be making fewer offers.

There will still be the same number of students applying, and the same number of places available, IYKWIM, but each student will only get 2 rolls of the dice rather than 4. That may sound flippant but I do think that in highly oversubscribed courses where all the applicants have amazing academics, there is a bit of luck involved.

Anyway, I hope Liverpool works out for you [smile], but get your plan B sorted too - and remember next year, if you need to reapply, you will be a stronger applicant (grades already achieved), and with more work experience, and showing even more dedication to Vet Med by re-applying.
My main issues would be the time, or rather lack of it, in which you apply. I mean, if your applying starts in June - then for the majority of your application process, you're not in school/collage - which will be really awkward for teachers and students alike to do references ect. unless I've missed some salient point. And what about with subjects such as nursing (in my case) where their are interviews and further tests, how will they be timed?

Just as a point of interest, universities generally make more offers than they can accommodate to account for the number of people who will fail their Alevels, so unless I've missed something - surely this will make it far harder to get an offer in the first place.

I prefer our current system, and I think when you change something like the UCAS application procedure, a system that's been in process for so long you run the risk of confusing people, students, teachers and parents alike - which'll stress people out and I would imagine lead to a lot of botched applications.
Reply 47
My only concern, as a mature student would be that the new scheme needs to allow some scope for people to actually be able to give notice from a job and start the course on time. Often older students don't need results day however so there may be some requirement to consider those who already have the grades before that time separately in some way?
Original post by lacelicker

Original post by lacelicker
Just as a point of interest, universities generally make more offers than they can accommodate to account for the number of people who will fail their Alevels, so unless I've missed something - surely this will make it far harder to get an offer in the first place.

The over-offer to account for A-level grades is not that big as a proportion, the big factor in over-offering and why universities may offer 4 or 5 times the number of places is because they don't know who will put them as a firm or insurance choice.

For the case that you're talking about, the people who would have got an offer but then didn't meet it won't get an offer in a post qualification era. These are the people who lose out as it were, rather than someone who meets their grades who should find it no harder than before to get an offer. Those that missed the grades aren't really losing out, because rather than suffer the pain of clearing they can apply to somewhere whose grades they do meet on an equal footing, so from this perspective at least it's better all round.
Reply 49
It's a great idea, gives students a better idea of what to apply for and gives them more time to think about such a life changing, expensive decision. It will allow students to focus more on exams instead of applications and personal statements at the same time, it will be a less stressful process and universities will be able to work with actual grades instead of predicted which students can sometimes fail to get or may achieve a higher grade.
yeah but a point worth remembering is that with this new proposed system. there will be no predicted grades used... which means that a person might be less motivated to achieving a set of grades required for an interview/acceptance.

with the current system, the predicted grades are used which motivates the students.

if anyone understands my point?
Very dubious about only being able to apply to two unis. With subjects like Med (cos that's the subject I know most about applying for), even applying to four places only has a 40% success rate of getting 1/4 offers.

I don't think the success rate would be affected. You'd be looking at the same number of applicants and the same number of places, only the number of applications will change.

Based on 2009/10 data, there were 6789 places for Medicine. There were 21389 applicants, meaning that if all of them used all 4 choices then there were 85556 applications.
6789/85556 gives 0.08 places per application, so a 1 in 12 chance of a single application getting a place. If you have four applications, then your chance of getting a place is 1/12 + 1/12 + 1/12 + 1/12 = 0.3 or 30% (Ignore the fact that this doesn't quite match the 40% figure - this is based on pure chance if the unis were picking you out of a hat, whereas in real life a number of those 20k students won't be anywhere near the entry requirements and therefore don't really figure into the competition).
If you only got 2 choices, then there would have been 42778 applications. This gives 0.15 places per application, so a 1 in 6 chance of a single application being successful. With two unis, your chance is 1/6 +1/6 = 1/3, or 30%, exactly the same as with 4 choices.

I realise the statistics don't account for the anomalies in the application procedure such as a 2A* GCSE application going to Birmingham has a 0% chance of success rather than the predicted 1/12 or 1/6, but this means that applicants will have to pick their choices based on their best chance of success in how well they match up to the individual requirements, which they should be doing anyway! Decreasing the number of choices is not going to influence overall success rate of admission.
Reply 52
Original post by 19941994
I definitely prefer the system now, I'm surprised at the poll results as well!
I think with the current system, students will have offers before they sit their final exams. This way they have confidence knowing they have offers and it's something to motivate them as they know exactly what they need to achieve in order to get into the unis they have applied to. It may be a longer process but it makes more sense in my opinion.

Original post by James A
yeah but a point worth remembering is that with this new proposed system. there will be no predicted grades used... which means that a person might be less motivated to achieving a set of grades required for an interview/acceptance.

with the current system, the predicted grades are used which motivates the students.

if anyone understands my point?

If i'm not mistaken, this is the same point, right? I disagree with the idea of students being less motivated. I mean, if a uni says they need a set of grades, students will be motivated regardless of whether or not offers are made before they have sat exams.

I think the concept right now is correct, but there isn't consistency with predicted grades. I think that is what needs to be changed.
Original post by RajPopat94
If i'm not mistaken, this is the same point, right? I disagree with the idea of students being less motivated. I mean, if a uni says they need a set of grades, students will be motivated regardless of whether or not offers are made before they have sat exams.

I think the concept right now is correct, but there isn't consistency with predicted grades. I think that is what needs to be changed.

yeah but offers are more on a personal level, making you feel a little special :colondollar:

hence why i think the current system is good at keeping someone motivated
Reply 54
Original post by James A
yeah but offers are more on a personal level, making you feel a little special :colondollar:

hence why i think the current system is good at keeping someone motivated

Hahaha, perfect smily. But offers will still be on a personal level. Except you will have actual grades rather that what your teachers think.
Reply 55
I'm currently applying to start University this September. I am finding the process extremely stressful.

I'm completely unsure about whether I should put my favourite Uni as my firm choice, as if I miss out by one grade, I will then all of a sudden have only a month to change all my preparations and sort out accommodation for a completely different city. Alternatively if I don't put it down and then do achieve the required grades, I will be terribly disappointed and will probably resent going to my second choice, knowing I could be studying at a better University in a city I prefer.
Also, the current system means I am spending more time stressing over my application and offers and it takes away from revision time.

I truly wish it were simply a case of trying my absolute best in my exams, seeing what I achieve, and then applying to Universities that will accept those grades.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I don't think the success rate would be affected. You'd be looking at the same number of applicants and the same number of places, only the number of applications will change.

Based on 2009/10 data, there were 6789 places for Medicine. There were 21389 applicants, meaning that if all of them used all 4 choices then there were 85556 applications.
6789/85556 gives 0.08 places per application, so a 1 in 12 chance of a single application getting a place. If you have four applications, then your chance of getting a place is 1/12 + 1/12 + 1/12 + 1/12 = 0.3 or 30% (Ignore the fact that this doesn't quite match the 40% figure - this is based on pure chance if the unis were picking you out of a hat, whereas in real life a number of those 20k students won't be anywhere near the entry requirements and therefore don't really figure into the competition).
If you only got 2 choices, then there would have been 42778 applications. This gives 0.15 places per application, so a 1 in 6 chance of a single application being successful. With two unis, your chance is 1/6 +1/6 = 1/3, or 30%, exactly the same as with 4 choices.

I realise the statistics don't account for the anomalies in the application procedure such as a 2A* GCSE application going to Birmingham has a 0% chance of success rather than the predicted 1/12 or 1/6, but this means that applicants will have to pick their choices based on their best chance of success in how well they match up to the individual requirements, which they should be doing anyway! Decreasing the number of choices is not going to influence overall success rate of admission.

You make a good point, never realised that! That's reassuring. :smile: In that case the only other thing bugging me is how they would manage to get through that many applications in the space of a few months. I'm trying to work out if only being apply to apply to two places would increase applications to individual unis themselves or not. Would it? Or would it decrease? :s-smilie:

You make a good point, never realised that! That's reassuring. :smile: In that case the only other thing bugging me is how they would manage to get through that many applications in the space of a few months. I'm trying to work out if only being apply to apply to two places would increase applications to individual unis themselves or not. Would it? Or would it decrease? :s-smilie:

It would vastly decrease, so in 2009 there were 697,000 applicants who collectively made 2.7million application choices using their 5 possible choices. Under a new system, there would be a maximum of around 1.4 million for the same number of applicants. I suspect that a reduction in the number of applications is a significant motivation behind reducing the number of choices to 2, streamlining the process and therefore allowing it to be compressed into a shorter time period.
Original post by F1 fanatic
It would vastly decrease, so in 2009 there were 697,000 applicants who collectively made 2.7million application choices using their 5 possible choices. Under a new system, there would be a maximum of around 1.4 million for the same number of applicants. I suspect that a reduction in the number of applications is a significant motivation behind reducing the number of choices to 2, streamlining the process and therefore allowing it to be compressed into a shorter time period.

Oh right, ok, that makes sense :smile: So unis would have about half the applicants, but about half the amount of time to make decisions? That sounds about fair, actually.

What do you think about the changes?

You halve the number of applications, you (supposedly) halve the number of time you need to process them, unless unis decide it would be fairer to interview a higher proportion of applicants now that they're more able to.

I suspect that there would year-on-year fluctuations in the number of applications to each uni, based on how popular a uni was the previous year. So if Aberdeen, for example, got 1500 applications whereas based on the percentage of UK places it offers it should get 1103 applications, then the following year you might see it only get 800 as people hedge their bets and go elsewhere. I don't know, I'm just speculating, but possibly with only two choices people would try to play the system (badly, in most cases) to increase their chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending