The Student Room Group

AQA Law 02 - 19th Jan

I'm resitting this one as a I got a low C after I managed to turn up late and couldn't really concentrate.
Anyone else resitting or taking it for the first time? How's your revision going?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, im a first year Law student. I'm finding unit 2 slightly difficult, the jump from GCSE to AS in general is quite a big one. I am adamant on obtaining an 'A' grade in this subject. Is it impossible? I've heard that it is fairly easy to obtain a high grade on Unit 1 thus potentially my final grade could be pulled up to an 'A' providing i work hard enough.

Good luck in your forthcoming exam!!!! :smile:

Any tips on achieving success in Law?

My Law teachers are useful, nevertheless i am use to teaching myself.

Good luck, God speed.
Original post by ronaldo870

Hey, im a first year Law student. I'm finding unit 2 slightly difficult, the jump from GCSE to AS in general is quite a big one. I am adamant on obtaining an 'A' grade in this subject. Is it impossible? I've heard that it is fairly easy to obtain a high grade on Unit 1 thus potentially my final grade could be pulled up to an 'A' providing i work hard enough.

Good luck in your forthcoming exam!!!! :smile:

Any tips on achieving success in Law?

My Law teachers are useful, nevertheless i am use to teaching myself.

Good luck, God speed.

its not impossible to achieve a A in law, at GCSE i was a B grade student so i wasnt really aiming for a A but i did end up get a A in unit 1 & 2, even though i didnt revise much probably spend about 2 days memorising everything
but the one thing i did do was prepare a lot of model answers and doing timed questions at home, this really does help b/c in the exam u will be pushed for time, oh and dont spend too much time in the exam writing all the details of the cases 1-2 lines should be enough :smile:
Reply 3
Real help, will take it onboard, thanks.

We started unit 2 first and are just about to begin Unit 1. A lot easier?
Reply 4
Messy, do you have any websites that may be useful to me? I'm currently using 'sixthformlaw' which is quite neat. Any others?..

Thanks a bunch for the feedback anyway
Reply 5
i'm resitting unit 2 as well, unit 1 is a lot easier than unit 2 :smile:

got an A in unit 1 and an E in unit 2 :/ i've been working so hard to revise for this retake, reallyyy hoping for an A... good luck everyone!
Unit 1 is definitely easier, but i'm not finding Unit 2 as hard 2nd time around. If anyone wants an example of an answer typed up just let me know. :smile:

Messy, do you have any websites that may be useful to me? I'm currently using 'sixthformlaw' which is quite neat. Any others?..

Thanks a bunch for the feedback anyway

no problem, unit 1 is a whole lot easier than unit 2, its really just memorising everything and then when the questions come up writing the whole thing down
i didnt use any websites for unit 1 & 2 cos my teacher came me the resources i need, but for unit 3 i used websites like getrevising.com - there should be stuff on there for unit 2 aswell :smile:
Reply 8
Hey, how about 'explain the term breach of duty' and the same for 'actus reus'. I am fairly confident of achieving 100% on these questions, would like to see how someone from a different centre would approach it. If you could, would be grateful.

This is what I have for actus reus, ill get you breach of duty later.
Actus Reus means 'guilty act'. It is one of two elements that make up an offence alongside Mens Rea.
The defendant must commit a voluntary and conscious act and not a reflex action as shown in Hill V Baxter where it was ruled that a driver stung by bees in his car and crashed would not be committing a 'voluntary and conscious act'.
An omission is a failure to act. There is no general duty to prevent someone suffering harm in law however there are exceptions to this.
Firstly is a duty under statute (CYPA 1933) which imposes a duty on parents to prevent their child suffering harm.
There is a duty under contract as shown in Pittwood where a signalman failed to close a crossing gate and several people died as a result.
A duty also arises from public office as shown in Dytham when a policeman failed to act when a man was being kicked to death nearby.
Duty can be voluntarily undertaken as in Stone and Dobinson where a couple looked after an ill relative but failed to care for her properly and she died as a result.
Finally there is a duty to act when the defendant creates a dangerous situation as in Miller where a tramp started a fire in a building then failed to put it out.

That answer would probably be pushing it with the amount of time it would take to write so if you aren't an especially quick writer you can get away without explaining the case and just putting it in brackets I believe but I prefer to give an explanation if I have the time.
Let me know what you think. :smile:
Reply 10
Great! Ticks all the required boxes 7/7.... btw, have you got any tips for memorising the vast amount of cases we need to learn.?
Not as such, but with the non fatal offences its better to learn more cases than you'll actually need as you will be more likely to remember at least one.
Stressing out about this!

Got a C last year. Majorly ran out of time!!
Original post by Jellybeany

Just remember that you don't have to give detailed descriptions on cases, its started to save me quite a lot of time.

u need to manage ur time properly, just make sure u spend roughly 10 mins each questions, have enough time to answer all the questions
Original post by messy_teardrops
u need to manage ur time properly, just make sure u spend roughly 10 mins each questions, have enough time to answer all the questions

I knew this when I sat it bit I just thought I could do a little bit more on each question. When I looked at the clock I nearly cried. Itll be okay on Thursday!

I knew this when I sat it bit I just thought I could do a little bit more on each question. When I looked at the clock I nearly cried. Itll be okay on Thursday!

alright, good luck! :biggrin:
I'm struggling to revise for this one, as I last sat in in June 2009 and got an E which pretty much was the theme through out both years of my alevels :colondollar: they give you so much freedom in 6th form! haha

I've re-sat all my a-levels, whilst working full time it was soo much easier than being in school. This is the last one and out of the 4 law modules its the one that's keeping my overall grade down at a D. Luckily I only need a D or C in this exam for my overall grade to be a C which is what I need to study midwifery :smile:

Don't know if anyone else is in this position, but having already studied Law03 and Law04 twice I get a bit confused sometimes!! Although one thing that makes me happy, those exams were so so much more detailed than this one will be and I got C's in both of those....fingers crossed! :smile:
Reply 18
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I'm sitting this one in June, for some reason everyone fails on this 1, but no doubt you guys will ace it :smile:.

R
Aghh! I have this exam tomorrow! I am absolutely scared witless! Anyone have any tips they can offer?

Quick Reply

Latest