The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Does Lancaster Uni have a good nightlife?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm from Nottingham, and didn't realise quite how good Nottingham is until I moved away! Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people who love it here- but it is just not for me. Thankfully i'm in my third year so don't have long left, and will be moving back home to Nottingham at the end of it! I also struggle to find things to do as I'm not into hiking/ the lake district, so luckily I have a job which distracts me. I don't want to put you off, but for me personally I made the wrong choice coming here and am extremely jealous of my friends at uni in Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham and Manchester!!!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
Toast and Elements are both minging. It's all about the pubs I'm afraid. Stonewell Tavern, Yorkshire House etc. have great live music.
Original post by cmas123
Toast and Elements are both minging. It's all about the pubs I'm afraid. Stonewell Tavern, Yorkshire House etc. have great live music.

Nothing wrong with Elements. Yeah it isn't the classiest of places but if you're out with a decent group of mates then you can still have a laugh there.
Original post by mackemforever
Nothing wrong with Elements. Yeah it isn't the classiest of places but if you're out with a decent group of mates then you can still have a laugh there.

I'd keep an eye on your drink. There were so many cases of drink spikings in there when I was a student that we gave up on the place. There were some seriously dodgy goings on. :redface:
Original post by affinity89
I'd keep an eye on your drink. There were so many cases of drink spikings in there when I was a student that we gave up on the place. There were some seriously dodgy goings on. :redface:

I only ever drink shots, double vodka red bulls or jaegerbombs on nights out, all drinks meant to be done in one.
Thanks guys, you've all been really helpful.
Lancaster's only like an hour away from home but it still seems scary choosing somewhere so different from Manchester! At least I won't have to worry about hiding my Northern roots like many of my friends moving down South!

:smile:
Hey Manchuniangirl,

Its funny as im at Manchester uni now in my first year and looking to transfer to Lancaster uni because of the size of the uni, everything seems really disconnected and the size of my class is ridiculous. However if there is one thing Manchester is great for it is cheap nights out which are making want to stay even though i hate the uni
Original post by OneWordStory
Hey Manchuniangirl,

Its funny as im at Manchester uni now in my first year and looking to transfer to Lancaster uni because of the size of the uni, everything seems really disconnected and the size of my class is ridiculous. However if there is one thing Manchester is great for it is cheap nights out which are making want to stay even though i hate the uni

Manchester is an amazing city - there is no doubt about that [not that I am biased, being a Manchester girl lol]. But, Lancaster is also good for cheap nights out. You can normally get decent offers on drink and there are plenty of student nights. :smile:
For food:
- Sainsbury's Lancaster [next to the bus station]
- Booths Lancaster [in Hala, half way between campus and town]
- Somerfield/Co-Op Lancaster [next to the bus station]
- Asda Morecambe [on the road out of Lancaster, over the bridge - bus/walk or two buses from campus]
- Sainsbury's Morecambe [bigger store on way into Morecambe - 2A stops outside]
- Tesco Morecambe [in the shopping precinct - one bus from campus 3]
- Morrison's Morecambe [seafront - one bus from campus 3]
- Aldi Morecambe [sea front - one bus from campus 3]
- Independent shops in Lancaster including a vegetarian coop [Single Step Cooperative], a Thai supermarket, a Chinese supermarket, bi-weekly food market etc.

Shops:
You have all the usual high street shops. Eg, Next, New Look, River Island, BHS, Marks & Spencers, Ann Summers, Wilkinsons, Boots, Superdrug, Holland & Barrett, TK Maxx, Argos, The Works, Home Bargains, Waterstones, WHSmiths etc etc.
Plus the indoor market, the bi-weekly outdoor market, a vintage indoor market selling period clothes and jewellery, small boutique shops/independent stores.

OR you could do an asda shop online!

if you get it to arrive during the day between lectures, delivery is just £3!

considering the bus is £2.25 and takes a good hour or two to get into town and go to sainsbury's, shop and back again, the £3 delivery is worth it. and asda smartprice items are just as cheap and nice as sainsbury's basics :smile:

I think min spend is about £25 i... i do this like every few weeks, then i just the essentials of milk, bread etc that you have to buy every few days at central or spar (central stores, a co cop, is next to pendle and grizedale, and spar is by alex sq near to fylde college)
Original post by hazzypants
OR you could do an asda shop online!

if you get it to arrive during the day between lectures, delivery is just £3!

considering the bus is £2.25 and takes a good hour or two to get into town and go to sainsbury's, shop and back again, the £3 delivery is worth it. and asda smartprice items are just as cheap and nice as sainsbury's basics :smile:

I think min spend is about £25 i... i do this like every few weeks, then i just the essentials of milk, bread etc that you have to buy every few days at central or spar (central stores, a co cop, is next to pendle and grizedale, and spar is by alex sq near to fylde college)

That's an old post lol.

On the Questions & Answers thread, I answered the same question a couple of days ago:

Depends on what you want. :smile:

In terms of food/grocery shopping:
- Spar/Central on campus are mini-markets, with a little bit of everything - including veg, hot food, frozen/fresh items, alcohol, basic household items like toilet roll. Can be quite expensive and are very busy at peak times.
- Sainsbury's in Lancaster - reasonable sized supermarket, with a cafe. It is located next to the bus station, so it is pretty easy to access and they even provide free buses to the place on a Wednesday.
- Booth's in Hala - half way between campus and Lancaster, situated on the X1, 2, 2A and 3 bus routes. A medium sized supermarket, again with lots of counters including fresh meats and hot food. Tend to stock more expensive items, but can have some good offers. :smile:
- Asda online delivery - the van is on campus all the time, coming from Morecambe. The delivery costs can be as little as £2.50/£3, if you time it right, or you could order with other people to split the cost. [Sainsbury's also do online delivery.] :smile:
- Tesco Metro/Express in Lancaster - small store but offers all the basics. It is very close to Chancellor's Wharf, so it is good for grabbing a few items if you live there. :smile:

Local less obvious choices [where I did most of my shopping lol]:
- Co-Op in Lancaster. It is next to the bus station [literally]. Small/medium in size. Often have good reductions.
- Mung Mee and the Chinese store in the market - both sell oriental goods. Great for things like tofu, spices, inported goods.
- Holland & Barrett in Lancaster - stocks various dried food items and has a fridge and frezer of decent vegan and vegetarian items.
- The Single Step Cooperative - vegetarian store, offering a great range of things. Large dried food section [eg, tvp, soya chunks, dried fruits], lots of different grains, huge spice selection [you can buy it in little paper bags - just the amount you need] along with some other items like vegan chocolate, organic vegetables etc.

Further afield:
- Asda Morecambe - two buses or a bus and walk from campus. Large store, but often very busy.
- Sainsbury's Morecambe - on the 2/2A bus route [you just stay on the bus through Lancaster]. Large store with electrical items, clothing, homeware items, counters for hot food, fish, meat, deli etc. [Groovy store with some great people - and I'm not just saying that because I worked there for a year lol :tongue:.]
- Morrison's Morecambe - on the sea front. Another large store, which can get quite busy.
- Tesco Metro Morecambe - larger than the Lancaster store, with a good range of booze etc.

Obviously, you also have the bi-weekly market, the indoor market, various butchers and bakers in Lancaster itself. Plus, you can often pick up branded [but cheap] food items in places like Home Bargains. Oh, and Marks & Spencers in Lancaster as a food hall.

So, the options are endless. :smile:

Lol.

I think there is something to be said for actually going to the shops though. You can get some great bargains and reductions by actually being in store and I think I would have gone a little stir crazy if I'd stayed on campus all the time. The bus service is pretty good, so getting to and from the supermarket is easy enough. :smile:
I'm deciding whether to accept my Lancaster offer or not at the moment so this is a great thread to read. That said, one of my main concerns about uni is that I'm not really that keen on drinking, I've been to a number of different clubs over here and house parties are usually pretty sweet, but is there a certain feel of being left out if you decide not to go out drinking more than once a week?
Original post by North Irelandman
I'm deciding whether to accept my Lancaster offer or not at the moment so this is a great thread to read. That said, one of my main concerns about uni is that I'm not really that keen on drinking, I've been to a number of different clubs over here and house parties are usually pretty sweet, but is there a certain feel of being left out if you decide not to go out drinking more than once a week?

Not at all. After freshers, I went drinking less often than once a week! I just had a scattering of 'big' nights out with some friends. The rest of the time, we did other things - day trips, theatre/cinema trips, meals out, cooking together in the flat, society events etc. :smile:
Not at all. After freshers, I went drinking less often than once a week! I just had a scattering of 'big' nights out with some friends. The rest of the time, we did other things - day trips, theatre/cinema trips, meals out, cooking together in the flat, society events etc. :smile:

That sounds good to me! I do enjoy drinking every so often, but I find those kind of activities just as fun in the right company. My stomach hates alcohol too, which is something I'm trying to get sorted before fresher's week!
Reply 33
judging from my own experience it seems to be just Sugarhouse every time

the night usually involves spending lots of money on alcohol, drinking it, spending more money on bus or cab, waiting in big queue for sugar house, spending more money to get into Sugarhouse, attempt to dance around/act like drunk idiot, incredibly bored but still have to wait till 2am when it closes, back to campus to go to sleep after such boring, expensive waste of time

there's a reason I stopped bothering with clubs in general :smile:

at least I can say I gave it a try

we did other things - day trips, theatre/cinema trips, meals out, cooking together in the flat, society events etc. :smile:

I wish my flat was more like this
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
That sounds good to me! I do enjoy drinking every so often, but I find those kind of activities just as fun in the right company. My stomach hates alcohol too, which is something I'm trying to get sorted before fresher's week!

Freshers - Just go for it. If you feel ill, take a night off but be ready to get going again the day after :P

After that, I have gone to Sugar about once a week. I still enjoy it because I go as a group with my flatmates, so my advice is that if during freshers your with a quiet flat, try and join up with a less quiet flat in your building in order to keep your options open :smile:
Original post by Davott
Freshers - Just go for it. If you feel ill, take a night off but be ready to get going again the day after :P

Haha I've had those kind of challenges before and managed to power through :tongue: A full week will be insane though, while we're on the subject; how does Freshers usually go down at Lancaster? Activities / traditions?

After that, I have gone to Sugar about once a week. I still enjoy it because I go as a group with my flatmates, so my advice is that if during freshers your with a quiet flat, try and join up with a less quiet flat in your building in order to keep your options open :smile:

I wouldn't mind doing just that, I imagine a quieter group to be harder to integrate into as the term goes on. I have a situation similar to that with my current groups of friends so I would love uni to be similar :smile:

Something I was wondering about Lancaster was whether there will be a lot of people going already knowing each other, especially considering there aren't a huge amount of universities in the area. Do you think that is the case? Of all my friends I'm the only Lancaster applicant, in fact that may be the case in my whole school year! Although in a way that is very exciting :biggrin:
Reply 36
Haha I've had those kind of challenges before and managed to power through :tongue: A full week will be insane though, while we're on the subject; how does Freshers usually go down at Lancaster? Activities / traditions?

Lots of alcohol, lots of standing in queues and a damn good week :biggrin: Each college runs a different freshers week so each one has different plans/traditions. However, whatever college you choose, the banter will be immense.

Something I was wondering about Lancaster was whether there will be a lot of people going already knowing each other, especially considering there aren't a huge amount of universities in the area. Do you think that is the case? Of all my friends I'm the only Lancaster applicant, in fact that may be the case in my whole school year! Although in a way that is very exciting :biggrin:

Not many of my friends here knew people before coming, and if they did they haven't continued talking to those people. It's best having a fresh start :smile:
Reply 37
I'm from Pembrokeshire so nightlife is guaranteed to be better in Lancaster but what about in neighbouring towns and cities? because I remember them saying they did do nights out to Manchester and stuff...
Also what can you do during the day on campus? and off campus what is there to do near by?
(such as football matches nearby and things of the sort, is it easy enough to access?)
(edited 12 years ago)

I wouldn't mind doing just that, I imagine a quieter group to be harder to integrate into as the term goes on. I have a situation similar to that with my current groups of friends so I would love uni to be similar :smile:

As said, people don't usually go in big groups of friends. I knew around 8 people at Lancaster before I started - I only stayed in close contact with one of those, but we lived in different flats, did different courses and joined different socities, so we both made a range of friends. :smile:

There are quite a few universities around here now. Liverpool obviously has 3, Manchester/Salford has 3, Preston has UCLAN, Carlisle and Lancaster itself has Cumbria Uni etc, plus Bolton has a university as does Blackpool. :smile:
Reply 39
it's terrible, you'll find only play people go to is Sugarhouse and it's just practically 2 big empty rooms next to each other with some flashy lights and a smoke machine along with a constant stream of awful top chart songs from 1990s that you've heard a million times in your childhood which is too loud to be able to talk in any way other than screaming in the other persons ear

Quick Reply

Latest