The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Abertay Students 2012!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Of course with other Abertay Students not allowed into Hack Labs I'm sure you aren't advocating taking a non-student into them panda :wink:
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 21
Hey guys,

Just sent my application for BA (Hons) Game Design & Production Management at Abertay and was wondering if anybody knows anything about the course. Just what sort of things do you study and how it's done, ie presentations, coursework, exam.

Really looking forward to starting later in the year, if i get in of course!
Reply 22
You actually have those stuff at their web page in modules section, you can even click on the module and everything is there and more
Reply 23
Aye i know that, but was more asking what the course is actually like rather than just module titles and generic descriptions.

I've already been to Dundee Uni a couple of years ago and partially completed a course before deciding it wasn't for me. The course itself was very different from what it said in the Course guide/website!
Reply 24
Must admit I don't know a great deal about GDPM, I know first year has a lot of stuff revolving around understanding the team you'll be managing so you do basic C++ and some arty stuff I believe, 2nd year onwards it's far more focused on what you'll be doing - things such as narrative theory and modules taught by the business school - if you have any specific questions I can track down a GDPM to ask - if you wanna know the assessment methods for any module I can easily look that up.
Reply 25
Original post by Brizee
Of course with other Abertay Students not allowed into Hack Labs I'm sure you aren't advocating taking a non-student into them panda :wink:

I'm sure if we talk to Colin and Natalie we can solve this problem :smile:
We have some non-EH/DF students in Ethical Hacking Society and for Securi-TAY there were some people not from Abertay participating in CTF, which took place in the hack lab.
Reply 26
Aye just winding you up, how's it going anyway Panda? Keeping up with coursework I hope?

Where are you new guys from anyhoo :smile:

I'm an Aberdeen native personally.
Reply 27
I cannot express how much I love this place. That was the first piece of coursework I've ever written and if it turns out that I've done everything right, then uni life is going to be quite simple. Wishing the same to all the students :smile:
I'm Russian from Estonia.
Reply 28
Watch out, we have a Russian hacker over here :biggrin: :wink:

I am from Slovakia

Any who, do you guys know anyone that offers a place to sleep for a couch-surfer?

PS. OMG, and I thought my sleeping schedule is wrecked and u guys r still up at 4AM :biggrin:
Reply 29
Sorry for only jumping in on this now! I'm Simon, the Vice President of the Students' Association at Abertay. We represent you guys to the university, run the clubs and societies, look after student welfare and representation, and fight for you if someone is being crooked :wink:

Original post by German_Saskia
I applied for Forensic Science. Just waiting for an answer. :smile:
If you have any questions on the course, let me know! I've just graduated from it!
Reply 30
Original post by DenkMit

If you have any questions on the course, let me know! I've just graduated from it!

Yeah thanks. Will do. Just wait for their choice. But one thing maybe. Abertay and Edinburgh Napier are in a neck to neck race. Pro`s and Con`s?:colondollar:
Reply 31
Original post by German_Saskia
Yeah thanks. Will do. Just wait for their choice. But one thing maybe. Abertay and Edinburgh Napier are in a neck to neck race. Pro`s and Con`s?:colondollar:

Edinburg is 1.5x more expensive :wink: if not more
Reply 32
Hey! I've applied to Abertay to do nursing and got a cheeky wee interview at the beginning of February! It was desribed as an informal group interview but I've sorta been stressing myself out about what to wear! Everyone seems to be saying smart casual but to be honest that has been no help whatsoever :frown:

I was thinking pencil skirt, blouse and heels? But I don't want to turn up and everyones in jeans or chinos.. I appreciate this thread was started by a male who may not know a great deal about women's clothing/interview attire but any feedback at this point would be much appreciated! :smile:

Also I read online informal interviews shouldn't be taken as seriously as formal interviews? Does this mean that everyone who applied was invited to an interview etc?

Thanks!
Reply 33
Hey panda , ive applied for EH and DF and have been told i will be getting an interview , i just wondering what kind of things you get asked in the interview and if you have any tips? Cheers
Reply 34
Original post by kungfuec
Hey! I've applied to Abertay to do nursing and got a cheeky wee interview at the beginning of February! It was desribed as an informal group interview but I've sorta been stressing myself out about what to wear! Everyone seems to be saying smart casual but to be honest that has been no help whatsoever :frown:

I was thinking pencil skirt, blouse and heels? But I don't want to turn up and everyones in jeans or chinos.. I appreciate this thread was started by a male who may not know a great deal about women's clothing/interview attire but any feedback at this point would be much appreciated! :smile:

Also I read online informal interviews shouldn't be taken as seriously as formal interviews? Does this mean that everyone who applied was invited to an interview etc?

Thanks!

Ok quick disclaimer first - I'm a guy which doesn't help obviously but I also applied to a different school (the Institute of Arts, Media and Computer Games as opposed to the School of Social and Health Sciences) and they do operate slightly differently to one another.

However of my experience it is most definitely on the casual side of smart casual personally I went to it in a Hoody, a t-shirt and a pair of jeans (Denkmit won't be surprised to hear this I assure you) however I would say swapping out the hoody and t-shirt for a shirt would have been a safe bet for me. That said I'm sure you'd see plenty of people dressed up more or less than that so you'll fit in either way. Overall wear something you are comfortable in since looking really awkward and like your outside your comfort zone at Uni isn't a great start to demonstrating you'll fit in.

Which nicely brings me round to the interview itself - rather than being a purely academic interrogation, if it's anything like mine, you're more likely to find that they are looking to see if you are going to fit in well on campus - I distinctly remember plenty of questions about my recreation rather than my experience with core subjects of the course. However the impression I got was that everyone who was invited to an interview was almost definitely getting an offer. In fact rather than decide whether you're getting on the course mine boiled down to deciding whether they should adjust the entry requirements to make it easier - which they did end result I got offered a condition of BBBBB instead of AABBB.

Final reminder: The methods used vary greatly from school to school so don't take that as concrete you are looking at an offer.
Out of interest, when did you send off your application?

Also, as an open question to anyone, are the EH and DF interviews in person or over the phone? I've heard various people say different things about this...

Original post by RocKape
Hey panda , ive applied for EH and DF and have been told i will be getting an interview , i just wondering what kind of things you get asked in the interview and if you have any tips? Cheers
Reply 36
In person normally - I've heard of a few folk getting a phone interview don't know why though.
Reply 37
Original post by Brizee
In person normally - I've heard of a few folk getting a phone interview don't know why though.

Cause some are international :smile: And I think those are gettin interview via Skype
Reply 38
Nah I remember one on here last year who lived in Dundee and got a phone interview :P
Has anyone got any offers yet?

Quick Reply

Latest