The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

PhD in Wolverhampton is it good enough?

Hi.

I'm a new member here :-)
I have interview for a PhD studentship in engineering at Wolverhampton University. I heard alot about how bad is the reputation of this uni.
Now im a bit confused and wondering if it worth doing and not good enough :confused:.

btw my MSc is from university of Liverpool.

Thanks
Depends on how much funding they are offering, etc. PhD's can be expensive. Moreover, if there are genuinely alternatives and whether you are just doing it for the love of learning or for future jobs, etc. Ofcourse, I am only going to start university from next year, so I won't exactly have extensive knowledge.

I can't speak of the university in question but as I say, I would make a note of the above when deciding.
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Deep456
Depends on how much funding they are offering, etc. PhD's can be expensive. Moreover, if there are genuinely alternatives and whether you are just doing it for the love of learning or for future jobs, etc. Ofcourse, I am only going to start university from next year, so I won't exactly have extensive knowledge.

I can't speak of the university in question but as I say, I would make a note of the above when deciding.

Thank you for you reply. Im not sure yet about the funding but i think that it would be fully funded.

Im doing it because i want to do a phd in my field and use it for future jobs ofcourse

I saw alot of threads here and on other sites talking about how low is this university in terms of reputation among the businesses and companies.

thanks
Original post by eng.memo82
Thank you for you reply. Im not sure yet about the funding but i think that it would be fully funded.

Im doing it because i want to do a phd in my field and use it for future jobs ofcourse

I saw alot of threads here and on other sites talking about how low is this university in terms of reputation among the businesses and companies.

thanks

I think if it is fully funded and you feel that in the current poor jobs market, you aren't likely to get a job then surely it would be worth a crack. Even if it receives low reviews, it gives you something to do, you may pick up some new skills and it can't hurt having a PhD.

Again, I stress, it is important to carefully consider your alternatives and that there may be better placed people to talk about this than myself.
I live Wolverhampton, even people who live here don't go to the uni and see it as a joke, with everything I know about it and the City, I really, really don't advise it and it could be said that I am biased but it is a fact that it is not a respected university. I have utmost respect for you doing a phd, especially in that subject!
I don't usually respond to threads on here unless I'm very interested in the subject, so I would just like to say to you, as personal as I can, don't attend the University, there are better options for you and better options in the Midlands, if that's where you want to study (Chester, Worsester, Birmingham City, Staffordshire).

Enjoy what you do, hope thats helps things and hasn't made things more complicated.
Reply 5
Original post by purple-laugh
I live Wolverhampton, even people who live here don't go to the uni and see it as a joke, with everything I know about it and the City, I really, really don't advise it and it could be said that I am biased but it is a fact that it is not a respected university. I have utmost respect for you doing a phd, especially in that subject!
I don't usually respond to threads on here unless I'm very interested in the subject, so I would just like to say to you, as personal as I can, don't attend the University, there are better options for you and better options in the Midlands, if that's where you want to study (Chester, Worsester, Birmingham City, Staffordshire).

Enjoy what you do, hope thats helps things and hasn't made things more complicated.

Thank you very much for your reply. Im really appreciate your honesty which is what i need.
As i said before i heard alot about this uni mostly BAD things lol thats why i posted my thread to get more details about this issue from ppl who have some information about this uni.
You know i wish i could do it at Birmingham uni, they have amazing department and high reputation in my field, but the funds are not available at the moment.

Hope to see more opinions.
Reply 6
Hope to see more opinions from you guys.
Reply 7
Hiya,

I think that for a PhD I would be more concerned about the reputation of my supervisor/group than that of the university. The quality of papers you publish, the contacts you meet through your supervisor, at conferences/workshops/seminars etc, the talks that you give yourself - these things are likely to get you a post-doc position. Of course a good university would be nice to have as well, but I wouldn't necessarily turn down a PhD position because, for example, the university is low in the league tables.

Have you checked the RAE rating for the department you would be in? That might tell you more about the quality of research in your area than anecdotes and league tables, which are probably mainly about undergraduate experiences.

Just my two cents worth, I'm sure some people will disagree. But I'd suggest you do your research into the group and your potential supervisor before you write it off.

Good luck,
Jen
(4th year PhD student)
Reply 8
Original post by jennym
Hiya,

I think that for a PhD I would be more concerned about the reputation of my supervisor/group than that of the university. The quality of papers you publish, the contacts you meet through your supervisor, at conferences/workshops/seminars etc, the talks that you give yourself - these things are likely to get you a post-doc position. Of course a good university would be nice to have as well, but I wouldn't necessarily turn down a PhD position because, for example, the university is low in the league tables.

Have you checked the RAE rating for the department you would be in? That might tell you more about the quality of research in your area than anecdotes and league tables, which are probably mainly about undergraduate experiences.

Just my two cents worth, I'm sure some people will disagree. But I'd suggest you do your research into the group and your potential supervisor before you write it off.

Good luck,
Jen
(4th year PhD student)

Hi Jen.

Thank you for your reply.
Are you doing your phd in Wolverhampton?

I have checked the RAE it came up with this results which im not sure what does it mean

8.00 5 25 35 30 5

The thing makes me worried that %85 of views on this uni is negative, not only negative but they warn you from it lol. I never seen a conflict in the opinions about a uni like the Wolverhampton.
Reply 9
No, I'm not at Wolverhampton, sorry. I am at King's.

The first number - 8 - is the number of full-time equivalent staff who were considered for the assessment. That's not a lot - it could be the university only submitted a few, or it could be that more were submitted but some were rejected (didn't meet required standards according to the RAE people).

The next numbers are the percentages of published work at 4*,3*,2*, 1* level and the last column is unclassified. 4* is highest. The full definitions are on the website - just click on the headings in the results.

I'd suggest you go back to the RAE website and look around some more - there are many clickable links. For example if you click on your subject you can see all of the UK universities that were assessed, and you can compare the results. This way you can see if Wolverhampton is top, bottom or somewhere in the middle in your area.

If you're really interested in doing a PhD I'd suggest you try to do a bit of a literature review to find out who is publishing in your area of interest, and then approach them (or look for adverts from them). You could also read some papers from your potential supervisor at Wolverhampton and see if it's interesting to you.

Best of luck,
Jen
Reply 10
Thank you Jen for your kind reply.
From what i can see this university has a bad reputation not only in their courses but also among the public. Other unis have low reputation but the city is nice, others good reputation but the city is not that good in this case it worth doing because as student i look for the uni education level first then other things come next.
In Wolverhampton case both the city and the uni have very negative views from the prospective students or even the graduates from it.

other opinions are more than welcome
Original post by eng.memo82
Hi.

I'm a new member here :-)
I have interview for a PhD studentship in engineering at Wolverhampton University. I heard alot about how bad is the reputation of this uni.
Now im a bit confused and wondering if it worth doing and not good enough :confused:.

btw my MSc is from university of Liverpool.

Thanks

Hi, i'm in a similar situation. I got an offer from university of wolverhampton but then also got an offer from university of bath. Now am confused on which to go for. What have u decided? and if u got any advice on this? Thanks
How do you know? If you are considering PhD study - at least be aware of the need to provide evidence for your conclusions! Wolverhampton University - like any other, is a large institution with many members of staff - for all of whom you have little regard. I don't see how you can know the strengths of those who work there and feel so confident in your evaluative skills that you can make public such derogatory comments.
Reply 13
"I saw alot of threads here and on other sites talking about how low is this university in terms of reputation among the businesses and companies."

The public negative reviews are mostly by youngsters with no employment experience, fantasising about how the prestige of the university they hope to get into will set them up for life. That is not how it works fortunately.

The league table poor reviews are because the university refuses to subscribe to submitting the necessary information as they regard it as an inaccurate gauge of performance. Student satisfaction and getting graduates into employment is what they prefer to use, and those figures are well celebrated on the website.

Ultimately, if area prestige matters to you and you will feel infinitely better stating to peers and potential employers that you attended x-other area university, don't attend Wolverhampton, someone else will be glad of the place.

Out of interest, why did you apply to Wolverhampton in the first place?
I've completed my BA (Hons) and my MA at Univ. of Wolverhampton. I have no regrets about choosing Wolverhampton for my MA and considering a phD too, providing there is a supervisor who can support my research interests.At school, we used to say it's where you go if you don't get good 'A' level grades. Having now completed two degrees there, I love the place, the people and the opportunities this establishment has.
I have completed my BA (Hons) and a PGCE at Univ. of Wolverhampton and I am currently undertaking my MA here (a pHD could also be on the cards). I totally agree with you Lin Barry; the support and level of teaching I have received throughout my time here has been excellent. As for opportunities, they are there for the taking.
I'm in my third year at Wolverhampton now, I chose to go there as I didn't want to move away from home. At first I was sceptical because the uni was not published in the league tables, however, I've made some good friends and I get along with my teachers well. So far my experience at Wolverhampton has been great, I'll miss it when I graduate!
If you want to continue in academia or take your specific PhD-related skills to industry, the reputation of the specific group and your specific adviser matters while that of the university does not matter much if at all.

If you do not want to do one of those things then getting a PhD is very questionable in any circumstances.
If it were undergrad I would say be cautious but for a PHD you don't often get the luxury of where you want to go exactly as it often depends on whether you can even find a supervisor for that specific subject. Many people won't even state where they did their masters onwards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending