The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I am 19, from Brazil, and applying for RADA and Central.

Having a very hard time finding a contemporary monologue that suits my age/genre/personality! But I am resisting the urge to go to monologue books! I shall not! haha

And I have a question for people who already auditioned: did they ask you to present your song? I have one just in case, sure, but I wanted to know how was the experience of presenting it...
Reply 141
Hey guys, just wanted to ask your opinion on something:
I want to do Lady Macbeth (the sleepwalking scene) as my Shakespeare speech...now I'm a bit worried, because they all tell you to choose a role close to your own age. I don't feel that age is a problem in this particular monologue, but still I'm a bit concerned.
What do you think?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys,

I've just done my auditions at LAMDA, Rose Bruford and some other Unis for Drama courses. I've written about it on my blog. Have a look and hopefully it will help with questions about the day etc! :smile:

dramaschooljourney.blogspot .com
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone at LIPA on Sunday?
Reply 144
Original post by iamcait
Hi Molly,
I've got a conditional from Glamorgan :smile: You should hear from them very soon! I did my interview back in December. Really enjoyed it! How did your interview go and what did you think?

Hi Molly and Cait,
I have an unconditional offer from Glamorgan :smile: Which course did you apply for? You're both the first people I've found that have applied there! I loved it, and am pretty sure it's where i'll be going in september.. is it a first choice for either of you?
Reply 145
Original post by imogenrh
Hi Molly and Cait,
I have an unconditional offer from Glamorgan :smile: Which course did you apply for? You're both the first people I've found that have applied there! I loved it, and am pretty sure it's where i'll be going in september.. is it a first choice for either of you?

I applied for the Drama and Theatre course. The rest of my choices were to do acting so it depends on whether I get a place on an acting course. If I don't get a place on the courses, Glamorgan will become my first choice :smile: It seems like such a great place to study and it's only a 50 min train journey from my home so I wouldn't be disappointed if I had to go there.
Had my auditon for Cumbria and RSC, anyone got an audition for Northumbria on the 22nd?
Reply 147
In regards to the Scot's Play speech...i wouldn't recommend it. Honestly. I did it when I applied to a big Shakespeare company here in the states. I was told I was very talented and they loved my Lady M, but to come back and audition with that when I was in my 30s. Not what you want to hear. If I'd gone for something more age appropriate, I'm fairly sure I would've received the coveted apprenticeship i was going for. It's a wonderful speech, but I really would recommend something more age appropriate so those auditioning you can visualize you as the young woman you are...not you in 10 years.
Reply 148
Will I be seeing any other BA Acting applicants at either the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland on 7th February, or at Royal Welsh on 8th?
Original post by annnny

Original post by annnny
Hey guys, just wanted to ask your opinion on something:
I want to do Lady Macbeth (the sleepwalking scene) as my Shakespeare speech...now I'm a bit worried, because they all tell you to choose a role close to your own age. I don't feel that age is a problem in this particular monologue, but still I'm a bit concerned.
What do you think?

well, I am also auditioning and it is known, as you said, that it is better to choose something closer to your age. that is mainly because they don't want to see just the character, but they also want to see you and your personality. so if you plan on going on with this monologue (which is a great one, and if you are comfortable and confident with it I say go for it) just be sure that you know:
a- why did you choose this? (apart from the fact that it is a beautiful and touching piece)
b- what similarities do you have with the character?
c- what made you choose this one over so many possible monologues closer to your age?

it sure is a bold move! but I mean, not everybody that got into drama schools did monologues close to their age, so... study it a lot and do the best you can! if you don't feel comfortable/confident, change it! best of luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
hello!

I wanted to know if there's anybody applying for East 15, and if people could tell me about the school.
I've read the prospectus and thought it was great, but I just don't see people talking that much about this school or applying there... As I'm not a UK/EU applicant, I have no idea about the school's reputations ;// (apart from RADA and those other super famous ones haha)
thanks and good luck guys!
Original post by StephanieAmora
hello!

I wanted to know if there's anybody applying for East 15, and if people could tell me about the school.
I've read the prospectus and thought it was great, but I just don't see people talking that much about this school or applying there... As I'm not a UK/EU applicant, I have no idea about the school's reputations ;// (apart from RADA and those other super famous ones haha)
thanks and good luck guys!

Ive applied there. have'nt got a date for my audition yet though. yeh i know people seem to talk about it less. i guess central, rada and guildhall take all the limelight. Its still a reputable school though.
I dont care which school i get into as long as its accredited and im on the acting course i couldnt give a flying uff!
Anyone got central date on April 11th???? like one of the last dates.. LOOOL
Reply 153
has anyone had a leeds interview already?
i have one tomorrow and i'm bricking it :frown:

any advice or hints about what to expect with the practical aspect?
:smile:
Reply 154
Ive got an interview at Central on March 6th for Design. Deeeead scary.
Hope my portfolio will be finished by then.
Original post by imogenrh
Hi Molly and Cait,

Hello everyone!

Well done both of you for your offers :smile: I got offered a conditional place after my interview and think I will be making it my first choice too depending on how LIPA goes in march! Your the first two people I've heard outside of the interview that are applying there and met some lovely people on the interview too, seems like a really nice place!
Reply 156
Got an interview at RWCMD in two weeks. Eeek. Thats really short notice, but itll keep me on my toes.
Cant wait, Cardiff is my first choice!
Reply 157
Had an offer from Carmarthen to do Acting so this will probably be my first choice of I don't get into Rose Bruford, Royal Welsh, LAMDA or RADA. Think I'll be putting Glamorgan as an insurance :smile:
I have applied for Technical Theatre and Stage Management at RADA, ALRA and East 15. I have been to all my interviews and have an unconditional offer at East 15, a reserve offer at ALRA and am waiting for a decision from RADA. If anyone is in a similar position get in touch.
Harvey
This is how its going so far! ;
Guildhall- No recall
Drama Centre- Recall then a no.
Rada- Still waiting after recall audition last week
Lamda- 5th Feb
Rose Bruford-21st feb
Bristol Old Vic- waiting for an audition date

:biggrin: How's it going for everybody else?!

Quick Reply

Latest