The Student Room Group

Are there any apprenticeships for forensic science?

Hello, I was just wondering if anybody knows whether apprenticeships are offered in forensic science. I'd love to become a lab technician within the forensic industry but cannot seem to find anywhere that offers them. Thanks for any help :smile:
I'm not sure if these even exist, but have a look at www.apprenticeships.org.uk to see if they have anything. Forensic science is notoriously difficult to get into, so you would also need a lot of relevant work experience to gain employment afterwards, as well as your apprenticeship.
Reply 2
My sister looked at working in a forensic lab, I think she said there was basically only like 3 places in the country that even do it, and they don't require a huge number of people.
I think it is very hard to find and get an job in the field.

Second had information, though, so don't take my word for it.
Depending on what part of the lab you want to work in you could well find your experience outside the field. DNA analysis is the same in a forensics lab as in a molecular biology lab at a university with the only major difference being that you might have to give evidence in court as a forensic scientist.

Whilst not an apprenticeship you could well try the police specials. You can probably shadow people in scientific support there.
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I'm not sure if these even exist, but have a look at www.apprenticeships.org.uk to see if they have anything. Forensic science is notoriously difficult to get into, so you would also need a lot of relevant work experience to gain employment afterwards, as well as your apprenticeship.
It's actually not that hard it's just people try to get in without knowing what they will be doing. If you jump in with a forensics degree they'll ask you if you can use a mass spec, create gel for SD-PAGE, primer design or the annealing temperature in PCR and you'll look blankly on. If you've done a hard, specific science that is relevant to the area you will work in, have shown a long term and well informed interest in the field and you have chased opportunities to get proper experience then it's no more difficult than most other fields of science.
As it's already been stated. Not an 'apprenticeship' but a degree. Check this link...

http://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_courses/Crime_Scene_&_Forensic_Science/MSc_Forensic_Science.cfm
Original post by Lee R
As it's already been stated. Not an 'apprenticeship' but a degree. Check this link...

http://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_courses/Crime_Scene_&_Forensic_Science/MSc_Forensic_Science.cfm
Whilst an MSc is OK if you have first done your undergrad in a more specific science it is generally a very bad idea to do a degree in forensic science. You don't get onto the field as a recent graduate but instead after years working in a lab handling specimens and so on. You will be doing a specific job and that job will either require an accountancy background, a molecular biology background, a law background, maths background, computer background, chemistry background... you get the picture. You will get your first job on the basis of being good at something specific though and a forensics degree does not equip you with the necessary skills.
Original post by Llamageddon
Whilst an MSc is OK if you have first done your undergrad in a more specific science it is generally a very bad idea to do a degree in forensic science. You don't get onto the field as a recent graduate but instead after years working in a lab handling specimens and so on. You will be doing a specific job and that job will either require an accountancy background, a molecular biology background, a law background, maths background, computer background, chemistry background... you get the picture. You will get your first job on the basis of being good at something specific though and a forensics degree does not equip you with the necessary skills.

Agreed. Basically you need experiance over 'paper qualifications' that said, if you don't have an other route there is always the MSc to add to your CV and knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending