The Student Room Group

Why do student guys look so scruffy and badly dressed?

I've noticed that a lot of student guys tend to look scruffy. They wear really casual clothes, they don't dress nicely at all, and tend to have really messy hair, etc.

Why is this? I like men to be well dressed and to make an effort, as there's nothing like a well-dressed man.

I don't mean to be picky, it's just what I've noticed....
Reply 1
because students usually have very little money... :L
We sometimes make an effort! But it's not always worth it when all you're going to do is go to a lesson and then spend the rest of the day eating pot noodle. :L
Reply 3
We're not all like that :smile: I for one, never leave the house without looking presentable, it's the way I've always been. I can see what you mean though, a lot seem uninterested in bothering.
Reply 4
because they're all virgins and wanna look easy.
Reply 5
we dont all do that
i cant stand to sit in the house doin work never mind leave without looking atleast half decent but thats just how i was brought up
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I've noticed that a lot of student guys tend to look scruffy. They wear really casual clothes, they don't dress nicely at all, and tend to have really messy hair, etc.

Why is this? I like men to be well dressed and to make an effort, as there's nothing like a well-dressed man.

I don't mean to be picky, it's just what I've noticed....

Because when we make an effort and dress smart we get ridiculed and then told to change it to be more casual......
Reply 7
In St Andrews many of the male students wear tweed, Ralph Lauren, smart jackets, shirts, trousers and Oxford shoes. I've never really seen any guys here who are dressed-up scruffy.
they don't dress to suit you.

they probably don't care if you judge them.
Ey, woah woah, ey - we aren't all like that.
I may dress slightly casual (Jeans and a T-shirt) but why not? You'd look a bit ridiculous wandering round in a suit + tie every day.
As for the hair - maybe they like the scruffy look?
I value comfort over appearance.
I don't understand it, some people seem to be happy to look like slobs.

Here you get posh people dressing like they want to be chavs. Those stupid flat rimmed caps that look like a pan on your head, baggy tracksuit bottoms, hoodys and hi tops. I'm pretty sure that Tinchy Strider didn't go to Eton with you. Stop it.
A lot of people, myself included don't see the point in dressing 'smart' if we are just going to a lecture or being at home most of the time. If I'm going out at night or going out for a meal I will dress nicer.
It's called Slacker Chic; it's happening, in a big way!
Reply 14
Nobody cares

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending