The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kaylaleigh
Yeah they also had other sessions for uni interview practice and similar things last year, I didn't go to those though. I did vet science and bioscience....and now I'm intending to do languages! At the time though I was considering nutrition (which came into the bioscience strand), either way it was great fun :smile:

I'm 100% sure i want to apply now with all the positive views! :biggrin: What did you end up applying for, for Sept 2012? :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by Mr Ben
I don't think it's being ran anymore, fairly certain NAGTY closed down or changed name years ago.

I've always thought waves were interesting, or pretty at least. But I'm a bit of a geek like that :cool:

Do you know of any other summer schools that run? :smile:

Ha, are you still at uni/what course are you doing? :tongue: My last module was on electricity and deformation and all that exciting stuff. January module was horrible. Questions were a nightmare :frown:
hey guys, you know going to these summer schools does it actually help you to get a place at that university in the future ? Or is it just for the experience ? Say if I applied for the summer school and Cambridge for Law, and I got accepted to the summer school, does it any way heighten my chance for getting accepted to study law when if I apply to it in the future to study there in 2013 ?
Original post by LaydurrDude
In my dreams, Cambridge but in reality hopefully somewhere in England. No idea where though. (I'm from Northern Ireland :tongue:) Haven't really thought about Scotland. Apparently it's hard for us foreigners to get places at Scottish unis or so our teachers tell us :confused: What about yourself? :redface:

Yh Cambridge is my dream as well :love:
Are there any really good uni's in northern ireland. I'd imagine it'd be rather hard (and slightly inconvienient) to travel all the way to scotland or somewhere in England. Obviously you'd be happy to move to Cambridge though :biggrin:
I've considered places like St Andrews, but in reality it's gonna be either Cambridge or Leicester (my hometown) to go to uni. I wanna do maths btw :smile:
Reply 44
Do you know of any other summer schools that run? :smile:

Ha, are you still at uni/what course are you doing? :tongue: My last module was on electricity and deformation and all that exciting stuff. January module was horrible. Questions were a nightmare :frown:

I don't off the top of my head, but I know some people who work in the access office, might be able to find out from them. I'll ask next time I see them.

I'm not at uni right now, had to withdraw from my first degree cause of some medical problems (sounds a bit better than "I dropped out") but I'm going back to uni in September to do maths at Manchester, can't wait.
Original post by Roshniroxy
hey guys, you know going to these summer schools does it actually help you to get a place at that university in the future ? Or is it just for the experience ? Say if I applied for the summer school and Cambridge for Law, and I got accepted to the summer school, does it any way heighten my chance for getting accepted to study law when if I apply to it in the future to study there in 2013 ?

Not particularly I don't think.
Reply 46
Original post by Roshniroxy

I think i read somewhere that it doesn't heighten your chances. It's solely just for experience :smile:

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Yh Cambridge is my dream as well :love:
Are there any really good uni's in northern ireland. I'd imagine it'd be rather hard (and slightly inconvienient) to travel all the way to scotland or somewhere in England. Obviously you'd be happy to move to Cambridge though :biggrin:
I've considered places like St Andrews, but in reality it's gonna be either Cambridge or Leicester (my hometown) to go to uni. I wanna do maths btw :smile:

Hmm... i think the best uni we have here is Queen's University in Belfast. I really dont want to stay here though, i want to travel across the bit of water between the 2 islands! :tongue: I wouldnt mind travelling but probably at the time when i have to move all my crap to and from it'll be a different story...
What A-Levels are you doing? :smile: I wanna do medicine but i'm regretting not trying harder in my GCSEs! Maybe if i do REALLY well at AS Level i could see you about Cambridge? :rolleyes:
I think i read somewhere that it doesn't heighten your chances. It's solely just for experience :smile:

Hmm... i think the best uni we have here is Queen's University in Belfast. I really dont want to stay here though, i want to travel across the bit of water between the 2 islands! :tongue: I wouldnt mind travelling but probably at the time when i have to move all my crap to and from it'll be a different story...
What A-Levels are you doing? :smile: I wanna do medicine but i'm regretting not trying harder in my GCSEs! Maybe if i do REALLY well at AS Level i could see you about Cambridge? :rolleyes:

Have you visited Cambridge? Which colleges do you like best?
Reply 48
Original post by Mr Ben
I don't off the top of my head, but I know some people who work in the access office, might be able to find out from them. I'll ask next time I see them.

I'm not at uni right now, had to withdraw from my first degree cause of some medical problems (sounds a bit better than "I dropped out") but I'm going back to uni in September to do maths at Manchester, can't wait.

Would be much appreciated if you could find out! I need something for the residential section of my Duke of Edinburgh and a summer school somewhere would be helpful and fun :smile:

Did you actually just decide to drop out or what? Hehe :redface: I don't think i'd be able to take maths past A Level. Maths teacher told us that the C4 paper is almost impossible to get good marks in! :confused:

Oh well I've never heard of it (then again I haven't heard of many unis :smile:) Yh I mean if you want to travel then it's perfectly fine to go uni in England or whatever, but it still takes the piss to move all your stuff from one place to the other and it'd be a bit long to visit family :frown:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics :smile: GCSE's are much of a consideration for Cambridge (I dunno about other uni's though) so you just need to make sure that you smash your AS's and have a good P.S. :biggrin:
What subjects are you doing? :smile:
Reply 50
Would be much appreciated if you could find out! I need something for the residential section of my Duke of Edinburgh and a summer school somewhere would be helpful and fun :smile:

Did you actually just decide to drop out or what? Hehe :redface: I don't think i'd be able to take maths past A Level. Maths teacher told us that the C4 paper is almost impossible to get good marks in! :confused:

Sure, no problem. I'll let you know when I find out via a PM if this thread dies.

Nah, I didn't decide to, things got pretty damned rough in terms of my health, I'm good now though, managed to get through it eventually.

Edit: I don't agree with your teacher, if you put the work in you should be fine with C4, I wouldn't say it's that much harder than C3
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Natalie21
Have you visited Cambridge? Which colleges do you like best?

Yeah, i have. It's such a beautiful place :rolleyes: As soon as you walk out of the train station, it's bikes everywhere. And i mean literally everywhere!

I know people at Robinson and Corpus but i've only actually been inside Robinson. Robinson's the red brick one, it's kind of ugly tbh and you almost never get phone signal but apparently it has the best food :smile:

I've walked through King's gardens and it's pretty amazing. It's always filled with tourists so i wouldn't want a tourist knocking on my window for a picture...

What about you? Have you been? :smile:
Yeah, i have. It's such a beautiful place :rolleyes: As soon as you walk out of the train station, it's bikes everywhere. And i mean literally everywhere!

I know people at Robinson and Corpus but i've only actually been inside Robinson. Robinson's the red brick one, it's kind of ugly tbh and you almost never get phone signal but apparently it has the best food :smile:

I've walked through King's gardens and it's pretty amazing. It's always filled with tourists so i wouldn't want a tourist knocking on my window for a picture...

What about you? Have you been? :smile:

Yeah I've been loads of time - tbh there is no phone signal anywhere :P

I've stayed at Kings, St Catherines, Newnham, Churchill and Murray Edwards :smile:
I went in 2010 and it was amazing, would rec it to anyone
Reply 54
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Oh well I've never heard of it (then again I haven't heard of many unis :smile:) Yh I mean if you want to travel then it's perfectly fine to go uni in England or whatever, but it still takes the piss to move all your stuff from one place to the other and it'd be a bit long to visit family :frown:

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics :smile: GCSE's are much of a consideration for Cambridge (I dunno about other uni's though) so you just need to make sure that you smash your AS's and have a good P.S. :biggrin:
What subjects are you doing? :smile:

I hadn't heard of many unis then one day i decided to google unis in the UK! Hopefully i'll get to a uni where they cook for you! :tongue: I couldnt imagine myself haven't the time (get off my arse) to cook for myself! But then again i'm kind of excited to live the student life! :redface:

There's people in my class doing further maths that got 30 odd percent in normal maths. Crazy or what. See some people i've been speaking to say that Cambridge don't really consider GCSEs that much unless it's between you and some else but i suppose we'd never find out the truth :confused:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. We have mathematical subjects in common! :tongue:

Original post by Mr Ben
Sure, no problem. I'll let you know when I find out via a PM if this thread dies.

Nah, I didn't decide to, things got pretty damned rough in terms of my health, I'm good now though, managed to get through it eventually.

Edit: I don't agree with your teacher, if you put the work in you should be fine with C4, I wouldn't say it's that much harder than C3

Thanks a bunch in advance! :biggrin:

Ah, not good. At least you're all good now and hopefully it'll stay that way *touch wood* :redface:

Well i've just completed C1 and in the process of finishing C2 and yet to start M1 for summer modules. Yay...

Off topic but what's student life like? :smile:
Reply 55

Off topic but what's student life like? :smile:

I know it sound cliché, but student life is what you make of it, if you get stuck in and are happy to get involved with things that are going on, it's amazing
Reply 56
Yeah I've been loads of time - tbh there is no phone signal anywhere :P

I've stayed at Kings, St Catherines, Newnham, Churchill and Murray Edwards :smile:

How come you've been so many times? :smile: I'd love to go again!

Which one of those colleges would you recommend? I've heard Selwyn has really bad food but it's out of the busy town though, which is a plus :redface:

Original post by TheBlackMonster
I went in 2010 and it was amazing, would rec it to anyone

Hiya, what subject/uni did you do? :smile:
I hadn't heard of many unis then one day i decided to google unis in the UK! Hopefully i'll get to a uni where they cook for you! :tongue: I couldnt imagine myself haven't the time (get off my arse) to cook for myself! But then again i'm kind of excited to live the student life! :redface:

There's people in my class doing further maths that got 30 odd percent in normal maths. Crazy or what. See some people i've been speaking to say that Cambridge don't really consider GCSEs that much unless it's between you and some else but i suppose we'd never find out the truth :confused:

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. We have mathematical subjects in common! :tongue:

Cambridge do look at GCSEs - just not as much as places like Oxford.
How come you've been so many times? :smile: I'd love to go again!

Which one of those colleges would you recommend? I've heard Selwyn has really bad food but it's out of the busy town though, which is a plus :redface:

Because I've been to loads of summer schools there.

Well Newnham and Murray Edwards are girl only colleges.

Selwyn is not that far from town tbh - like a 5 min walk.
Reply 59
Because I've been to loads of summer schools there.

Well Newnham and Murray Edwards are girl only colleges.

Selwyn is not that far from town tbh - like a 5 min walk.

How did you get to do so many summer schools? :confused:

Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest