1 why do u want to be a social worker and what
Skills and attributes do you have and think are
Necessary.

2. 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses

3 what is your definition of discrimination

They may give u scenarios of service users and
Ask your opinion. They say they don't expect u
To know all about social work,x but you should
Understand service users expectations of a social worker.

I know it's not any of the unis you are going to
But hope this might help
Reply 41
thankyou Pia '') x
Reply 42
Has anyone had an interview at York University for social work? i've got mine tomorrow!! anyone know of any possible questions they will ask?
Reply 43
still haven't heard anything from york, app was sent end of oct
Reply 44
I sent mine off mid november, im really nervous!
Reply 45
Thankyou pia :smile:
Reply 46
Anyone had an interview at leeds uni?
Reply 47
hey,

there aren't many threads around for Ba/Bsc Social Work 2012
as many of us would like to know if people have received replies etc.
and tips for interviews or written tests

i applied to bath, lancaster, sussex, kent and goldsmiths

Kent have invited me to take a written test on the 26th, which they said you do not need to prepare for

and Sussex sent me an extended personal statement, a stage 2. consisting of 6 questions, a second reference and a piece of marked work (essay format)
i sent that back, so waiting for their reply

and finally Bath invited me for an interview on the 1st Feb, which i'm really nervous about as i've heard it's verrry hard! and would love some interview tips. i know on the day there is also a written test before the interview, which is based on a case study they send to you beforehand
Reply 48
Original post by L2307

Original post by L2307
Anyone had an interview at leeds uni?

My first interview was at Leeds. I thought it went absolutely awful but I got a conditional offer :biggrin:

They asked things like:
- Why social work
- How I would define a social worker
- Values of a social worker
- Why people have a bad opinion of social workers
- Discrimination in Britain today
- What my experiences (voluntary or paid) had taught me about social work
- They also asked me about 2 scenarios. One was about an older person injuring themselves and wanting to live at home rather than stay in hospital. The second was about the damages of a person with mental health issues being taken into hospital against their wishes.
Reply 49
Original post by TMaj
My first interview was at Leeds. I thought it went absolutely awful but I got a conditional offer :biggrin:

They asked things like:
- Why social work
- How I would define a social worker
- Values of a social worker
- Why people have a bad opinion of social workers
- Discrimination in Britain today
- What my experiences (voluntary or paid) had taught me about social work
- They also asked me about 2 scenarios. One was about an older person injuring themselves and wanting to live at home rather than stay in hospital. The second was about the damages of a person with mental health issues being taken into hospital against their wishes.

i really want to go to leeds, its my first choice. how was the written test?
Reply 50
Original post by L2307

Original post by L2307
i really want to go to leeds, its my first choice. how was the written test?

I can't remember that much now but I think the written test was on a scenario with a young man who was going to a day centre but not taking part in the activities with others and wouldn't explain why. You had to identify the 3 problems and then say what you as his social worker, would to address them.
Reply 51
First time I ever post on this so feeling nervous!
I've applied to do social work at Sussex, Brighton, Greenwich, Canterbury, and Kingston.
I sent my application off two weeks ago and Canterbury sent me an email saying that i have to write a 'Personal statement in which you give your views on the role of professional social work today and explain why you believe this is the right career choice for you at this time'.
I've been sitting staring at this for ages and I feel nervous about even beginning to write!
Anyone got any tips on how to start? Or anything?
Would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by adjesus
First time I ever post on this so feeling nervous!
I've applied to do social work at Sussex, Brighton, Greenwich, Canterbury, and Kingston.
I sent my application off two weeks ago and Canterbury sent me an email saying that i have to write a 'Personal statement in which you give your views on the role of professional social work today and explain why you believe this is the right career choice for you at this time'.
I've been sitting staring at this for ages and I feel nervous about even beginning to write!
Anyone got any tips on how to start? Or anything?
Would be much appreciated :smile:

A good way to start would be with bullet points of the things you want to include. Once you have got those, you will see which ones link together and can write writing it out properly.
www.communitycare.co.uk is a useful website and will give you some insight into the role.
Remember that you need to be reflective and show them why you are a suitable candidate :smile:
Reply 53
Thought I would add to this thread, I've applied to Bath, Birmingham, Gloucestershire, Winchester and York. The only one I have heard from is Bath, and they have invited me to interview on the 1st Feb, looking at the other posts on here I'm not alone! Bath have sent a 12 page document which we have to bring with us and subsequently write a piece/answer questions on the document. We then have an individual interview. I'm hoping I'll be able to actually write something legible on the day!
Reply 54
Original post by dan_oufc
Thought I would add to this thread, I've applied to Bath, Birmingham, Gloucestershire, Winchester and York. The only one I have heard from is Bath, and they have invited me to interview on the 1st Feb, looking at the other posts on here I'm not alone! Bath have sent a 12 page document which we have to bring with us and subsequently write a piece/answer questions on the document. We then have an individual interview. I'm hoping I'll be able to actually write something legible on the day!

hey Dan,

yes in the letter is says, we register at 10.15 and at 11 there is a 1hr written test, and from 12/1-5.30 interviews which will last 20mins long will commence.

also the 12pg article they sent, read over it a few times

Good Luck!
Reply 55
Original post by SabzReal
hey Dan,

yes in the letter is says, we register at 10.15 and at 11 there is a 1hr written test, and from 12/1-5.30 interviews which will last 20mins long will commence.

also the 12pg article they sent, read over it a few times

Good Luck!

Hi, yeah its going to be an interesting day! The article is long but should be an interesting read! Good luck to you too :smile:.
Reply 56
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
A good way to start would be with bullet points of the things you want to include. Once you have got those, you will see which ones link together and can write writing it out properly.
www.communitycare.co.uk is a useful website and will give you some insight into the role.
Remember that you need to be reflective and show them why you are a suitable candidate :smile:

thankyou so much! That websites really usefull. Cracking on with it now :smile:
Reply 57
I have offers from Chichester and Gloucester =D
What about you guys?
Reply 58
Hi, Kitty-Kat, I've also applied to keele and have an interview, how did the written piece go? Have you received an offer?
Is it based on an article?
Also if you wouldn't mind answering, does the written piece involve knowledge of social work practice or is it genuinely based on writing ability?

Thanks
Reply 59
I didn't apply to Keele but I have a friend who goes there. From what I've experienced at Gloucester, Chichester and Oxford Brookes, the written pieces went well, they give you a scenario to write about (or at least that's what I've had to do where I've interviewed). You don't need a lot of knowledge, everywhere I went I was told that it's to judge your writing abilities, whether you're able to give a coherent argument etc but saying that, showing that you have some idea of what social work involves will reflect well. I've had offers from both Chichester and Gloucester and I'm currently waiting for Oxford Brookes to update my track.

Hope that helps =]

Quick Reply

Latest