The Student Room Group

F584 - OCR 23rd January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by don'tTRIP.
What are the grade boundaries like for Transport? Been revising like an absolute nutcase; hoping for an A* in Economics :yy:

Also, you don't have to get over 90 UMS on both papers, right? I remember my teacher telling us about one guy who averaged 90 in both, with 80-something in this paper.

Fairly lowish i think :s-smilie: If i remember correctly it was like 51 ish for 90% ums.

Same, need to get high marks in the essay though :/ and that's dependent on what questions come up :s-smilie:

And its 90% average from the A2 units, so you could get 100% in one and 80% in the other and get an A* :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by sigma1
Anyone got advice on essay structure? Need an A in this!

I also wouldn't mind help on layout/any tips for the essay questions if anyone has some advice :biggrin:

I'll post my standard essay question layouts later :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by fiona23
I just read the book made notes and read some revision materials and just doing the past papers. How about you? I'm really not looking forward for this exam, so worried! :/

same... already had 3 exams last week so ive havent had any time for transport...

I'm going through the text book making notes, learning definitions and graphs etc.

I need an A in this paper for sure! do u know any good websites?
Reply 23
Original post by TrampingRampage
Yeh I understand what you mean :P sometimes I just wish you could mix and match parts a) and b).. I find with the two parts they are kind of related and I have no idea if you could use the points from part a to get marks in part b etc...

How are you revising? Do you use the green Bamford text book?

I've been reading the book and making notes and just do papers. I find it really hard to actually memorise things from transport. Yh I'm using the OCR economics text book by Bamford, Grant and Walton, also used the Allan Anderton book. I find that more helpful than the text book.

How about you?
Reply 24
Original post by Beast1
same... already had 3 exams last week so ive havent had any time for transport...

I'm going through the text book making notes, learning definitions and graphs etc.

I need an A in this paper for sure! do u know any good websites?

tutor2u is good, My teacher bought a revision pack from there which I thought was ok. I would send it to u but I can't since I only have printed copy.

I need to get 7 ums points overall for my economics to get an A. I just had the resit for f582, I just hope I got enough marks on there to get an A overall as I'm not looking forward to transport at all :/
Reply 25
I got 90% in my AS exams or 90ums what ever. Do I still need 80% in the A2 modules for a grade A, or do I have a margin of safety? If I don't have a margin of safety then can someone please tell me what is the point in the AS exams except getting offers from University?

Anyway I hope sustainability / road pricing / maybe a market structure, to come up. I'd feel average about CBA, I just hope the question is obvious in what it's asking, not always sure whether to talk about COBA and AST separately.

The best is probably's sustainability, most people are just intimidated by the word but it's probably the easiest one since it gives you so much choice. Anything that reduces emissions / consumption is regarded as an answer pretty much, so VED, LEZ, Road pricing, ERP, London Charge...Crossrail...subsidies of buses, subsidies of trains...on the other hand things like airport infrastructure building / EU skies policy is against it.

I hope Privatisation / deregulation of random specific markets don't come up...
Does anyone else agree that the transport economics questions are far too specific in general? Does my nut in, makes revision ten times longer...
Reply 26
How does road pricing lead to an integrated transport policy??

Thanks
Reply 27
Also how to write a good judgement?

My teacher said judgement will be things like "it may depend upon..." but the mark scheme isnt very clear on that :/
Reply 28
What areas are people focusing revision on?
Could they ask us to distinguish between a contestable market and a perfectly contestable market?
Reply 30
Could they ask us to distinguish between a contestable market and a perfectly contestable market?

I think they could but most likely it would be the 8 mark or 6mark.
Reply 31
Essays - could someone give me a hand?

atm the structure i use is:
for the 15 mark:
L1 - definitions
L2 - examples & explanation
L3 - Diagram and explain

for the 20 mark:
L1 - definitions
L2 - Examples [more brief than in the 15 mark]
L3 - diagram and explain
L4 - evaluation - 2 points for, 2 points against.

Is there anything i can add? and how do you guys do your essay questions? :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by fiona23
How does road pricing lead to an integrated transport policy??

Thanks

Hmm..
one way is if the government hypothecate the tax to subsidise a more sustainable transport mode.
For example, all the money the government gets from road pricing could be spent subsidising bus companies, who may lower prices/offer a better quality of services and so this may lead to transport integration. or they could spend the money on new infrastructure for example cross rail :smile:
I'm not sure if this is entirely right or if there's anything else i could of added :s-smilie: but i would have written something along the lines of this.
Reply 33
Original post by Tom_L
Hmm..
one way is if the government hypothecate the tax to subsidise a more sustainable transport mode.
For example, all the money the government gets from road pricing could be spent subsidising bus companies, who may lower prices/offer a better quality of services and so this may lead to transport integration. or they could spend the money on new infrastructure for example cross rail :smile:
I'm not sure if this is entirely right or if there's anything else i could of added :s-smilie: but i would have written something along the lines of this.

Thanks. Would it also be right to think its because road pricing will reduce vehicles on roads and so reducing congestion. This would allow public transport to be more efficient, like buses can arrive on time more, and this would make it easier for passengers to switch modes more easily?
Reply 34
Original post by Tom_L
Essays - could someone give me a hand?

atm the structure i use is:
for the 15 mark:
L1 - definitions
L2 - examples & explanation
L3 - Diagram and explain

for the 20 mark:
L1 - definitions
L2 - Examples [more brief than in the 15 mark]
L3 - diagram and explain
L4 - evaluation - 2 points for, 2 points against.

Is there anything i can add? and how do you guys do your essay questions? :smile:

Hey I'm confused with ur L4... I thought the "points for" were already explained in L3??? And also what about your judgement?
Reply 35
Original post by fiona23
Thanks. Would it also be right to think its because road pricing will reduce vehicles on roads and so reducing congestion. This would allow public transport to be more efficient, like buses can arrive on time more, and this would make it easier for passengers to switch modes more easily?

Yeah, that would certainly be a good point to add on the end :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by fiona23
Hey I'm confused with ur L4... I thought the "points for" were already explained in L3??? And also what about your judgement?

Yeah they kinda are, i just sort of explicitly say what they are, like i sum up both sides.
And yeah, i should probably have a judgement at the end :rolleyes:
I sometimes do, but with some questions i find it hard to do, how do you normally go about writing your judgement? :smile:
Original post by Tom_L
Yeah they kinda are, i just sort of explicitly say what they are, like i sum up both sides.
And yeah, i should probably have a judgement at the end :rolleyes:
I sometimes do, but with some questions i find it hard to do, how do you normally go about writing your judgement? :smile:

Apparently the best way to get your L4 marks, is to evaluate throughout :yy:
Is this a good definition of external economies of scale - when the growth of an entire industry leads to falling LRACs for all firms in that industry? And how could I link this to the rail industry?
Reply 39
Is this a good definition of external economies of scale - when the growth of an entire industry leads to falling LRACs for all firms in that industry? And how could I link this to the rail industry?

Yes I would say something similar.

Not sure as to how to link it to the rail industry though.

Quick Reply

Latest