The Student Room Group

Best and worst things about being asian

So what do you think?

What are the best and worst things about being asian?
For me, as a Pakistani, the best thing has to be the 'togetherness' of family, which you dont normally find in other cultures.
The worst is the way parents expect you to be perfect but you'll never actually reach this expectation because they dont actually know what perfect is (there isnt such thing because someone will always be better than you...LIKE THE AUNTIES DAUGHTER.) -_-

Scroll to see replies

best - i'll get back to you on that :P

worst - if you achieve anything lower than an A you get disowned, your mum finds that paracetomol is the cure to every living disease that exists.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Curry everyday.

:colone:

A grade, or nothing.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by maleeha207
So what do you think?

What are the best and worst things about being asian?
For me, as a Pakistani, the best thing has to be the 'togetherness' of family, which you dont normally find in other cultures.
The worst is the way parents expect you to be perfect but you'll never actually reach this expectation because they dont actually know what perfect is (there isnt such thing because someone will always be better than you...LIKE THE AUNTIES DAUGHTER.) -_-

LOL I agree with the 'worst' piece :P
As an Indian:
Best: the family/togetherness thing aswell, and in a way the high expectations-and feeling like, if they think you can be an amazing straight-A* student, then maybe (just maybe) you can :smile: Too bad you spend your whole life trying to prove it though!
Worst: comparing you to other people who are better than you. Then when you compare yourself to some of the 'goray' that aren't great, they say it's a difference of culture!!
At least you can become a taxi driver :P
Reply 5
worst thing about Asian parents is the protectiveness and that my dad wraps the remote with cling film-_-

best thing....is the food :biggrin:
middle eastern here....

the best: the togetherness of family and how we look out for each other (and the food :colone:)

the worst: the constant comparasons with other people, the expectation of straight A*....and worst of all....(although thankfully not something I've endured) the insistence that you must become a doctor or you are dead to them
Best: the food :sexface:

Worst as below :sadnod:

Original post by maleeha207

Reply 8
when you say something like 'oooh a levels are so hard!' then one (or even both if your that unlucky) starts with 'vhen i vas in india/some other asian dominated country, we had to run 8 miles to school' or some other ridiculously exagerrated lie ._.
Reply 9
Parents switching to another TV channel when a advert comes on which involves any sort of kissing, body parts or language. Can never watch TV with Asian parents!
Original post by ThumbsUp
when you say something like 'oooh a levels are so hard!' then one (or even both if your that unlucky) starts with 'vhen i vas in india/some other asian dominated country, we had to run 8 miles to school' or some other ridiculously exagerrated lie ._.

Actually laughed out loud at this :P:colondollar:
Reply 11
bests:
-family values are respected/recognised
-culture and food
-clothess
-having good contacts lol if you know what I mean

worst things:
-being compared to anyone and everyone
-fake ass cousins!!!!!!!!!!!!
-when you get 99% percent you get asked about the 1% and where it went
-being called from upstairs just to hand them something which is 1 metre away -_-

or when asian parents try to haggle/bargain down every item in southall :P even if its by £1, its a huge success in their eyes
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't take this too seriously, it's meant to be a laugh...although I'm pretty sure I've been asked a lot of these questions :biggrin:
Enjoy :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
As an Indian the best probably has got to be the food. And Family spirit. But food wins...hands down XD

The worst for me is the way your parents and family and everyone else expect you to always share the same views as you - no matter how biased or ridiculous their views and opinions are, because they said it means you automatically have to agree. And if you dare disagree they get hold a grudge and always bring it back up in the years to come. Sigh
Reply 14
Original post by 079
bests:
-family values are respected/recognised
-culture and food
-clothess
-entertainment ie bollywood :biggrin:
-having good contacts lol if you know what I mean

worst things:
-being compared to anyone and everyone
-having to maintain the family's reputation (being careful of what you do incase some aunty snakes you)
-having to follow strict rules (eg not being allowed to go out with friends, without a proper reason)
-fake ass cousins!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get this though. I just came back from Chicago a few weeks ago (went to visit famo). I know all the **** those cousins do, its like right in front of my face. Different situation from what ur saying though, because we actually spoke about that stuff...but now the continious "oh i WISH you were like them" and im like "you dont even know what theyre like -_-" ...yet u cant really say anything or its the whole family drama.
Reply 15
small penis.
Best - food, family values and saris

Worst - elastic bands grandma puts on lunchboxes that won't close (or ice cream dubaahs)

and the 10 hour goodbyes
Original post by sunnybacon
Don't take this too seriously, it's meant to be a laugh...although I'm pretty sure I've been asked a lot of these questions :biggrin:
Enjoy :tongue:

Mega-LOL! +rep!:tongue:
They all look the same O.o

Could go either way..
Original post by Sol1dShot
small penis.

:giggle:

Latest

Trending

Trending