The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 2 - 24th January 2012 Unofficial Markscheme

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 2 Unofficial Markscheme

a. As you decrease the temperature the time taken to get the frostbite decreases (or you get frostbite more quickly). (1)
b. 9 or 10 minutes. (1) This was confusing, because it could be anywhere between 9 and 10. People are saying it is 5?
c. Shivering and constriction. (2)

a. Control variables: mass of crushed apple / amount of drops of liquid. (1) There are more possibilities.
b. The drops can be different sizes. (1)
c. Amylase does not break down the cell wall like water. Pectinase enzyme digests the cell wall. Energy in boiling water causes the cell wall to break apart. (3) Improvement?
d.
i. 11.6 cm^3 (1) Not sure...
ii. Pectinase enzyme is denatured at high temperatures, but boiling the apple still has the same effect. (2) Improvement?

a. Drug B - Kills pancreatic cells which means even less insulin is produced than before (which is why it only has negative effect on some diabetics). (2) Improvement?
b. Careful attention to diet and pancreatic cell transplants (2) There are more possibilities.
c. The insulin enzymes are destroyed by the digestive system or the insulin in the tablet would not reach the blood (1) Improvement?

a. Cloudy means less light so less photosynthesis so less CO2 used. (2) Improvement?
b. Magnesium. (1)

a. (45/25,000)*100=0.18% (2)
b. Heat. (1)
c. Shorter food chains more efficient as there are less energy losses. Heron only gets 2 out of the 25,000kJ of energy absorbed. (2) Improvement?
d. Microorganisms consume the dead animals and plants causing decay. They then used the biomass for respiration which released carbon dioxide into the atmosphere - replacing CO2. CO2 then used in photosynthesis to be returned to the food chain. (3) Improvement?

a. Water moves through the partially permeable membrane by osmosis from the dilute solution to the more concentrated sugar solution causing the solution level to rise. (3) Improvement?
b. Would still increase, but at a slower rate the solution is less concentrated so smaller concentration gradient. (1) Improvement?

a.
i. Gene. (1)
ii. Ribosomes. (1)
b. A combination of three bases codes for different amino acids. Amino acids then join together to create the protein which codes for blue eyes. (3) Improvement?
c.
i. Different amino acids in structure. (1) Not sure...
ii. Different coloured eyes. (1) Not sure...

8. (5)
Adult bone marrow - Advantages
Does not kill embryos (1)
It is a simple operation (1)
Can still cure heart and blood diseases (1)

Adult bone marrow - Disadvantages

Embryonic stem cells - Advantages
Is not painful to patient (1)
Can develop into any type of cell so can cure more diseases (1)

Embryonic stem cells - Disadvantages

Conclusion (1)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
7. Stem Cell Evaluation
Reply 2
I dont remember particular questions, but I know I put;

A "B" when you had to choose between A,B or C.

11.6cm (out of the four options).

0.18% (for the energy passed on).

10 minutes for 1b.
Reply 3
Original post by USB
I dont remember particular questions, but I know I put;

A "B" when you had to choose between A,B or C.

11.6cm (out of the four options).

0.18% (for the energy passed on).

10 minutes for 1b.

Thanks, could someone please tell me the question number to these answers.
Reply 4
You know the question where you put B... What was it actually about? Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Henchy
You know the question where you put B... What was it actually about? Thanks :smile:

I think he was talking about the insulin one. Where you had to select a drug.
Reply 6
Original post by Math12345
I think he was talking about the insulin one. Where you had to select a drug.

yeah , i thought it was A because when sugar levels in the blood increase weight loss happens which is what the description for drug A was
Hardest paper I've done for biology by a MILE.

1b was confusing. On the table it said the time taken to get frost bite - which was 10 mins so those specific conditions, however the question was asking What is the maximum time you can stay out in order to stay safe? So i guess it would be 1 min less - 9 mins. At 10mins you get frostbite? I was contemplating whether to put 9 or 10 so i just done 10. I blame aqa for confusing students. Pathetic question.

The one where you had to circle B. For the explanation, I put the pancreas is damaged therefore enough insulin wont be made which means the b-s levels will be high constantly. There was another option where it said something like the liver is damaged. I think if you circled that one you could say that the liver wont be able to do whatever it does in order to keep the b-s levels normal. Something to do with glycogen or idk.

The DNA question f-cked me over. The first DNA question, Gene, then Ribosomes, then a three marker - I put: DNA has a code which tells amino acids in which order to line up to make a certain protein in this case blue eyes. The question after that - I had no clue about. I just put there will be different pairs. The question after that asked for the consequence - I said it will be a different eye colour.

The osmosis question was lovely. Easy marks.
The one you had to circle something, I circled 11.6. Followed by 'It will have the same effect as boiled water because the enzyme -whatever it was called- gets denatured and won't work when boiled therefore the same volume of juice will be produced.' Something along those lines ..
For the independent variable - I put mass of crushed apple.
How to cure insulin one .. I put pancreas transplant and small regular meals.
Reply 8
1a) As temperature decreases frostbite occurs quicker (1 mark)
b) 10 minutes (maybe 9??) (1 mark)
1 c) Circle the two actions when body temperature falls. (Shivering and vasoconstriction). (2 marks) ( /5marks)

2a) Control variables- mass of crushed apple/ amount of drops of liquid (1 mark)
b) Drops can be different sizes (volumes) (1 mark)
c) Amylase does not break down cell wall like water (1)
Pectinase enzyme digests cell wall (pectin in the cell wall according to wiki) (1)
Energy in boiling water causes the cell wall to break apart (1) (3 marks)
d) 11.6 cm^3 (1 mark)
ii) Pectinase enzyme is denatured at high temperatures (1) but boiling the apple still has the same effect (1). (2 marks) ( /8 marks)

3a) Drug B- kills pancreatic cells which means even less insulin is produced than before (which is why it only has negative effect on some diabetics) (2 marks)
b) Careful attention to diet (1)
Pancreatic cell transplants (1) (2 marks) ( /4marks)

4a) Cloudy means less light so less photosynthesis (1) so less CO2 used (1) (2 marks)
b) Magnesium (1 mark) ( /3 marks)

5a) 0.18% (2 marks)
b) Heat (1 mark)
c) Shorter food chains more efficient as there are less energy losses (1). Heron only gets 2 out of the 25,000kJ of energy absorbed (1). (2 marks)
d) Microorganisms consume the dead animals and plants (1) causing decay. They then used the biomass for respiration (1) which released carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (1)- replacing CO2. CO2 then used in photosynthesis (1) to be returned to the food chain. (3 marks only) ( / 8marks)

6a) Water moves through the semi-permeable membrane by osmosis (1) (from the dilute solution to the more concentrated sugar solution(1)) causing the solution level to rise (1). (3 marks)
b) Would still increase (1) but at a slower rate the solution is less concentrated so smaller concentration gradient (1). (2 marks) ( / 5marks)

7a) Gene (1 mark)
ii) Ribosomes (1 mark)
b) A combination of three bases (1) codes for different amino acids (1). Amino acids then join together to create the protein which codes for blue eyes (1) (3 marks)
c) Different amino acids in structure (1 mark)
ii) Different coloured eyes (1 mark) ( /7 marks)

8) Bone marrow (advantages) (5 marks)
Can still cure heart and blood diseases (1) and futire possibilities (1)
Embryonic stem cells (advantages):
Conclusion (1) ( /5 marks)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by metaltron
1 c) Circle the two actions when body temperature falls. (Shivering and vasoconstriction).
2a) Control variables- mass of crushed apple/ amount of drops of liquid
b) Drops can be different sizes (volumes)
Pectinase enzyme digests cell wall (pectin in the cell wall according to wiki) (1)
Energy in boiling water causes the cell wall to break apart (1)
d) 11.6 cm^3
ii) Pectinase enzyme is denatured at high temperatures but boiling the apple still has the same effect.
3a) Drug B- kills pancreatic cells which means even less insulin is produced than before (which is why it only has negative effect on some diabetics)
b) Careful attention to diet
Pancreatic cell transplants
4a) Cloudy means less light so less photosynthesis so less CO2 used
b) Magnesium
5a) 0.18%
b) Heat
c) Shorter food chains more efficient as there are less energy losses. Heron only gets 2 out of the 25,000kJ of energy absorbed.
d) Microorganisms consume the dead animals and plants (1) causing decay. They then used the biomass for respiration (1) which released carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (1)- replacing CO2. CO2 then used in photosynthesis (1) to be returned to the food chain.
6a) Water moves through the semi-permeable membrane by osmosis (1) (from the dilute solution to the more concentrated sugar solution(1)) causing the solution level to rise (1).
b) Would still increase (1) but at a slower rate the solution is less concentrated so smaller concentration gradient (1).
7a) Gene
ii) Ribosomes
b) A combination of three bases (1) codes for different amino acids (1). Amino acids then join together to create the protein which codes for blue eyes (1)
c) Different amino acids in structure
ii) Different coloured eyes
8) Bone marrow (advantages)
Conclusion (1)

Good memory, thanks a lot.
Reply 10
1 c) Circle the two actions when body temperature falls. (Shivering and vasoconstriction). (2 marks) ( /5marks)

2a) Control variables- mass of crushed apple/ amount of drops of liquid (1 mark)
d) 11.6 cm^3 (1 mark)
ii) Pectinase enzyme is denatured at high temperatures (1) but boiling the apple still has the same effect (1). (2 marks) ( /8 marks)

3a) Drug B- kills pancreatic cells which means even less insulin is produced than before (which is why it only has negative effect on some diabetics) (2 marks)

4a) Cloudy means less light so less photosynthesis (1) so less CO2 used (1) (2 marks)

5a) 0.18% (2 marks)
b) Heat (1 mark)
c) Shorter food chains more efficient as there are less energy losses (1). Heron only gets 2 out of the 25,000kJ of energy absorbed (1). (2 marks)
d) Microorganisms consume the dead animals and plants (1) causing decay. They then used the biomass for respiration (1) which released carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (1)- replacing CO2. CO2 then used in photosynthesis (1) to be returned to the food chain. (3 marks only) ( / 9marks)

6a) Water moves through the semi-permeable membrane by osmosis (1) (from the dilute solution to the more concentrated sugar solution(1)) causing the solution level to rise (1). (3 marks)
b) Would still increase (1) but at a slower rate the solution is less concentrated so smaller concentration gradient (1). (2 marks) ( / 5marks)

7a) Gene (1 mark)
ii) Ribosomes (1 mark)
b) A combination of three bases (1) codes for different amino acids (1). Amino acids then join together to create the protein which codes for blue eyes (1) (3 marks)

How sure are you about the answer highlighted in bold? that's what i put, but i'm not too sure
Original post by amirlad
How sure are you about the answer highlighted in bold? that's what i put, but i'm not too sure

It sound weird but I can't think of what else it could be- none of my friends have out anything else!
Reply 12
It sound weird but I can't think of what else it could be- none of my friends have out anything else!

Hmm it's ambiguous, we went through the paper with our biology teacher afterwards, and my answers are similar to yours, and most of what you said he put too, so you're fine. the 100 ums boundary will be very low, thank god
Reply 13
if that is correct then i got 22 marks (depending on how generous the examiner feels), i got 78 the first time i did this so i dont think i will improve this time :frown:
Reply 14

d) 11.6 cm^3 (1 mark)

5a) 0.18% (2 marks)
b) Heat (1 mark)
d) Microorganisms consume the dead animals and plants (1) causing decay. They then used the biomass for respiration (1) which released carbon dioxide into the atmosphere (1)- replacing CO2. CO2 then used in photosynthesis (1) to be returned to the food chain. (3 marks only) ( / 8marks)

7a) Gene (1 mark)
ii) Ribosomes (1 mark)

I agree with your answers, but 7b you need to refer back to the diagram to get full marks, so you need to include some sort of reference to it.
Reply 15
for the diabetes/ insulin q

i put A

becuase the side effect for A was weight loss, and the q was asking about low blood sugar

i thought that because the side effect for insulin (which is for high blood sugar) was weight gain and low blood sugar is the opposite.

I put that the fat store of gycogen was converted back to glucose which results in weight loss

can someone tell me if i just wrote rubbish or if what i wrote was right ?? x

also for the one describing the enzyme table i like described it saying that the one with boiling crushed apple was the highest etc... was that wrong ?? x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
For 4A i put that as the carbon dioxide level was higher than day 2, this was because that it was cloudy so the plants respire more and produced carbon dioxide
Reply 17
Original post by Wintabix
For 4A i put that as the carbon dioxide level was higher than day 2, this was because that it was cloudy so the plants respire more and produced carbon dioxide

Plants take in Carbon dioxide don't they?
Original post by outsider95
I agree with your answers, but 7b you need to refer back to the diagram to get full marks, so you need to include some sort of reference to it.

Oh yeah- forgot about that! Something like WZX made amino acid J but can't remember!
Reply 19
Original post by Math12345
Plants take in Carbon dioxide don't they?

Yeah but plant can respire as well when they are not photosynthesising

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending