The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 4 AQA

Scroll to see replies

Could anyone explain how base hydrolysis of esters works? The NT book is really confusing.
Reply 481
For geometrical isomers, should there always be two of the same groups attached to one of the carbons
Reply 482
Original post by Chuck1993
Could anyone explain how base hydrolysis of esters works? The NT book is really confusing.

With H20 and an Acid Catalyst such as HCl Esters break down into constituent Alcohols and Carboxylic acids

With H20 and Basic catalyst - such as NaOH - Esters break down to form an alcohol and a sodium salt - e.g. CH3CH2COONa - These sodium salts can be used as soaps

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by bwfcboy93
With H20 and an Acid Catalyst such as HCl Esters break down into constituent Alcohols and Carboxylic acids

With H20 and Basic catalyst - such as NaOH - Esters break down to form an alcohol and a sodium salt - e.g. CH3CH2COONa - These sodium salts can be used as soaps

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you!
Having a mental block and can't do this question:

Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 10.0cm3 of 0.154mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid are added to 990cm3 of water.

Apparently the answer is pH=2.81. How do you get that? In question above, i got pH of hydrochloric acid is 0.81 if that's relevant.

Probably a really simple question but I can't get my head around it :/
can ketones form hydrogen bonds between molecules? or not? :s
Reply 486
Original post by Chuck1993

when you hydrolyse ester you are breaking ester bond or ester linkage using NaoH to form carboxylic acid and alcohol
Reply 487
Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
Having a mental block and can't do this question:

Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 10.0cm3 of 0.154mol dm-3 hydrochloric acid are added to 990cm3 of water.

Apparently the answer is pH=2.81. How do you get that? In question above, i got pH of hydrochloric acid is 0.81 if that's relevant.

Probably a really simple question but I can't get my head around it :/

M1 x V1 = M2 x V2

0.154 x 10 = M2 x (total volume which is 990cm3 + 10 cm3 = 1000cm3)

then you do (0.154 x 10)/1000

Which gives M2 to be 1.54 x10-3 so [H+] = 1.54 x10-3

then you just -log it to find ph
Reply 488
I feel so nervous about this exam. Do we have to know 2 step titration curves, for instance the reaction between Na2CO3 and H2SO4, it's on the old spec but I don't think we do? Thanks
Reply 489
Original post by sarah-madeline

yes they can coz they got c=o where oxygen from carbonyl forms hydrogen bond with hydrogen from water see page 67 nelson thornes book top right
Original post by Besakt
M1 x V1 = M2 x V2

0.154 x 10 = M2 x (total volume which is 990cm3 + 10 cm3 = 1000cm3)

then you do (0.154 x 10)/1000

Which gives M2 to be 1.54 x10-3 so [H+] = 1.54 x10-3

then you just -log it to find ph

Cheers! Out of rep, sorry :frown: I feel like I've been quoted my TSR Royalty :tongue: Thanks again
Reply 491

erm i think my textbook says dipole-dipole (ie permanant delta - charges on the O, and delta + charges on the C) and that this expains why they have a lower boiling/melting point to alcohols of a similar Mr, because alcohols do have hydrogen bonding. i think the O (or similarly electronegative atom) would have to be directly bonded to the H, for hydrogen bonding :smile:

edit: please feel free to rectify me if i'm wrong - i'm no chemistry wizz!
Reply 492

They can form hydrogen bonds with water, but not between alike molecules. It's more likely to have dipole-dipole interactions.
Reply 493
I'm probably being really dumb but 4ai on June 2011 paper...isn't propanedioic acid HOOCCH2COOH?
Reply 494
Original post by Alpha5
I feel so nervous about this exam. Do we have to know 2 step titration curves, for instance the reaction between Na2CO3 and H2SO4, it's on the old spec but I don't think we do? Thanks

i'll say learn the calculation bit who knows they might bring that as they did in one of 2004 paper i think and learn half neutralisation as well where ph=pKa
Reply 495
Original post by JesusIsMyHomeboy
Cheers! Out of rep, sorry :frown: I feel like I've been quoted my TSR Royalty :tongue: Thanks again

:crown:
Reply 496
Original post by eesha_25
I'm probably being really dumb but 4ai on June 2011 paper...isn't propanedioic acid HOOCCH2COOH?

that is 1,2 -propanedioc acid from what you have written
Reply 497
how are you revising this paper am going through all the past papers from jan 02 - june 11 hopefully i finish by tomorrow
Reply 498
Original post by al_habib
that is 1,2 -propanedioc acid from what you have written

Yep but how would we write it...is that right? Or is it CH2(COOH)2?
Reply 499
Original post by eesha_25

Yes that is propanedioic acid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending