The Student Room Group

AQA chemistry Unit 2 Thursday 26th January

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krisshP
For the metals question I was just annoyed that they said to describe the structure of metals. It was too brief so I just talked about the stron electrostatic metallic bonds between the electrons and positive ions.
It would have been much better if they said and were more specific:
"Explain why metals have a high boiling and melting point"

By the way, can someone upload the mark scheme please?

Metal x forms a giant metallic structure (1 mark)
There are strong forces of attraction between the positive ions and the de-localised electrons (1 mark)

This requires a lot of energy to break the bonds, thus the boiling point is high (1 mark)

I didn't sit the paper, but i would imagine it was 3 marks?
Reply 161
Original post by krisshP
Remember the question that just asked the type of bonding in something. A joke really

Who cares, it was easy :biggrin:
Original post by PoorLoser
Who cares, it was easy :biggrin:

What was the hardest question take came up in your opinion? tough guy :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
tough guy? lol...

erm not a hard question, just a stupid mistake: Empirical formula

I forgot to times by 2 at the end.

Nothing particularly difficult though. I expect high boundaries due to everyone finding it so easy, though.
tough guy? lol...

erm not a hard question, just a stupid mistake: Empirical formula

I forgot to times by 2 at the end.

Nothing particularly difficult though. I expect high boundaries due to everyone finding it so easy, though.

Alright son, wish you luck!
Reply 165
Original post by JamesNeedHelp2
Alright son, wish you luck!

Reply 166
Paper wasn't too bad - although i Think i've made stupid mistakes :frown: - I expect the grade boundaries to be really high :/ Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 167
I thought it was pretty easy too, for the empirical formula i got it the right answer but put it the wrong way so 03fe2
Would that give me the final mark still?

Although I found it easy a lot of people struggled so hopefully around 33-35 for an A*?

Also for the question "How do you seperate magnesium from magnesium oxide, I put filteration. Is that correct? (It would normally be filteration, evaporation or crystallisation)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 168
I put "Filtration or evaporation (Crystallisation)" for that..

They'll probably take off a mark for saying both lol :P

although in previous mark schemes they say "Ignore" instead of "Negate a mark"

So, hopefully, I'll get a mark :biggrin:
Reply 169
Original post by Welbeck
I thought it was pretty easy too, for the empirical formula i got it the right answer but put it the wrong way so 03fe2

Although I found it easy a lot of people struggled so hopefully around 33-35 for an A*?

Also for the question "How do you seperate magnesium from magnesium oxide, I put filteration. Is that correct? (It would normally be filteration, evaporation or crystallisation)

I think it was evaporation or crystalisation as it was in a solution, i hope :confused:

And now everyone on here is saying they found the test easy, i'm getting scared cos i found the test quite a bit harder than the previous past papers :frown:
Reply 170
Hoping someone would make a unofficial mark scheme because we don't get the results till march :L
Reply 171
Original post by Welbeck

I put evaporation because magnesium was the only solid in the solution so evaporating it would leave it behind?
Original post by ZedZFury
I think it was evaporation or crystalisation as it was in a solution, i hope :confused:

And now everyone on here is saying they found the test easy, i'm getting scared cos i found the test quite a bit harder than the previous past papers :frown:

it was filtration, the equation for the reaction said it was a solid, and not in solution
Reply 173
Also about the grade boundary, lets be honest, people who go on this "student room" are clever and think it was easy so think the grade boundaries will be high! But there is a lot of people that would have struggled on this exam, some of the A* students in my school didn't do too well!
Original post by UFO
I put evaporation because magnesium was the only solid in the solution so evaporating it would leave it behind?

it wasnt in solution, if it was, next to the magnesium in the equation it wouldve said (aq)
Reply 175
What did everyone get for the experimental errors question?

Lucky I revised that yesterday it's somewhere on this thread too :biggrin:

i got:

some gas may have been released
measuring errors
Lid was opened continuously but the time the lid was opened for and the interval between each time the lid was opened wasn't carefully controlled

i wrote some other random stuff too lol

any marks? :biggrin:

oh and the acid question i wrote hydrochloric acid

gotta love the metal question!

oh yeh and the half equation question.. i just added 2e- is added (+2e-)
Reply 176
What did everyone get for the experimental errors question?

Lucky I revised that yesterday it's somewhere on this thread too :biggrin:

i got:

some gas may have been released
measuring errors
Lid was opened continuously but the time the lid was opened for and the interval between each time the lid was opened wasn't carefully controlled

i wrote some other random stuff too lol

any marks? :biggrin:

oh and the acid question i wrote hydrochloric acid

gotta love the metal question!

oh yeh and the half equation question.. i just added 2e- is added (+2e-)

I wrote that and as the second error i wrote it could have been a weighing error but not sure if i would get a mark?
Reply 178
Original post by outsider95
it wasnt in solution, if it was, next to the magnesium in the equation it wouldve said (aq)

Oh yeah.. meant that haha :tongue:

Did anyone else think the first question was really difficultly worded for a first question? It kinda shocked me to start because I thought the rest of the paper was going to be as hard but I thought the paper was quite easy to work through.
Original post by UFO
Oh yeah.. meant that haha :tongue:

Did anyone else think the first question was really difficultly worded for a first question? It kinda shocked me to start because I thought the rest of the paper was going to be as hard but I thought the paper was quite easy to work through.

yeah i agree, i sort of left the first question and came back to it after

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending