The Student Room Group

Why do people get annoyed at Scottish Uni Fees?

Scroll to see replies

nobody cares they are free. We care they are free to the entire EU except RUK students which is totally unfair discrimination.

I think it is a good thing that the Scots chose to give their students free uni. But to charge another UK naitonal 9000% more is ridiculous. Fair enough RUK applications would increase. But all they have to do is put a cap on the number of RUK students allowed to study there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Andy16
Why so many negs on Mr Z's comment? Its the ridiculous truth. Disgusting how a scottish student can study for free due to ENGLISH money, yet ENGLISH people have to pay £9000 a year to study in ENGLAND. Scotland is all cocky about how they don't want to be associated with us either. To be honest let them break away from us right this instant, they are nothing but a burden

Not all of Scotland believes it is good that we have free education, or that they don't want to be associated with England :rolleyes:

Wait till you see the results of the referendum, doubt Scotland will decide it wants independence.
Reply 42
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Scotland is in Britain? I see why you would be annoyed, but it isn't actually the people of Scotland's fault. Why don't you campaign and try and get free higher education in England?

I know where Scotland is, thanks. I haven't once blamed the Scottish people.. save the ones who put set up the Scottish parliament.
Original post by Mr. Z
True, but the Scottish get the free tuition..

Because we choose to spend our proportion of our money on free education. Why don't you not vote in a Tory sorry "Coalition" government in future and instead support a party that wants to provide free higher education?
Reply 44
There is a reason why the Tories are not liked in Scotland.
Original post by Mr. Z
I know where Scotland is, thanks. I haven't once blamed the Scottish people.. save the ones who put set up the Scottish parliament.

Good. It didn't seem like it. You should make that clear then, thanks for clearing that up. :smile:
Original post by bestofyou
nobody cares the are free. We care the are free to the entire EU except RUK students which is totally unfair discrimination.

Read previous posts- not our fault.
Reply 47
Scotland is in Britain? I see why you would be annoyed, but it isn't actually the people of Scotland's fault. Why don't you campaign and try and get free higher education in England?

Have you not been paying attention to the news for the past couple of months? Students couldn't get the government to keep the tuition fees at £3k and you think they have a chance of getting it down to free higher education?
Reply 48
Original post by scotland369
Because we choose to spend our proportion of our money on free education. Why don't you not vote in a Tory sorry "Coalition" government in future and instead support a party that wants to provide free higher education?

I don't think HE should be free! I am not personally responsible for the coalition....
Original post by Besakt
Have you not been paying attention to the news for the past couple of months? Students couldn't get the government to keep the tuition fees at £3k and you think they have a chance of getting it down to free higher education?

No, I think you should stop whining about Scotland, and put your energy into changing your current system. :smile:
Like the West Lothian question it is one of those things that highlights the unfairness of devolution for the English. Whatever the SNP claims about 'Scotland's oil' Scotland has and continues to be a net beneficiary of public spending, and even if free university for Scottish students in Scotland is a result of how Scots chose to allocate the money they get through the Barnett Formula, the inequity of Scots and EU students going free while English students have to pay for university in Scotland is obvious. The system ensures that fewer English students, apart from the posh and or wealthy set that favours Edinburgh and St Andrews will study in Scotland and that fewer Scots will chose to study in England, thus pushing the countries further apart.
Reply 51
Good. It didn't seem like it. You should make that clear then, thanks for clearing that up. :smile:

Where did I indicate that I didn't know where Scotland was?
Reply 52
No, I think you should stop whining about Scotland, and put your energy into changing your current system. :smile:

Again, have you not been watching the news recently did you not seem the protests that took place a couple of months ago? What did it achieve? Oh year nothing.
Original post by Antimonopoly
Like the West Lothian question it is one of those things that highlights the unfairness of devolution for the English. Whatever the SNP claims about 'Scotland's oil' Scotland has and continues to be a net beneficiary of public spending, and even if free university for Scottish students in Scotland is a result of how Scots chose to allocate the money they get through the Barnett Formula, the inequity of Scots and EU students going free while English students have to pay for university in Scotland is obvious. The system ensures that fewer English students, apart from the posh and or wealthy set that favours Edinburgh and St Andrews will study in Scotland and that fewer Scots will chose to study in England, thus pushing the countries further apart.

All true. Sad but true.
Original post by Mr. Z
Where did I indicate that I didn't know where Scotland was?

From the fact you kept going on about British taxes, for some reason you appear to think that Scotland doesn't pay British taxes. :smile:
Reply 55
From the fact you kept going on about British taxes, for some reason you appear to think that Scotland doesn't pay British taxes. :smile:

How does that even imply in the slightest that he doesn't know where Scotland is?
Reply 56

Read what I've said again, and find the bit where I said Scottish people don't pay British taxes..

Wish people would learn to read carefully before using the internet....
Who cares anyway, Scotland only has a handful of unis, which I'd have even contemplated applying to.
same thing about how they have free prescriptions... it's not their fault that they choose to use their allocated money in a different way than our governemnt.
Original post by Besakt
Again, have you not been watching the news recently did you not seem the protests that took place a couple of months ago? What did it achieve? Oh year nothing.

Yes? Doesn't mean that you should continue to whine about Scotland. I know it is unfair, but sitting about whining won't solve your problems. Think of another tactic then to try and get free education in England? Campaign for a devolved parliament perhaps?

What you really should be complaining about, is that you haven't got your own devolved parliament to make these decisions for you, in your best interest.

I disagree with the fact that you don't get free education, I think the SNP are silly the way they are spending money, giving out free stuff left, right and centre, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Quick Reply

Latest