The Student Room Group

Pharmacy applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jin3011
I was so nervous at the Notts interview; stuttering all over the place like a broken windscreen wiper and I found that I repeated similar points too often. He was a nice interviewer but looked bored after a bit lol :tongue: So an imminent rejection.
The interview was kind of informal, It was conducted in an IT suite where there's many other applicants being interviewed at the same time. Your questions also differ based on what interviewer you get and what there interest and specialities are.

I was asked a few more open-ended questions, but in the interview the questions I could remember are:
How did you find the uni so far?
What skills are important as a pharmacist?
There are many different areas of pharmacy like hospital etc, how would the skills of a hospital pharmacist differ from a pharmacist in a community?
What did you learn from your work exp?
What did you think of the diabetes app page that was sent to you: Any negatives about the app?
Since we're discussing diabetes, what do you know about diabetes? How would you manage the two different types?
You've mentioned that insulin is important in the regulation of diabetes, why do you think it's taken through the blood and not as a pill?
Are there any other ways of administering insulin?
Apart from injections and pills what other forms of drug delivery are there?
(forgot to mention inhalers, so he gave a hint) Asthmatics commonly use inhalers to alleviate symptoms, why do you think this is?
Are there any differences in doses between an inhaler and a pill? Why so? Why do you think a pill has a different dose?
That concludes our interview, are there any questions you'd like to ask? (spent 5 mins just randomly discussing things with him and interviewing him on why her chose to go down the research pathway:tongue:)

Some other people I was speaking to got asked:
Why pharmacy? and why not medicine/dentistry? (Majority of people here today were ex medic and dental applicants on their gap year)
Draw penicillin:s-smilie: (must've been in her p.s)
Division maths question
Substitution reaction
When would a drug be taken as a pill rather that intravenously?
Tell me what you know about aspirin
Draw an amino acid. Draw how two amino acids join.
Tell me what you know about proteins i.e structure etc.

Good luck:biggrin:.

Hey :smile: When was your Notts interview? :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nmudz_009
Hey :smile: When was your Notts interview? :P

Hello:smile:
It was yesterday. When's you're interview?
Guys I was just wandering if you knew how many people apply to Nottingham on average per UCAS cycle, or how many people they give interviews to. They've got around 120(I think) places and just wanted to asses my chances.
Also how do they notify you if they've offered you a place; through email or letter?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jin3011
Hello:smile:
It was yesterday. When's you're interview?

oh Nice:smile: Any others invites?:colondollar: Oh and dont worry, You seem to have remembered a lot of questions- thats a good sign imo- it shows you were really focused on it when they asked you- so hopefully you came up with some excellent points:biggrin:

I ended up applying to Sunderland, Medway, Liverpool Jm, Huddersfield and Kingston. I've got an interview from JM in April and thats my only reply so far, tho I'm hopeful I'll get more replies soon :biggrin:

Do you reckon all unis ask you questions that you need chemistry knowledge to answer like ''what is a substitution'' or ''amino acid''.

How much of the interview questions that they asked you at notts do you think were in some way linked to what you wrote on your personal statement? Also, How long is the whole interview?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jin3011
Guys I was just wandering if you knew how many people apply to Nottingham on average per UCAS cycle, or how many people they give interviews to. They've got around 120(I think) places and just wanted to asses my chances.
Also how do they notify you if they've offered you a place; through email or letter?

I thought all unis update the status on Ucas track?
I thought all unis update the status on Ucas track?

Some uni's tend to send emails or letters before track is updated, whereas some direct your offer through UCAS first.
oh Nice:smile: Any others invites?:colondollar: Oh and dont worry, You seem to have remembered a lot of questions- thats a good sign imo- it shows you were really focused on it when they asked you- so hopefully you came up with some excellent points:biggrin:

I wish I had the same optimism, but it didn't really go down too well. Not sure what happened tbh. As for invites, I've got a Manchester interview in 2 weeks and a Bradford one next month. Already have offers from Aston and DMU but they're more of a last resort option if all else fails:tongue:

I ended up applying to Sunderland, Medway, Liverpool Jm, Huddersfield and Kingston. I've got an interview from JM in April and thats my only reply so far, tho I'm hopeful I'll get more replies soon :biggrin:

Wish you all the best dude, do all your uni's have interviews?

Do you reckon all unis ask you questions that you need chemistry knowledge to answer like ''what is a substitution'' or ''amino acid''.

I'd imagine they'd want you to demonstrate some enthusiasm in your scientific studies from A-Level - but I can't really comment on every uni since they all interview you differently and have different requirements. But as far as amino acids/proteins they would expect you to know and discuss them if asked. Even if you get asked a question which don't know the answer, simply say you don't know. I got asked a question on blood glucose concentration that I didn't know the answer to, and he was kind enough to educate me - I was more frustrated that my mum knew the answer to the question when I was discussing it with her after:colondollar:

How much of the interview questions that they asked you at notts do you think were in some way linked to what you wrote on your personal statement? Also, How long is the whole interview?

He had a copy of my statement and had already highlighted parts of my fairly philosophical introduction about healthcare; which I believe led him on to ask me about the skills and qualities of a pharmacist. Apart from that, my p.s didn't play a big role. But I did find that the questions you get asked depend on what areas of interest your interviewer was in. My interviewer was a researcher who had a high scientific aptitude, which meant that scientific questions formed the majority of our discussion. Other interviewers who were more involved in community/hospital were more interested in work exp etc.
On average, you can expect your interview to be anywhere between 10-25 minutes(sometimes longer) . I believe mine was about 20mins long, but you barely notice it since time flys so fast.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1967
just firmed my choice FOR UCL SCHOOL OF PHARMACY! scary! haha cardiff is my insurance and its the same grade requirements lol xx
Original post by danaxx94
just firmed my choice FOR UCL SCHOOL OF PHARMACY! scary! haha cardiff is my insurance and its the same grade requirements lol xx

Congrats. Now all you need to do it to work hard. Hopefully I will join you firming LSOP, but that's if I get an interview :tongue:
Is anyone here still waiting on Cardiff?
I applied in early November and still waiting :'(
It's killing me!!!!!
Original post by 000katie000
Is anyone here still waiting on Cardiff?
I applied in early November and still waiting :'(
It's killing me!!!!!

Yupp.. try mid October :/
Reply 1971
:biggrin: Anyone firmed Manchester yet?
Original post by qasidb
So far for me:
Brighton - invitation to open day and some aptitude test and 'group exercises'
Hertfordshire - interview
Kingston - offer (BBB/300 UCAS points) and invitation to open day
Medway - interview (have done it)
King's - interview

GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF YOU! :smile:

Hey- do kingston interview you for pharmacy? Completely forgot if they do or not :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1973
Original post by Freiheit
Congrats. Now all you need to do it to work hard. Hopefully I will join you firming LSOP, but that's if I get an interview :tongue:

aw thank u!! im sure u will and when u here of an interview let me know so i can tell u what they asked me and stuff lol! xxx
Reply 1974
Hey- do kingston interview you for pharmacy? Completely forgot if they do or not :facepalm:

No they don't
did anyone do interview with kings college what questions did they ask for 25 min?
Reply 1976
Offer from Medway - ABB
Reply 1977
Original post by jin3011
i was so nervous at the notts interview; stuttering all over the place like a broken windscreen wiper and i found that i repeated similar points too often. He was a nice interviewer but looked bored after a bit lol :tongue: so an imminent rejection.
The interview was kind of informal, it was conducted in an it suite where there's many other applicants being interviewed at the same time. Your questions also differ based on what interviewer you get and what there interest and specialities are.

I was asked a few more open-ended questions, but in the interview the questions i could remember are:
How did you find the uni so far?
What skills are important as a pharmacist?
There are many different areas of pharmacy like hospital etc, how would the skills of a hospital pharmacist differ from a pharmacist in a community?
What did you learn from your work exp?
What did you think of the diabetes app page that was sent to you: Any negatives about the app?
Since we're discussing diabetes, what do you know about diabetes? How would you manage the two different types?
You've mentioned that insulin is important in the regulation of diabetes, why do you think it's taken through the blood and not as a pill?
Are there any other ways of administering insulin?
Apart from injections and pills what other forms of drug delivery are there?
(forgot to mention inhalers, so he gave a hint) asthmatics commonly use inhalers to alleviate symptoms, why do you think this is?
Are there any differences in doses between an inhaler and a pill? Why so? Why do you think a pill has a different dose?
That concludes our interview, are there any questions you'd like to ask? (spent 5 mins just randomly discussing things with him and interviewing him on why her chose to go down the research pathway:tongue:)

some other people i was speaking to got asked:
why pharmacy? And why not medicine/dentistry? (majority of people here today were ex medic and dental applicants on their gap year)
draw penicillin:s (must've been in her p.s)
division maths question
substitution reaction
when would a drug be taken as a pill rather that intravenously?
Tell me what you know about aspirin
draw an amino acid. Draw how two amino acids join.
Tell me what you know about proteins i.e structure etc.

good luck:d.

some grilling ! Lol
Original post by rayore
some grilling ! Lol

Haha, I was just struggling with the general pharmacy question since I've not had much exp in a pharmacy environment. I had a good interviewer, though I would've preferred the standard 'why pharmacy? Tell me about yourself? & protein/amino acid/maths questions'. But the scientific part went fairly well I believe. Perhaps I'm focussing too much on how nervous I was and disregarding anything I would've answered well:tongue:. Oh well, just waiting on the UCAS Track update email:tongue:
Nottingham OFFFFAAH!
Surprised after that bad interview.
But I'm accepting it ASAP :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest