The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE PHYSICS UNIT 2 PHY2H January 2012 Unofficial mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lucymcgonigle
What was 'neutrons' the answer to? 2a ii?

what do both fission and fusion release
Reply 21
Original post by metaltron
look it up!

I have. Edit your first post so people don't get confused. :smile:

Original post by aimes12
so do you think we would get the mark for saying they both release energy?

I thought about that. I put radiation myself, and in brackets 'energy'.

The reason I wasn't sure about energy, is that when you use fusion to create nuclei that are heavier than Iron, you actually need to put energy into the system - so in that respect it isn't totally accurate to say fusion always releases energy.
Reply 22
Its true, fusion does not release neutrons. I think the answer is energy/radiation, if so what kind of radiation? :s-smilie: - ahh I'm pissed off, I put Alpha for some stupid reason D:

What was the question for 6)A)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone done p1 retake?
Reply 24
what was the question for 3ciii because i had forgotten
Reply 25
Original post by Nistar
Energy is released from both fusion and fission so don't worry if you're panicking because it says neutrons here. Neutrons might be a more upper-market answer or something but I never knew that fusion released neutrons.

I changed the mark scheme as well everybody to accept energy, please don't gang up on me because at the start of the mark scheme it was always going to be what i put cos i don't know whether i'm wrong or not!
Reply 26
Original post by WM1996
Its true, fusion does not release neutrons. I think the answer is energy/radiation, if so what kind of radiation? :s-smilie: - ahh I'm pissed off, I put Alpha for some stupid reason D:

What was the question for 6)A)?

it was to work out kinetic energy and you do
half x 0.16 x 35^2
Reply 27
i got around 34-36 if im being very pessimistic, is that an A?
Fission releases neutrons as the atoms splits.

Fusion is the combining of small atoms. Explain how that releases neutrons?
Reply 29
I changed the mark scheme as well everybody to accept energy, please don't gang up on me because at the start of the mark scheme it was always going to be what i put cos i don't know whether i'm wrong or not!

I think the time you put in to make it is commendable, and people are just worried because they don't want their answers to be wrong, that's all. :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by aimes12
it was to work out kinetic energy and you do
half x 0.16 x 35^2

Thanks, I got scared thinking I did not put that D:
Reply 31
Original post by PoorLoser
i got around 34-36 if im being very pessimistic, is that an A?

i would say easy A or A* depending on grade boundaries :smile:
Oh, i put energy too
Reply 33
Original post by StateSchooler95
Fission releases neutrons as the atoms splits.

Fusion is the combining of small atoms. Explain how that releases neutrons?

its hydrogen 2 plus hydrogen 3 so you have an extra neutron!! googled it :wink:
Reply 34
Original post by aimes12

34-36 Is usually above an A*, so don't worry about the grade. In terms of UMS - from past papers, it can range from 93-100 ums. I think I got around 33-34 :/ Let's just hope other school didn't do so well. I can't believe the kind of marks I gave away. :'(
Reply 35
Lol this is the problem with doing an astronomy gcse as well! I think energy is definitely the safer option and will definitely get you guys the mark. I also found out that some fusion reactions do not produce a neutron so it may be that I am wrong. Also thanks for telling me the answer was Uranium- 235 and I have changed that as well. Please tell me any other corrections (2 marks down atm!!!!)
Reply 36
How did you guys find the exam? wht abt the grade boundaries?
Reply 37
Will I get any marks for these? D:
1)a)ii - I put size of beads (instead of the suggested 'volume').
1)c)i) - Could you say spray ionised air over the beads as they come out of the pipe? I saw that somewhere in a past paper to neutralise the charge :/
3)a)ii) I put weather conditions, because its hard for the person to see when to break (lets say for example there is a rainstorm) as well as friction is reduced, thus increasing braking distance.

Thanks.
Original post by aimes12

No 34-36 is most probably A*. Physics is usually 32 and quite consistent. This paper had lots of maths, and a hard question about the gold sheet therefore anything above 34 consider it a* for now. :smile: Oh yeah and i put energy for fission and fusion thing.
1a) Friction between the pipe and the beads causes electrons to be transferred from the pipe to the beads (3)
ii) Volume of beads (1) Other correct variable as well
iii) As size increases, charge decreases (1)
b) All of the charges decrease as the pipe is shorter so there is less friction (2)
c) Fine particles- smaller particles have a higher charge due to surface area (1)
ii) Earth the pipes/ make pipes from antistatic material / shorten the pipes (1)
iii) Temperature, pressure and other variables might affect the MEI value/ results (1)
2a) Nuclear fusion is the joining together of small nuclei to form large nuclei whilst nuclear fission is the splitting up of large nuclei to form small nuclei. Nuclear fusion needs extreme temperatures to take place whilst fission doesn’t. (2)
ii) Neutrons/ energy (1)
b) i) Uranium -235 (1) or just Uranium
ii) Same number of protons (1)
3a) Constant speed, accelerating, decelerating (3)
b)The distance travelled whilst the car is breaking (1)
ii) Speed (1)
c) 5000N on the car (to the left in the diagram) (1)
ii) To measure the force exerted on the dummy (1)
iii) 4 m/s^2 (3)
4 a) 2V (2)
ii) Straight line from origin to (2,0.8) Curved line from (2,0.8) to (12,2) (2)
iii) The filament lamp becomes hotter, (voltage increases faster than the current????) (1)
b) 108 J (2)
5 a) Pudding was positive with an equal but opposite charge to the electrons (1)
b) Experiments didn’t support pudding model but supported nuclear model (1)
ii) Most of the atom is empty space so many particles travelled through without being deflected (1) Nucleus is small and has positive charge so deflects reasonably nearby alpha particles slightly (1) Nucleus has a large mass and strong positive charge so deflects nearby alpha particles by large angles (1)
c) Results provided evidence for Rutherford’s theories suggesting his theories are right (1)
6a) 98 J (2)
b) 9.6 kgm/s (2)
ii) 9600N (1)
iii) Increases time catching the ball, decreasing the rate of change of momentum, reducing the force on the fielder’s hand. (2)

Please positive rating :smile: thanks

2biii: would it be correct of you put the same atomic number?

3cii: What was the question, i out 4 too but what was the question?

4a: what was the question?

4b: what was the question?

Appreciated if anyone can remember! :smile:

Quick Reply