The Student Room Group

fluteflute's bumper thread of Oxford admissions statistics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by emmaaa88
Is there any decisive info on whether people who get second interviews are more or less likely to be accepted by either the first or the second college or the uni as a whole?

No worries if not, this is a very interesting thread, thank you! :smile:
There certainly aren't any available atm. I doubt the university actually keeps such figures. But my guess would be that such people are more likely to be accepted by the uni as a whole.
Reply 141
Is there any information on the number of students applying for individual courses and the number accepted by each of the respective colleges at Oxford? I can only find this info for Keble from a link found on TSR
Original post by fluteflute
There certainly aren't any available atm. I doubt the university actually keeps such figures. But my guess would be that such people are more likely to be accepted by the uni as a whole.

Don't know if you've seen this fluteflute, but you might find it interesting:

December 2011 admission stats by subject (in varying detail, mostly focussing on Keble):

http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/copy_of_admissions-feedback

They also have December 2010 which I don't think has been properly published yet either.
Reply 143
Don't know if you've seen this fluteflute, but you might find it interesting:

December 2011 admission stats by subject (in varying detail, mostly focussing on Keble):

http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/copy_of_admissions-feedback

They also have December 2010 which I don't think has been properly published yet either.
Thank you :smile: Turns out that UCAS today published statistics on the total number of applications. The fall this year is tiny, when you realise that applications have increased by 30% over the last five years!
2007: 13882
2008: 13633
2009: 15277
2010: 17144
2011: 18062
2012: 17945

EDIT: there's something curious going on with these numbers. I'm not sure what that's about. Don't pay too much attention to this post for the time being :tongue: Or at least, look at this page first.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by selit
Is there any information on the number of students applying for individual courses and the number accepted by each of the respective colleges at Oxford? I can only find this info for Keble from a link found on TSR
There's nothing publicly available I'm afraid.
Thank you :smile: Turns out that UCAS today published statistics on the total number of applications. The fall this year is tiny, when you realise that applications have increased by 30% over the last five years!

EDIT: there's something curious going on with these numbers. I'm not sure what that's about. Don't pay too much attention to this post for the time being :tongue: Or at least, look at this page first.

Just to say, the figures (including those above) say 18062, whereas your FOI says 18,602 :tongue: Still, an odd discrepancy. Maybe some courses are included in UCAS but not by Oxford e.g. masters courses? :dontknow: UCAS' table headings are very vague.

EDIT: note that whilst cambridge's figures are far closer to those on UCAS, they are also not identical. 100 students is obv easier to explain away than 700 though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 146
Original post by nexttime
Just to say, the figures (including those above) say 18062, whereas your FOI says 18,602 :tongue: Still, an odd discrepancy. Maybe some courses are included in UCAS but not by Oxford e.g. masters courses? :dontknow: UCAS' table headings are very vague.
Thank you!

You do realise how much hatred you are stirring up in the admissions office, right? I think maybe you should submit future FOIs under a pseudonym...
Reply 148
Original post by michael321
You do realise how much hatred you are stirring up in the admissions office, right? I think maybe you should submit future FOIs under a pseudonym...
Take a look at this one (not submitted by me). It's insane.

EDIT: note that whilst cambridge's figures are far closer to those on UCAS, they are also not identical. 100 students is obv easier to explain away than 700 though!

There are various odd bods. I think the likliest for for this situation is how Oxford treats advanced students:-graduates reading for undergraduate degrees. Most will be medics and lawyers, but traditionally any graduate could apply to read any FHS. They would apply through UCAS but does Oxford carry them as taught graduate students in its internal figures?

WOW, that is ridiculous.

Although the deadline is today, lets see if they make it :tongue:

Oxford just replied.... and basically said nothing! :tongue: Guessing they used loopholes in the wording? Clever!
Oxford just replied.... and basically said nothing! :tongue: Guessing they used loopholes in the wording? Clever!

They haven't really used loopholes. They have simply said that there aren't any non-standard applicants.

However this is simply untrue:-

1 Nowhere in the request does the applicant refer to undergraduate applications. Therefore all graduate applications should fall within Q1b, Q1e or Q1h

2 There are also part-time undergraduate diploma and certificate students who also apply directly.

OxStu

Bitter loser

The University has revealed that it has been receiving a huge number of Freedom of Information requests from a bitter student, after their application to study at undergraduate level was rejected.

The student in question is alleged to have lodged over 40 requests since August 2011.

The University told a Parliamentary inquiry into the FoI requests the “aggrieved” student’s requests tied up an academic for about 30 hours.

...i'm looking squarely at you fluteflute :tongue: :wink:
Reply 154
...i'm looking squarely at you fluteflute :tongue: :wink:
Mmm, I've been lying all this time, and actually got rejected...
Ok so I'll admit that spreadsheets are not one of my strong points however from the spreadsheet on Admissions Statistics for each College in 2010 it looks to me like applying to Christ Church is a safer bet than Magdalen or Brasenose for example. Could someone confirm this for me? Thanks!
Original post by sambookaa
Ok so I'll admit that spreadsheets are not one of my strong points however from the spreadsheet on Admissions Statistics for each College in 2010 it looks to me like applying to Christ Church is a safer bet than Magdalen or Brasenose for example. Could someone confirm this for me? Thanks!

Err just apply to the one you like the best. If you look at the column "# of applicants with place (anywhere)" you see that acceptance rate to the university in general is quite uniform, no matter which college you choose, because the most competitive colleges can send good applicants to other, less oversubscribed colleges during the interview period.

If you're good enough, they will try to find you a place even if it isn't at your first choice college.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Err just apply to the one you like the best. If you look at the column "# of applicants with place (anywhere)" you see that acceptance rate to the university in general is quite uniform, no matter which college you choose, because the most competitive colleges can send good applicants to other, less oversubscribed colleges during the interview period.

If you're good enough, they will try to find you a place even if it isn't at your first choice college.

Aah thanks very much I see what you mean! :smile:

:eek: Wow.

Also, thanks for linking me to whatdotheyknow.com - it's a very interesting website.

Oh, and nice work on the admission statistics - I've only briefly scanned the thread but it'll make for a nice read after my exams. :biggrin:
Original post by sambookaa

Go with the one you like best. There's no point in playing the statistics game, because Oxford's pooling system means that students who apply to more oversubscribed colleges can be allocated a place at another less popular college if their preferred college doesn't have room for them. That said, there is a small possibility of slipping through the net, and if you don't like the idea of being pooled then I guess oversubscribedness is something to consider. On the whole they're all pretty similar though. If I'd seen this thread last year, I wouldn't have applied to Exeter College - but as it happens, I did, and I got an offer. So don't read too much into the statistics :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest