University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by kikkoman
Ah right. Although, to quote from the Department of Engineering's web-site

"However, studentships may be awarded earlier to applicants who already hold a first-class degree or its equivalent."

So could be earlier ...

would you mind to say which course you applied for in engineering science department?

As far as i knew the quote pointed towards research council scholarship (EPSRC)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Ah right. Although, to quote from the Department of Engineering's web-site

"However, studentships may be awarded earlier to applicants who already hold a first-class degree or its equivalent."

So could be earlier ...

I think this means people who apply after having finished their degree.. but what can I say, it might be different for your department
Reply 922
Original post by neuro11
would you mind to say which course you applied for in engineering science department?

As far as i knew the quote pointed towards research council scholarship (EPSRC)

Do you mean the research group? I didn't apply for the CDT so it's just straight DPhil by Research.

Yup you're correct, it's for the EPSRC grants
Reply 923
Do you mean the research group? I didn't apply for the CDT so it's just straight DPhil by Research.

Yup you're correct, it's for the EPSRC grants

i thought it :biggrin: when you mentioned that quote. thats why asked you.
Reply 924
Just checked the university website:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/postgraduate_courses/apply/outcomes.html

It says if you applied for the january deadline you'd expect to hear from the university about your offer in late March.
Hi again everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with updating Oxford application?

More specifically, I just received an announcement that my humanities research proposal was awarded a grant by a research center. Since this is not a minor award (several thousand USD), and might significantly improve my chances of getting into Oxford (research experience, ability to get grants etc.), I would like to notify them of this development.

I also need to point out that I mentioned this particular research proposal in my CV, and said the status of the award is "pending approval" by the research institution.

Kindly let me know if anyone has done something similar in the past and whether Oxford would respond positively to such a request?

Thanks.
Original post by Klackalica
Hi again everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with updating Oxford application?

More specifically, I just received an announcement that my humanities research proposal was awarded a grant by a research center. Since this is not a minor award (several thousand USD), and might significantly improve my chances of getting into Oxford (research experience, ability to get grants etc.), I would like to notify them of this development.

I also need to point out that I mentioned this particular research proposal in my CV, and said the status of the award is "pending approval" by the research institution.

Kindly let me know if anyone has done something similar in the past and whether Oxford would respond positively to such a request?

Thanks.

I don't have experience with updating ( I did think of updating my CV to have it include that I will present a paper in a conference, but I don't know...it's not that important.)
Yours however is REALLY important!!! Congratulations btw!! If I were you I would call/email the department (maybe the director of graduate studies?) and ask them if you can add this information. What department are you?
Reply 927
Original post by Xristina
I don't have experience with updating ( I did think of updating my CV to have it include that I will present a paper in a conference, but I don't know...it's not that important.)
Yours however is REALLY important!!! Congratulations btw!! If I were you I would call/email the department (maybe the director of graduate studies?) and ask them if you can add this information. What department are you?

I'd say emailing the department's graduate office would probably be better, because they'll know where in the department the application currently is. The director of graduate studies might not know where it is until it reaches him.
Thanks for the feedback.

I will e-mail them promptly.

I will also attach an e-mail from the research institution, as well as a letter from my project supervisor, stating that I have actually received it. I hope that should do the trick.
I am applying for MSt in Oriental Studies.

Kindest regards.

Update: Sent and hoping for the best. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Managed to get my application accepted now, the people in the linguistics department were actually really nice and helpful (other than admissions...). So I had to get my transcripts signed and stamped and sent them in by email again.. It's only waiting now I guess.. :biggrin:
Reply 930
Original post by frone
Hi ajbg, I'm also applying for Life Sciences PhD program (computational biology, but at the Department of Zoology).

I'm freaking out about my application + possible interview... Would you kindly share your interview experience please? Were you asked mostly about your own research experience and proposal or about general concepts in Biology?

Thank you so much, I would really appreciate your advice!

Hi! The interview was really nice, actually. The panel (6 of them) was very friendly and not at all intimidating; then again it was via skype, so maybe that made a difference. They asked me about my recent research project, why that program, what type of research I was interested in, that kind of stuff. They also asked if I had applied to others programs and how long would I take to give them an answers, were they to offer me a place in the program. All things considered, it was the best interview I’ve done so far.

Just so you know, in other interviews I have been asked actual biochemistry/molecular biology/biophysics questions (form explaining X-ray crystallography to describing how I would prove that two proteins interact in vivo) so maybe prepare yourself mentally for them, but don't panic over the possibility.

I thought the week between getting the interview invitation to the actual interview was hell, but waiting for the outcome is ten times worst!

Best of luck!
Reply 931
Original post by Oscary
Why don't you email the secretary who organised your interview? She/he'll probably have a good idea of when you should expect a reply.

That's what I was thinking. It's not overbearing, is it? They did say a week, but I'm seriously going mental. A week was yesterday, is it too much? :s-smilie: he he he

Thanks!
Reply 932
Original post by neuro11
Don know about your department much. But from my experience and some others, i saw they inform individually.
waiting?? i think that is common for all. don worry much (or try not to) At my interview they told me that i would be informed of the outcome with in a week!! and after a week when i were going mad, i mailed admin stuff in the department (who so far contacted me for interview and other details). And took her TWO WEEKS to reply me the unofficial outcome through email.

So mail them and try to keep yourself calm. That seems to be the best virtue :smile:

TWO WEEKS?! :eek: That's just evil. Honestly, it's psychological torture making us wait so long. Just a 'yes' or 'no', and then you move on!... Hopefully 'yes' though :s-smilie:

Thanks! I will email them, tomorrow, if I haven't heard from them yet.
Reply 933
Original post by MagLatus
Managed to get my application accepted now, the people in the linguistics department were actually really nice and helpful (other than admissions...). So I had to get my transcripts signed and stamped and sent them in by email again.. It's only waiting now I guess.. :biggrin:

That's great news. Good luck!:smile:
Reply 934
Original post by TheRandomer
When can the January deadline people expect to hear whether or not they have an interview?

In my case it was a week before the appointed interview date. I'm applying for a PhD at the Medical Sciences Doctoral Training Centre, but maybe, as with others, your potential department doesn't hold interviews. Doesn't it say in the program description/prospectus/how to apply info?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 935
Original post by ajbg

I thought the week between getting the interview invitation to the actual interview was hell, but waiting for the outcome is ten times worst!
Best of luck!

so true..... but its not finished here for me :frown:. Now i wait for the scholarship without which all the previous waiting would be useless.
Reply 936
Original post by ajbg
TWO WEEKS?! :eek: That's just evil. Honestly, it's psychological torture making us wait so long. Just a 'yes' or 'no', and then you move on!... Hopefully 'yes' though :s-smilie:

ya, it is. i don know whether i will ever forget those two weeks of my life.
ohh, just to add that was also a Doctoral Training Center :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 937
So, I just received my college offer today! From St Hilda's, which I had indicated as my preference.
They want me to prove now that I have 42,835 pounds :frown: I knew it would be expensive, but somehow I'm still shocked. Now there is the trouble of finding money...
Original post by Knisper
So, I just received my college offer today! From St Hilda's, which I had indicated as my preference.
They want me to prove now that I have 42,835 pounds :frown: I knew it would be expensive, but somehow I'm still shocked. Now there is the trouble of finding money...

wow....what course is that?
Reply 939
Original post by Xristina
wow....what course is that?

It's university fees, college fees, and estimated living costs (12,900) for two years.

Quick Reply

Latest