The Student Room Group

Ask ACCA - Your questions answered

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by FireRam
Hi Laura,

I'd just like to see what your opinion is on the age old debate of ACA vs ACCA.

People often dub ACA to be the more dominant qualification because of its reputation. What would say to students who have a choice between studying the ACA or ACCA about why you think the ACCA would be more superior.

Thank you!

I believe that ACA is generally considered more dominant because of the member's backgrounds. Many ACA qualified members have worked at a big four accounting firms. ACCA can however be taken in industry or practice. This doesn't mean the qualification is worse.

E.g. if you took ACCA at a big four accountancy firm you would be in the same boat as those who took ACA.

It's just that many of the people taking ACA have higher rated backgrounds. The actual qualification doesn't make too much of a difference.
Reply 41
Original post by iSMark
I believe that ACA is generally considered more dominant because of the member's backgrounds. Many ACA qualified members have worked at a big four accounting firms. ACCA can however be taken in industry or practice. This doesn't mean the qualification is worse.

E.g. if you took ACCA at a big four accountancy firm you would be in the same boat as those who took ACA.

It's just that many of the people taking ACA have higher rated backgrounds. The actual qualification doesn't make too much of a difference.

So having the ACA doesn't make you more 'employable' (in terms of potential future prospects) than if you had the ACCA?
Reply 42
Original post by FireRam
So having the ACA doesn't make you more 'employable' (in terms of potential future prospects) than if you had the ACCA?

Well it depends, I work for a big four firm. Currently the big four opt for ACA. I will come out with ACA then, however my manager has studied and completed the ACCA. He was saying he could fairly easily join the ICAEW (ACA membership board) using his ACCA qualification.

It makes little or no difference in the UK which qualification you have. It just so happens though that many ACA's have a more highly regarded background in finance. If the firm is being really picky then they might say ACA only, not sure I would want to work for those type of firms though.

Would you be working in industry or practice? If you're in practice then opt for ACA, but studying ACCA and being in industry can be a lot more interesting than practice.

Edit: I believe being a qualified accountant is what employers are looking for. Whilst auditing I have seen many CIMA/ACA/ACCA certificates on the walls of FD's, CFO's all on £150k+ . However when you look at FTSE 100 CFO's there are more ACA even though there are less members. I ultimately think it makes little difference though, sure there is a bit of snobbery about ACA but I don't think that's what got the CFO's to where they are today.

Also note with CIMA you can't go into practice, well...not easily.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Hi everyone

As of the last set of results I am now an ACCA Affiliate. I have recorded (and mentor has signed off) the performance objectives and achieved the relevant time requirements.

How long will it take for ACCA to invite to membership? I am reluctant to apply as the site suggests the process is quicker if/ when I receive the invite.
Reply 44
Guys, I've been asked if one can qualify with the ACCA if you have ANY work experience whilst studying... this isn't true is it?

I.e. you have to study and work at a company that the ACCA have approved of to get the qualification right? Or does the ACCA not have to actually approve of the firm you work at?
Hi Laura.

I defeinetely want to go on to be a chartered accountant, but I'm kind of confused about the route to get there.
I'm in my last year of A Levels and I'm going on to study Accounting & Finance at LSE hoping to get at least a 2:1. (Hopefully with one year work in the industry for work experience)

So, after I've finished my degree and its done and dusted, I will take the professional ACCA or ICAEW exams with a few exemptions hopefully and pass. But what actually happens during the time I'm working hard for these exams... Will I be working part time as..... (if possible) or will I actually earn any money over this time with my Accounting & Finance degree? I heard it is better to not do any work part time and just do the exams and get it over with but I'm worried about how I will earn money and live without bothering my parents.
Especially with a uni debt of at most £27,000 hanging over my head.
I've also got some concerns as I heard that you cannot start being an accountant without 3 years previous work experience or something... If this is true.. Where/how will I get this?

A bit long winded I know but I would absoultely appreciate a reply from somebody who has extensive knowledge in this practice.

Thanks.
Reply 46
hi Laura....
I am a bit confused in making a choice between CIMA and ACCA. I am already MSc Economics and MSc Financial Analysis and have so far two years of banking credit analysis experience.

I had an option for CFA but i am delaying it. Many i know are still looking for jobs. Firstly, i want to do something that can help me land a job anywhere. Secondly, I am interested in improving my understanding and thus interpretations of the financial statements. Maybe this is because i have yet limited exposure which is of credit analyst at lending depts of banks. However, i really enjoy analysis part. But i do not want to restrict myself only to this department. What certification can give me more choices ?

Which of the two certifications suit me. I do not want to give my years of effort and find out i did something considered low compared to the other with less applications and less rewarding monetarily.

CIMA to my understanding is about management accountancy that helps during jobs at finance depts while ACCA allows you to conduct your own practice. But i find being an auditor very boring. What else can ACCA help in ?

I find tax consulting jobs everywhere. Is that rewarding career ?

What if i want to excel in Investment banking, which one do you think is more beneficial ?

And which one has more demand and scope ?

Sorry for asking so many questions ....im sure you can sense how confused i am at the moment with all these numerous certifications . Would be so kind of you to take time and help me out with your suggestions.

Thankyou.
Original post by donibrasco
hi Laura....
I am a bit confused in making a choice between CIMA and ACCA. I am already MSc Economics and MSc Financial Analysis and have so far two years of banking credit analysis experience.

I had an option for CFA but i am delaying it. Many i know are still looking for jobs. Firstly, i want to do something that can help me land a job anywhere. Secondly, I am interested in improving my understanding and thus interpretations of the financial statements. Maybe this is because i have yet limited exposure which is of credit analyst at lending depts of banks. However, i really enjoy analysis part. But i do not want to restrict myself only to this department. What certification can give me more choices ?

Which of the two certifications suit me. I do not want to give my years of effort and find out i did something considered low compared to the other with less applications and less rewarding monetarily.

CIMA to my understanding is about management accountancy that helps during jobs at finance depts while ACCA allows you to conduct your own practice. But i find being an auditor very boring. What else can ACCA help in ?

I find tax consulting jobs everywhere. Is that rewarding career ?

What if i want to excel in Investment banking, which one do you think is more beneficial ?

And which one has more demand and scope ?

Sorry for asking so many questions ....im sure you can sense how confused i am at the moment with all these numerous certifications . Would be so kind of you to take time and help me out with your suggestions.

Thankyou.

Why?

One of the best qualifications out there, especially since you go on to state you are interested in investment banking.
hi ,
i have cleared 10 papers of acca and in june 2013 i'll be giving 3 more papers. I just need to know that what will be the admission criteria for postgraduate degree in top 10 university as 9 papers are equivalent to bsc degree.
Reply 49
Original post by ACCA
Hello,

My name is Laura, and I am the ACCA Official Representative here on The Student Room. From 21st 27th September I will be available to answer any questions you have about the ACCA Qualificaton for a whole week.

So, if you are based in the UK and want to find out more, please join me next week and ask me what you would like to know! I will be answering questions live in this forum, so join this thread and find out more.

Look forward to speaking with you then,
Laura May

Hi laura

am studying acca and i failed f2 and f3 times i passed only f1 but still i want to do someting on accouning side.

can you help me???
Reply 50
Somebody here asked question about passing ACCA Performance Objectives. I was also not very confident about ACCA Performance Objectives before I fulfilled them. I filled and submitted the ACCA Performance Objectives to ACCA authorities and they passed me. Here, I shall provide you those filled ACCA Performance Objectives for your guidance. You have to fill 13 performance objectives. First 9 are compulsory and other 4 out of 11 are optional. What you need to do is to write them, print and be signed by your mentor.

You can also download it from the link below;
http://helpingacca.blogspot.com/2014/02/guideline-to-fill-acca-performance_16.html
Hey,
I'm rabiya..i want to know that i've done o levels and doing acca (f1,f2,f3)..,can i join bachelors in any university after completing this?

The university from where I'm doing have said that it is equal to 3 Alevel subjects..
Can i know if this is true..
Thankyou
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Laura,

My name is Pinky.I am currently studying for Acca and completed four papers(f1,f4,f7 and f8).Planning to attend classes for f2 on October.As it is not in the order is there any problem???I would like to start my work and I have four years of experience in banking.So would that be able to gain for my Per.If I need to start my work what will I do and where should I start ? Is it in any audit firms.So how would I approach them??Can you please advise me.I am living in U.K.How do they take candidates???

Pinky
Hey I'm thinking of doing the kpmg scheme which will eventually lead me to doing the aca and just wondering how your finding it so far, what salary will you be getting paid after qualifying or 5 years down the line(if you have a rough idea) and whether being an accountant is worth all the time and effort

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hi, I started ACCA from the foundations level and I'm currently at FIA level. I decided to apply for colleges instead of finishing ACCA. My question is that, will universities(US) consider this unfavorably? Do I have to apply as a transfer student or freshman?
Reply 55
I got a degree in Business Management and Accounting & Finance back in 20011. I have now decided to study ACCA as I'm now and assistant accountant. I'm eligible for exemptions from F1, F2 and F3 because of my degree however I don't remember much from it as it was years ago. Just wondering people opinion on whether I should take the exemptions or if I'll be disadvantaged due to not remembering things from it?

My manager advised me to take the exemptions but possibly consider redoing just F3, I have a feeling that's because I currently work in a financial accounting environment. Help please!!

Original post by ACCA
Hello,

My name is Laura, and I am the ACCA Official Representative here on The Student Room. From 21st 27th September I will be available to answer any questions you have about the ACCA Qualificaton for a whole week.

So, if you are based in the UK and want to find out more, please join me next week and ask me what you would like to know! I will be answering questions live in this forum, so join this thread and find out more.

Look forward to speaking with you then,
Laura May
Hi lauraI have finished my bachelors in commerce and appeared for CA exams held by ICAI( the institute of chartered accountants of india) but unfortunately couldn't clear the final level, although i have cleared IPCC and 3 year of articleship.Now i m thinkng of pursuing ACCA.Please guide me with the exemptions available and examination procedures and exam centers in india.Thank you!
Hi lauraI have finished my bachelors in commerce and appeared for CA exams held by ICAI( the institute of chartered accountants of india) but unfortunately couldn't clear the final level, although i have cleared IPCC and 3 year of articleship.Now i m thinkng of pursuing ACCA.Please guide me with the exemptions available and examination procedures and exam centers in india.Thank you!
Reply 58
Hi Laura,

I just finished my F6 paper. And Im exempted from 4 papers (F1-F4). I am planning to do my F5 paper for the December 2017 sitting.
I was just really confused about which learning provider to go to.

Was wanting to know what your views are on University of Westminster.

Thank you

Jenelle
I am a very experienced ACCA teacher and I teach extremely well. I can tutor you from the beginning of ACCA over skype and you will pay me after each class.

Students find it very difficult to understand because the concepts are very complex and I am experienced to give adequate emphasis on the hard topics and not move on until the student fully grasps the solution.

Feel free to contact me.

Skype me on Skype at: ACCA Skype Tutor
or Facebook me at: Last Discovery

Quick Reply

Latest