University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by Xristina

1. of course this is normal. Did you expect them to accept you no matter what? For better or for worse? And they are very strict about their offers. (At least Cambridge rejected a friend cause she got a 69 instead of a 70)

2. no, not even close

3.yes! (:confused:)

Actually this is my second master, and its in a field completely unrelated to my first master (and to my eventual DPhil...). So yes, due to these specific circumtances I thought they had accepted me based on my performance in my bachelor and first master, and hence maybe this is not so important...
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by econhist
Actually this is my second master, and its in a field completely unrelated to my first master (and to my eventual DPhil...). So yes, due to these specific circumtances I thought they had accepted me based on my performance in my bachelor and first master, and hence maybe this is not so important...

if they gave you a conditional offer, then they had their reasons.
Reply 962

Yes, that was my question! Is the "reason" because my grades have not been quite high enough thus far, for example? In this case, it is actually possible to get an unconditional offer. Or is the "reason" simply that this is university protocol for all admits that are still studying?
Yes, that was my question! Is the "reason" because my grades have not been quite high enough thus far, for example? In this case, it is actually possible to get an unconditional offer. Or is the "reason" simply that this is university protocol for all admits that are still studying?

It's hard to know, because they make different offers for each applicant. I believe that it is possible to get an unconditional offer if you've got the necessary requirements. For example, if you were applying for a MPhil, and you already had your BA results, you might get an unconditional offer.
Reply 964
Hi all,

Firstly, the offer is conditional (I'm currently an MA student); is this normal, and how stringently are they going to hold me to the conditions?

It's perfectly normal. Perhaps they asked you for a Distinction whilst you achieved a similar grade in your first Masters and therefore it may feel strange. However, passing your current Masters should be the bare minimum, which is why the offer is conditional and not unconditional
Reply 965
Original post by maths2012
Does somebody here know how this works if you said in your application form that you were willing to be pooled to another college if this were to offer you funding? Say a college thinks you fit in very well but they can't give you funding. However, they think somebody else might give you some. Do they then officially reject you or do they put you on a college internal "waiting pile" and talk to other colleges. If no other college wants to offer funding, then your college sticks to its decision and takes you anyway. Is that the way it is?

As far as I know, this refers to the type of scholarships applicants are automatically considered for (i.e. that don't require a separate application). Some of those are associated with colleges, so if the department decides to give you the XYZ Scholarship, which happens to be associated with St Derek's, it means that you get moved to St Derek's by default, regardless of whether your original college wants you or not - unless you specified that you wouldn't want this to happen, in which case they'll just give the scholarship to somebody else. So effectively, by answering 'No' to that question you'd be potentially ruling yourself out for some scholarships.
Reply 966
Original post by hobnob
As far as I know, this refers to the type of scholarships applicants are automatically considered for (i.e. that don't require a separate application). Some of those are associated with colleges, so if the department decides to give you the XYZ Scholarship, which happens to be associated with St Derek's, it means that you get moved to St Derek's by default, regardless of whether your original college wants you or not - unless you specified that you wouldn't want this to happen, in which case they'll just give the scholarship to somebody else. So effectively, by answering 'No' to that question you'd be potentially ruling yourself out for some scholarships.

Okay, thanks for that insight. So it is primarily the department that gives you a college-specific scholarship. I thought that the College admissions team decides that. If I understand you correctly, then would also mean that I was not considered for any funding at other colleges because I know that my application was sent to my first choice...
Reply 967
Hi guys,

I applied to Social science of the internet and im in the second round deadline.

Did any of you apply to this same program?

First the first rounders, who received an offer?

I can't wait till March.. .:frown:
Received confirmation of a place at Lincoln College today following my offer for the MSc Applied Statistics course about a fortnight ago. Really excited now! X
Reply 969
Original post by maths2012
Okay, thanks for that insight. So it is primarily the department that gives you a college-specific scholarship. I thought that the College admissions team decides that. If I understand you correctly, then would also mean that I was not considered for any funding at other colleges because I know that my application was sent to my first choice...

I don't know how it works precisely, but I think it's decided at department level.
QHF
x

:itsme:
Sorry to bother you, but I seem to remember that you were given such a scholarship associated with another college when you applied last year, and that you got notified about the scholarship long before you got an official letter from your college telling you that you had been given a place. Do you happen to know anything more about this process?
(That is if I haven't just made a complete fool of myself by getting you mixed up with some other English MSt - if so, I apologise for having dragged you here for nothing!)
Reply 970
Original post by Free Radical VII
Received confirmation of a place at Lincoln College today following my offer for the MSc Applied Statistics course about a fortnight ago. Really excited now! X

Congratulations :smile: - great college too!
I applied for a DPhil in the same department last year, but I got funding elsewhere.
Original post by olleh88
Hi guys,

I applied to Social science of the internet and im in the second round deadline.

Did any of you apply to this same program?

First the first rounders, who received an offer?

I can't wait till March.. .:frown:

Hi! I applied for it as well! Jan deadline. I was told by the department that we'll hear back from them in early Feb, which means we should hear sth by the end of next week. Can I ask what's your profile?
Reply 973
Hi! I applied for the MSt (1800–1914) in January (the only deadline...) but it seems everyone on here either applied for early modern or contemporary. Any other Victorianists out there?
Reply 974
Hi,
Just got an offer for the M.St. general ling & comp philology - is there anyone else doing/going to do this course (or the 2year Mphil) focusing on the general linguistics stuff? I also hold an offer from Cambridge and altho I prefer the idea of Oxford Im not sure which offer to accept... Esp since Cam has more students and seems to have more opportunities to study general ling. Aarrgh :s-smilie:
Reply 975
Original post by tigoung
Hi,
Just got an offer for the M.St. general ling & comp philology - is there anyone else doing/going to do this course (or the 2year Mphil) focusing on the general linguistics stuff? I also hold an offer from Cambridge and altho I prefer the idea of Oxford Im not sure which offer to accept... Esp since Cam has more students and seems to have more opportunities to study general ling. Aarrgh :s-smilie:

There's one other person who applied for it with the January deadline (MagLatus), but other than that I don't think so.
Reply 976
MPhil International Relations --- Feeling very pessimistic about it atm :s-smilie:
Reply 977
Original post by tigoung
Hi,

Yes, I am! (Mphil)
I want to do the general linguistics part, especially focusing on psycholinguistics/neurolinguistics. I only applied to Oxford, because I really want to go there. The only problem now is money, but I'm working on that...
What is your main interest in linguistics? And where are you from? :smile:
Original post by Knisper

They want me to prove now that I have 42,835 pounds

Geez that's a lot. Do you send them a bank statement with the 42k? Who even has that amount?!
Original post by redflipflop
Geez that's a lot. Do you send them a bank statement with the 42k? Who even has that amount?!

A friend sent one for 72k...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending