The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Guys are development management and development studies Masters competitive or not?
What's the average reply from these departments? Really appreciate a reply
Reply 1161
Original post by mousa
Guys are development management and development studies Masters competitive or not?
What's the average reply from these departments? Really appreciate a reply

Based on the stats online they both appear to be fairly competitive.

No as rough as say Econ or IR, but if you're planning on applying this year you'll want to get in an app real soon.
Reply 1162
My second choice's status has changed to 'held pending further preliminary documentation' on LSE For You 2.0. So, here's to maybe hearing back from them in a week or so...
Reply 1163
Original post by Ruire
My second choice's status has changed to 'held pending further preliminary documentation' on LSE For You 2.0. So, here's to maybe hearing back from them in a week or so...

Have you got an answer on your first choice? I believe when you see that status on your second, it means you've been accepted to your first choice.

Don't hold me to it though
Reply 1164
Original post by stamst
Have you got an answer on your first choice? I believe when you see that status on your second, it means you've been accepted to your first choice.

Don't hold me to it though

No, and I don't expect one for another week anyway.

However, it's the case that both are in Sociology, so both were down as 'under consideration'. I still can't see my second choice in LSE 2.5, and there's no change for my first yet... so... But, apparently, when the second chances in 2.0 it means that a decision is about to be made on the first. Trust LSE to do that just before a weekend.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1165
Original post by Ruire

However, it's the case that both are in Sociology, so both were down as 'under consideration'. I still can't see my second choice in LSE 2.5, and there's no change for my first yet... so... But, apparently, when the second chances in 2.0 it means that a decision is about to be made on the first. Trust LSE to do that just before a weekend.

Hmm it's difficult to decipher all these signals!

Nevertheless good luck and try to enjoy your weekend
Reply 1166
Original post by stamst
Hmm it's difficult to decipher all these signals!

Nevertheless good luck and try to enjoy your weekend

It seems every LSE applicants thread just descends into pure speculation!

And thanks, I've better things to do than wait around for this lot to make their mind up.
Reply 1167
Original post by Ruire

Original post by Ruire

Which courses have you applied for? and when did you receive the 4th email? Ive also applied to the sociology dept and no word as of yet! good luck, hopefully the changes on your lse for you account are good news! :smile:
Reply 1168
Original post by aclark22
Which courses have you applied for? and when did you receive the 4th email? Ive also applied to the sociology dept and no word as of yet! good luck, hopefully the changes on your lse for you account are good news! :smile:

The MSc Political Sociology and the Msc Sociology (Contemporary Social Theory), I got the fourth email on the 6th of January (I'd barely missed on on applying before they closed for Christmas, but all my supporting documentation had been in two weeks before my main application). And yourself?

It's actually nice to finally encounter someone else applying to them, I seemed to be the only one waiting to hear back...
Reply 1169
Original post by Ruire

Original post by Ruire
The MSc Political Sociology and the Msc Sociology (Contemporary Social Theory), I got the fourth email on the 6th of January (I'd barely missed on on applying before they closed for Christmas, but all my supporting documentation had been in two weeks before my main application). And yourself?

It's actually nice to finally encounter someone else applying to them, I seemed to be the only one waiting to hear back...

I've applied to the MSc Sociology and the MSc Political Sociology is my second choice. I received the 4th email on the 5th of Jan so logically we should hear back about the same time, but you never know! My hopes are on the end of Feb/beginning of March and any sooner would be a bonus.

I hope that people are right when they say the longer you wait the more likely you are to get a place as I'm not sure how likely it is that I actually will and we've passed the halfway point of the 8 weeks they suggest. I guess all we can do is wait... I'm not one of these daily LSE for you trackers, from what I've read it can be rather obsessional!
Reply 1170
Anyone possibly know why the MSc in Public Policy and Admin is already closed?

Seems like an odd time for it as it's not a super popular program. I imagine my app will still be considered as I got the 4th email a little under 3 weeks ago.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1171
Original post by stamst

Original post by stamst
Anyone possibly know why the MSc in Public Policy and Admin is already closed?

Seems like an odd time for it as it's not a super popular program. I imagine my app will still be considered as I got the 4th email a little under 3 weeks ago.

It does seem odd, especially when so many other that are considered more popular are still open. If I were you I'd call them, they obviously can't re-open it but there's no harm in asking and it'll put your mind at rest!

Let us know if you do find out
Reply 1172
my condition is very hard. GPA 3.9 overall. At the Moment I have 4 and 2 Exams and 1 Bachelorthesis left. (the GPA numbers are intuitively translated from german grades) If i dont mess up it'll work but I still think its ridiculous. I guess I will ask them about this

Edit: my GPA should be something like 3.98 at the moment
Hello,

Offer holder for MSc Media and Communications here :smile:

I was wondering what do you guys think about this course, is it good for a career in advertising or communication? LSE is a great University and I would love to go there, but it's also expensive as hell and I would definitely need a scholarship of some sort.
Are there any other "communicators" around here?

Thanks!
Reply 1174
Original post by aclark22
It does seem odd, especially when so many other that are considered more popular are still open. If I were you I'd call them, they obviously can't re-open it but there's no harm in asking and it'll put your mind at rest!

Let us know if you do find out

Thanks, I'm not to distraught because according to LSE for you I'm still under consideration and looking back through the forums it seems the closed signal means only they are no longer accepting more applications.

I'll call Monday but I'm not wild about my chances with spots apparently filling up.
Original post by kolto
my condition is very hard. GPA 3.9 overall. At the Moment I have 4 and 2 Exams and 1 Bachelorthesis left. (the GPA numbers are intuitively translated from german grades) If i dont mess up it'll work but I still think its ridiculous. I guess I will ask them about this

Edit: my GPA should be something like 3.98 at the moment

I think you are translating the GPA incorrectly.
3.9 is insane condition, my condition is 3.5 and I don't know anybody who would even have GPA 3.98, this is practically a perfect grade, all A all the time in all subject except one A-
Equivalent of the British "First class Honors" is 3.5 GPA
Reply 1176
Original post by janjanmmm
I think you are translating the GPA incorrectly.
3.9 is insane condition, my condition is 3.5 and I don't know anybody who would even have GPA 3.98, this is practically a perfect grade, all A all the time in all subject except one A-
Equivalent of the British "First class Honors" is 3.5 GPA

yeah I have an average of 1,03 or so in german grades. that is practically flawless. (4.0 is pass, 2.0 would be "good") and they yexpect me to have 1,0 in the end. up to 1,099999 is rounded to 1,0. chances are still good, if i dont mess up. but one single exam coud destroy it. I am just wondering because in my opinion it really makes no sense to take the upper boundary of the grade scale as a condition. maybe its an error, thats why i will ask them
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kolto
yeah I have an average of 1,03 or so in german grades. that is practically flawless. (4.0 is pass, 2.0 would be "good") and they yexpect me to have 1,0 in the end. up to 1,099999 is rounded to 1,0. chances are still good, if i dont mess up. but one single exam coud destroy it. I am just wondering because in my opinion it really makes no sense to take the upper boundary of the grade scale as a condition. maybe its an error, thats why i will ask them

There must be some kind of grade discount, because I have never heard of any top school, including Oxbridge, requesting average higher than 3.75 (and even this is extremely rare).
Your reasoning makes sense, if you have 1.03 and 1.00 been the highest, but in the US to have 3.98 GPA is extremely rare and 3.9 GPA would be an insane condition, I hardly know anybody who could fulfill it. (The fact that you already have high GPA should not matter.)
Reply 1178
Original post by janjanmmm
There must be some kind of grade discount, because I have never heard of any top school, including Oxbridge, requesting average higher than 3.75 (and even this is extremely rare).
Your reasoning makes sense, if you have 1.03 and 1.00 been the highest, but in the US to have 3.98 GPA is extremely rare and 3.9 GPA would be an insane condition, I hardly know anybody who could fulfill it. (The fact that you already have high GPA should not matter.)

ok so maybe it really is an error. because I, too, know of noone else with a 1.0 average. there was some luck involved :wink: iam pretty shure this corresponds to a 4.0 average, or even 4.3. according to wikipedia 1.0 corresponds to A+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Germany
Original post by kolto
ok so maybe it really is an error. because I, too, know of noone else with a 1.0 average. there was some luck involved :wink: iam pretty shure this corresponds to a 4.0 average, or even 4.3. according to wikipedia 1.0 corresponds to A+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_grading_in_Germany

Well, thing is there is no "A+" grade.
A is designated between 90 (or sometimes 93, depends on the professor)% and 100%, and you can not have more than 100%, so you can not have higher than A. (I don't know what WIKI is referring to as A+, maybe highschool grades?)

I do not know very much about the German system, but in the US to have 3.98 GPA means that over 4 years and roughly 40 classes you can only have one class (two at the most) with A- (or roughly 89%) and the rest, 38/39 classes, all A, or over 90/93% in each class. This would put you roughly in top 1%, maybe higher.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending