The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Offer from bath!!!! :biggrin: After waiting for over 4 months!
Original post by threestep
Guys, its not too late to consider a different career path - most of my friends (if not all) who are FULLY qualified (i.e 3 years undergrad + 1 year placement + 2 years postgrad + min 2 years post part two + part three + 1-2 years post part three) only earn between £14k - £28k) and thats nearly 10 years after starting university!!

just a thought.

happy to answer questions......

?!?
No flipping way =/
are you asking me if this is the truth??

not in all cases, but out of my friends yes, most of them tell themselves there will be an end game, but most are looking for jobs as managers of supermarkets and the like.

Consider this, I'm not saying you or anyone else does, but the job is largely adminsistrative, much in the way working in a call centre is, and it is hugely oversubscribed. recession happens roughly every 10 -15 years, the pay gets cut to maybe half, then slowly works back again just in time for another recession to happen.

Ask me anything you like. There are positives, but not as many as say your friend who decided to become an electrician or work in M&S straight from school who can earn close to, if not more than £40k within 6-8 years.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1483

not in all cases, but out of my friends yes, most of them tell themselves there will be an end game, but most are looking for jobs as managers of supermarkets and the like.

Consider this, I'm not saying you or anyone else does, but the job is largely adminsistrative, much in the way working in a call centre is, and it is hugely oversubscribed. recession happens roughly every 10 -15 years, the pay gets cut to maybe half, then slowly works back again just in time for another recession to happen.

Ask me anything you like. There are positives, but not as many as say your friend who decided to become an electrician or work in M&S straight from school who can earn close to, if not more than £40k within 6-8 years.

Great, so we're all doomed...:afraid:
Perhaps it's time to start a revolution guys :fight:
not at all, just be realistic.

look in the job pages, read newspapers, see what is going on out there.

We even had people dropping out of architecture with 2 months of Part II left - in his case that was 3 years undergrad + 2 years Part I + nearly 2 years Part II.......then had enough, poof, he left. Didn't see the point in finishing.
Unsuccessful from Nottingham for K230 two years in a row. What a success.
Reply 1486
Honestly I don't think people should 'thumb down' others when they are kindly sharing opinions from a graduate and a qualified architect's point of view, come on, be objective, there are two sides of a coin, you can't ESCAPE from it or think you will NEVER have to face this kind of situation.

I think studying architecture is not always about being an architect but to be passionate and knowledgeable in the thing you fascinated. Maybe this mindset will be totally changed after 10+ years, but who knows? Only time will tell!
Original post by winniey
Honestly I don't think people should 'thumb down' others when they are kindly sharing opinions from a graduate and a qualified architect's point of view, come on, be objective, there are two sides of a coin, you can't ESCAPE from it or think you will NEVER have to face this kind of situation.

I think studying architecture is not always about being an architect but to be passionate and knowledgeable in the thing you fascinated. Maybe this mindset will be totally changed after 10+ years, but who knows? Only time will tell!

I absolutely agree with you.
Guys, its not too late to consider a different career path - most of my friends (if not all) who are FULLY qualified (i.e 3 years undergrad + 1 year placement + 2 years postgrad + min 2 years post part two + part three + 1-2 years post part three) only earn between £14k - £28k) and thats nearly 10 years after starting university!!

just a thought.

happy to answer questions......

is this in london?- god help me, in far too deep now :frown:*
Reply 1489
Original post by Iris 6
Offer from bath!!!! :biggrin: After waiting for over 4 months!

Well done :smile: What grades and subjects did you take for a-level if you dont mind me asking ?

Oh good Lord.

And I just got a conditional offer from Nottingham. Was all excited. Definitely going to have a word with the 'rents.
Mind you, do you think things would be different in a different country?
Look, you should do it if it something you really love, I do not want to discourage anyone.

I personally think that it has to be considered carefully, please check out this link an drad up on the subject...

http://www.bd4jobs.com/jobs/architect

Also congratulations for those getting the grades to do it.
Original post by QuirkyDoDo
Oh good Lord.

And I just got a conditional offer from Nottingham. Was all excited. Definitely going to have a word with the 'rents.
Mind you, do you think things would be different in a different country?

well done, please don't be down on my response - that wasn't the intention.

Ask the right questions - the internet has a good range of answers on international architecture - although you would have to take exams again and get a number of years experience before you could be called an architect in another country - more years.
Original post by bone-machine
is this in london?- god help me, in far too deep now :frown:*

London is marginally more - maybe 20% I would say.

Look for architecture jobs on internet and take into account the following common job experience descriptions:

Part I = + 3 years (undergrad).

Part II = 3 years (undergrad) + 1 year (working in practice) + 2 years (postgrad).

Experience part II = the above plus + 2-3 years experience postgrad.

Architect/Part III = pretty much the above but you have completed your professional practice exam.

Experienced architect = 12 + years. (5 years working post part III).
Reply 1494
Original post by sirage94
Well done :smile: What grades and subjects did you take for a-level if you dont mind me asking ?

I do ib. But my 'main subjects' are: physics, english and art. They require a 7 (equivalent to A*) in Standard Math. And overall 38 points/45. I was predicted 41
Original post by winniey
send off my app on 9Jan just received Kent's request :groovy:
finally one more request yeaahh (so far request received: Liverpool and Kent)

Yea I'm an international applicant from Hong Kong, Asia. You?
No sorry and thanks for the compliment:colone:

haha that's great! there's the essay as well right? :smile: congrats!
haha i'm from singapore! hong kong is lovely!
you're welcome! :>
Reply 1496
Original post by mojunheem
woah congrats on cardif!! That's so cool, how did you get a lower offer? What did you get offered? :eek:

nonono i was wrong ahhaha i thought their typical offer is A*AA but then it's actually AAA which is my offer :P sorry!
well done, please don't be down on my response - that wasn't the intention.

Ask the right questions - the internet has a good range of answers on international architecture - although you would have to take exams again and get a number of years experience before you could be called an architect in another country - more years.

Thank you =] and no no, thanks for sharing your insight, it was just a bit of a shock to me. Guess i will have to wait and see how things go. Out of curiosity, what do you work as/are you a student?
lost my job 9 months ago and was project architect.
Original post by QuirkyDoDo
Thank you =] and no no, thanks for sharing your insight, it was just a bit of a shock to me. Guess i will have to wait and see how things go. Out of curiosity, what do you work as/are you a student?

i was a bit naive whan i started and din't fully look into it - thought wow, how interesting, then you look back and think, although still interesting a bit, wow, how different to what I thought then.

was project architect 9 months ago and now looking to move into something else if i can without much luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending