The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by janjanmmm
Well, thing is there is no "A+" grade.
A is designated between 90 (or sometimes 93, depends on the professor)% and 100%, and you can not have more than 100%, so you can not have higher than A. (I don't know what WIKI is referring to as A+, maybe highschool grades?)

I do not know very much about the German system, but in the US to have 3.98 GPA means that over 4 years and roughly 40 classes you can only have one class (two at the most) with A- (or roughly 89%) and the rest, 38/39 classes, all A, or over 90/93% in each class. This would put you roughly in top 1%, maybe higher.

1.0 usually means something between 80% to 100%. and I most certainly am in the top 1% of my uni. I will call them first thing on monday and then I'll know for shure.
Original post by kolto
1.0 usually means something between 80% to 100%. and I most certainly am in the top 1% of my uni. I will call them first thing on monday and then I'll know for shure.

Well, regardless of all that 3.9 GPA would be an insane condition.
Reply 1182
Original post by asparagicus
Hello,

Offer holder for MSc Media and Communications here :smile:

I was wondering what do you guys think about this course, is it good for a career in advertising or communication? LSE is a great University and I would love to go there, but it's also expensive as hell and I would definitely need a scholarship of some sort.
Are there any other "communicators" around here?

Thanks!

Hey you're not alone! Congrats on your offer! may I know when you applied and were you informed only just now? Well, any discipline is allowed to venture into advertising so unless you are looking into "design" or the concepting, basically this course, like many others taught at LSE, are equally accepted for roles in communications (most companies have a communications department anyway). Yea, I live in London so I know that feels for your wallet, where you're coming from btw? I've also applied for scholarships! :smile:
Original post by kolezlaw
Hey you're not alone! Congrats on your offer! may I know when you applied and were you informed only just now? Well, any discipline is allowed to venture into advertising so unless you are looking into "design" or the concepting, basically this course, like many others taught at LSE, are equally accepted for roles in communications (most companies have a communications department anyway). Yea, I live in London so I know that feels for your wallet, where you're coming from btw? I've also applied for scholarships! :smile:

Hey, nice to meet you! I received my offer on the 9th of January. My Bachelor's Degree is in Advertising, so I guess that should be fine. I have another offer from King's and waiting a decision from Cambridge, so I have to think very carefully which one I'll pick.
I've applied to scholarships too, but didn't get one from the LSE Graduate Support Scheme. I am hoping for the best, but I guess chances of getting a scholarship are pretty slim.
Reply 1184
Original post by janjanmmm
There must be some kind of grade discount, because I have never heard of any top school, including Oxbridge, requesting average higher than 3.75 (and even this is extremely rare).

Not directly relevant but just FYI Cambridge requires a 3.85 GPA for their M Phil in international relations.
Original post by sj27
Not directly relevant but just FYI Cambridge requires a 3.85 GPA for their M Phil in international relations.

Yeah, I think I saw something like that for another course, but it is a huge rarity and still is lower than 3.9!
Just to ask for some advice,

When applying for two courses I know that LSE want you to write only one cover letter, and as a result they want to know why you applied for both courses. Since you have to choose a 1st and 2nd option, would it harm my application if there was quite a bias in my cover letter for my first choice? Do I have to explicitly state the reason for that course being my first choice?

I'm an Oxford university graduate (Modern History) and worked at an NGO for a year. I'm interested in both the MSc in "International Relations" and MSc in "Theory and History of International Relations" (the latter being a mix of IR and Int.History courses run by the History department). They are in two different departments but related courses.

Thanks =D
On LSE For you I cannot look at my second preference application status. I am still awaiting decision from my first choice. Is this a bad thing?
Reply 1188
Has anyone completed the financial support form?

In the end there is a gap of 7600 gpb in my case and I am supposed to write what would be the minimal amount of support in would need from the LSE to take up my place.

If there is a gap in the end I will be able to borrow the rest from my parents, so 0 would be the correct answer? But will they even consider me in that case? Or should I enter the 7600 there?

Edit: Another thing: I am pretty shure I have read somewhere that I get a decision on my financial support application instantly and automatically. But in that case they couldnt read all the text entires with are quite important.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1189
Original post by Vanbrugh

Original post by Vanbrugh
Just to ask for some advice,

When applying for two courses I know that LSE want you to write only one cover letter, and as a result they want to know why you applied for both courses. Since you have to choose a 1st and 2nd option, would it harm my application if there was quite a bias in my cover letter for my first choice? Do I have to explicitly state the reason for that course being my first choice?

I'm an Oxford university graduate (Modern History) and worked at an NGO for a year. I'm interested in both the MSc in "International Relations" and MSc in "Theory and History of International Relations" (the latter being a mix of IR and Int.History courses run by the History department). They are in two different departments but related courses.

Thanks =D

I've recently applied to the same courses too. My personal statement was more about IR but I did mention about my interest in history (I am pursuing history right now) and talked about its relevance in the field of IR too. I am just hoping that they will see that it's IR that interests me and will take me in. I'm keen on both the courses and not too fussy. :P
was told a decision has been made on my app; roughly how long did they take to update/email you guys?
Reply 1191
Original post by THEKID1991
On LSE For you I cannot look at my second preference application status. I am still awaiting decision from my first choice. Is this a bad thing?

Are you on LSE For You 2.5?

If so it's completely normal it means they're still only considering your first
Original post by kolezlaw

Hey there! Offer holder for Media and communication here too. And in the same situation concerning the fears and the fundings difficulty. I'm living in London at the moment and I am also scared of reducing my hours at work and surviving.
Reply 1193
Waiting continues :mad:
Has anyone unfortunately received their rejections?

I got mine :frown:
Original post by Moliyadi
Has anyone unfortunately received their rejections?

I got mine :frown:

Pity :frown:

What had you apply for?
(have you applied to other uni/programs as well?)
MSc International Relations

I knew my chance was quite steep because my 1st degree was Engineering. However I still feel pretty upset because far as I know no one else got rejected :frown:
MSc International Relations

I knew my chance was quite steep because my 1st degree was Engineering. However I still feel pretty upset because far as I know no one else got rejected :frown:

But engineering is a great degree! Why don't you apply to something more related to engineering maybe? There is still considerable chance to get accepted if you apply soon.
That's because I want to work in field related to foreign relations and international institutions.

I am thinking about applying for MPhil Technology Policy in Cambridge. However the course was ran by Judge BUSINESS School, which sounds a bit dubious.
That's because I want to work in field related to foreign relations and international institutions.

I am thinking about applying for MPhil Technology Policy in Cambridge. However the course was ran by Judge BUSINESS School, which sounds a bit dubious.

what about 2nd BSc? (tho its big words)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending