Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Skis help

Announcements Posted on
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at buying some skis when the sales on the last season start - has anyone got any input on some tried-and-tested models?

I'm looking for twin-tips because I love spinning / skiing switch.

Want an all-purpose ski that I can take onto powder but also get plenty of grip on pistes and hardpack..

The Salomon Twenty-Twelves have caught my eye, but they have a Rocker/Camber/Rocker, which I'm not familiar with, does anyone know what the vibration would be like using them? They seem like they'd give me good float but a nice contact for carving, but I just don't want the tips to be rattling up-and-down when going sub-sonic

Any suggestions on models / advice on RCR-shaped skis would be appreciated!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No use on what ski's to get but snow and rock have got a 20% off all ski's at the moment.
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I'm looking at buying some skis when the sales on the last season start - has anyone got any input on some tried-and-tested models?

Want an all-purpose ski that I can take onto powder but also get plenty of grip on pistes and hardpack..

The Salomon Twenty-Twelves have caught my eye, but they have a Rocker/Camber/Rocker, which I'm not familiar with, does anyone know what the vibration would be like using them? They seem like they'd give me good float but a nice contact for carving, but I just don't want the tips to be rattling up-and-down when going sub-sonic

Maybe think about the Volkl Katanas and K2 Kung Fujas. They seem to have the right 'all round' fit for you [without knowing level, height, weight, depth of pockets, etc].
    The K2s especially got some rave reviews from a few guys who used them in Canada last year for instructor training and freeride pratting about

I'm all about the Salmon BBR 8.9s though :coma: Sorely tempted to blow basically all my wages from my two weeks of teaching on a pair of them...
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Maybe think about the Volkl Katanas and K2 Kung Fujas. They seem to have the right 'all round' fit for you [without knowing level, height, weight, depth of pockets, etc].
    The K2s especially got some rave reviews from a few guys who used them in Canada last year for instructor training and freeride pratting about

I'm all about the Salmon BBR 8.9s though :coma: Sorely tempted to blow basically all my wages from my two weeks of teaching on a pair of them...
    Mm, I've heard that you should always buy skis based on a level about you, so I'm looking for something high-advanced, height is 6 ft, weight just over 70kg.

What does depth of pockets mean? I can fit my hands and my wallet in them if that's what you're asking

I've heard good things about the K2's from people in my snowsports soc.. I'll have to check with the person who was considering buying them :beard:

Out of interest Drew, what do you ski with atm? I know you're many levels ahead of me, but would be interested in seeing what a fellow TSR'r uses
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mm, I've heard that you should always buy skis based on a level about you, so I'm looking for something high-advanced, height is 6 ft, weight just over 70kg.

What does depth of pockets mean? I can fit my hands and my wallet in them if that's what you're asking

I've heard good things about the K2's from people in my snowsports soc.. I'll have to check with the person who was considering buying them :beard:

Out of interest Drew, what do you ski with atm? I know you're many levels ahead of me, but would be interested in seeing what a fellow TSR'r uses
    It depends what you want to do with them! If you're happy at your level then there's no reason why you shouldn't aim for a ski that suits, rather than one that's going to require you to change or adapt your technique. If you prefer a smoother, softer more flexible ski for freestyle then don't go for a rock-hard stiff piste basher!

By depths of pockets I was referring to how much you're willing to spend

Currently I'm still using an old pair of 2009 Rossi Bandits. 174 long, tip 110, waist 78, radius of 17.4. They're ok, but I'm wanting something that's going to push me a little more. Ideally I'd have at least 2 pairs, but as soon as I get some money together - or before I go out to NZ [if that happens] - I'll get the Salomon ones I mentioned in the post above. Ridiculous shape, insanely small radius but the seemingly ideal mix of piste carving and off-piste crud and powder busting. But then I could also do with a new pair of boots [the Salomon Quest 14s look good]... I basically need about £1100 spare. Fun.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

I was after the same thing at the beginning of the season and after looking at a few different sets i ended up going with the Salomon Suspects, there's not much change in the 2012 from the 2011 but only because it was such a good ski then, (if it ain't broke...).

I did a hard week in the 3 vallees on them at the beginning of Jan, probably a good 40hours of piste, park and powder and i didn't have a single problem with them. I think the twenty twelve are similar but have more of a rocker.

Also a mate of mine just got the K2 Kung Fu Jas for his season in Whistler and from what i've heard they've been a great purchase too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you able to get to a snowdome and test-ride a few pairs from somewhere like Snow and Rock or Ellis Brigham?

In La Plagne last week I saw quite a few people who had hired twin tips. INCLUDING the Salomon BBR 8.9s. They're HUGE!

I have a pair of 2004 (I think?) Salomon 1080's in 151cm flavour. Diddy twintips, love them
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    Are you able to get to a snowdome and test-ride a few pairs from somewhere like Snow and Rock or Ellis Brigham?

In La Plagne last week I saw quite a few people who had hired twin tips. INCLUDING the Salomon BBR 8.9s. They're HUGE!

I have a pair of 2004 (I think?) Salomon 1080's in 151cm flavour. Diddy twintips, love them
    151s?! How small!? Might as well wear blades!

The BBR8.9s aren't huge They just look it because of the nature of the tips. Compared to some powder skis they aren't too big at the toe or tail, but they are relatively narrow at the waist.
    I really want a pair...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    151s?! How small!? Might as well wear blades!

The BBR8.9s aren't huge They just look it because of the nature of the tips. Compared to some powder skis they aren't too big at the toe or tail, but they are relatively narrow at the waist.
    I really want a pair...
    I'm 5'2" and female so hopefully that explains things

Hire some BBR's when you go? Just pretend they're yours
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    I'm 5'2 and female so hopefully that explains things

Hire some BBR's when you go? Just pretend they're yours
    I'm quite tempted to do just that.

Except that'll make me want a pair even more

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 8, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.