The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
The ECC cranes? At this rate I'm gonna get lost when I come visit!

The exterior is finished, very shiny indeed.
Reply 1021
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
You spend the vast majority of your time in Suttie during the first 3 years. All lectures are split between Suttie and the Polwarth Auditorium with all tutorials in Suttie.

Suttie also houses the Clinical Skills centre on the first floor where you will pratice clinical skills....:tongue:

Community course is not so much about clinical teaching, there are separate GP placements for that. It is mainly geared towards public health and the psychology behind patients' actions. As you have mentioned, it is concerned with how illness affects patients and how their relationship with healthcare professionals can influence their outcome. That is a pretty simplistic explanation, but I'm sure you get the gist.

Thanks for explaining! How frequent are these GP placements that involves clinical teaching and when do students start going to them? Also am i right to say that students start having teaching sessions at hospitals only in clinical years?
Original post by Ergo
Thanks for explaining! How frequent are these GP placements that involves clinical teaching and when do students start going to them? Also am i right to say that students start having teaching sessions at hospitals only in clinical years?

I have no idea when/how often GP placements are...presumably some time after second year :tongue:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. One of the major 'selling points' (for some people) of Aberdeen is that you get Clinical Teaching from the first term. This will start on volunteer patients in the clinical skills centre and then progress to weekly ward sessions in the Hospital after Christmas and throughout 2nd and 3rd year :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1023
I have no idea when/how often GP placements are...presumably some time after second year :tongue:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. One of the major 'selling points' (for some people) of Aberdeen is that you get Clinical Teaching from the first term. This will start on volunteer patients in the clinical skills centre and then progress to weekly ward sessions in the Hospital after Christmas and throughout 2nd and 3rd year :smile:

Ah okay! Thanks a lot sexy :wink:
Oh dear :frown:

It sounds as if they went to town on you :s-smilie: The questions they asked you seem to have deviated from the norm....though that won't be much consolation.

I suppose they were only doing their job really, it is a very unusual career change. Upon reflection, there are a couple of positives I can take from it: 1. I answered all of the questions (some answers were ok), 2. I did my very best and I am proud to have been offered an interview and 3: preparation paid off for why Aberdeen.

It just obviously wasn't meant to be, I'm most disappointed in the fact that I didn't get a chance to show passion. I guess eveything happens for a reason. C'est la vie!

Just got to figure out where my life is going now...that'll be fun.

Oh and for those still waiting, I overheard the woman in the office saying to someone on the phone that they were giving out interviews until the start of march, so there's still plenty of time!
Original post by noregrets
I suppose they were only doing their job really, it is a very unusual career change. Upon reflection, there are a couple of positives I can take from it: 1. I answered all of the questions (some answers were ok), 2. I did my very best and I am proud to have been offered an interview and 3: preparation paid off for why Aberdeen.

It just obviously wasn't meant to be, I'm most disappointed in the fact that I didn't get a chance to show passion. I guess eveything happens for a reason. C'est la vie!

Oh and for those still waiting, I overheard the woman in the office saying to someone on the phone that they were giving out interviews until the start of march, so there's still plenty of time!

You could still be surprised. It wouldn't be first time that someone had a seemingly disastrous interview and ended up with an offer :redface:
Original post by noregrets

Thank you! My interview was exactly the same! It was not informal as the website said it would be and the questions were really obscure! They took me by surprise and I know I didn't answer them very well.
woohoo! Interview for Aberdeen!
150-200 more interviews to be given out according to admissions today! She said that interviews are given out as soon as the applications have been scored by the selectors and not to get worried until about mid march.
Original post by beanbag123

congratulations!
okay here goes the questions lol:
What Gcses did you get?
What predicted/achieved a level grades have you got?
and what was your ukcat?

would be muchly appreciated :smile:

Congrats buddy. Super happy for you.

Original post by CalumBlack
150-200 more interviews to be given out according to admissions today! She said that interviews are given out as soon as the applications have been scored by the selectors and not to get worried until about mid march.

So maybe i was wrong, I did say it was possible :P
Original post by Ergo

GP placement is four weeks full time in fourth year, and 8 weeks in 5th year (unless you get psych instead for that block).
Reply 1032
Interview so relieved :biggrin:
Original post by Lamba

congratulations!
What Gcses did you get?
and what was your ukcat?

What dates have you guys been given? Well done to all :smile:
Original post by Lamba

are you a grad/ school leaver? Congrats!
Original post by sortedguy
congratulations!
What Gcses did you get?
and what was your ukcat?

I am a Scottish grad so have highers at AAAAAB adv C (4As and B in 5th year)
UKCAT was rubbish at 610!

Good luck!
Original post by DrWannabe
Congrats buddy. Super happy for you.

Thank youuuu!
Has anybody asked/worked out how many grads are being interviewed?

Thanks
Reply 1039
Original post by sortedguy
congratulations!
What Gcses did you get?
and what was your ukcat?

3A*s, 2As 2Bs + 2 Distinctions (ICT and Business Intermediate GNVQ)
Achieved ABB (Maths, Chem, Bio) was a few marks off an A for chem
670 ukcat

are you a grad/ school leaver? Congrats!

Doing science degree and predicted 2.1

By the way can anyone tell me why the heck national rail site is playing up :frown: so wanna book the "cheap" fare i found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending