The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Notts accommodation advice?

I've got an offer for Maths and Management studies, and I think Notts accomodation application opens on the 1st march but i still need to decide where to apply...
I really want an ensuite and i want to go self catered but ive heard the off campus halls arent as social and not as nice....
anyone there already or applying this year?:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How are off-campus halls, accommodating hundreds and even thousands of other students in each individual one not social enough?! How many people do you need to be immediately at your doorstep?!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by scbond
How are off-campus halls, accommodating hundreds and even thousands of other students in each individual one not social enough?! How many people do you need to be immediately at your doorstep?!

Because of the lack of forced communalism (ie shared meal times in a massive dining room) you just don't tend to meet so many people in self-catered accommodation.
Reply 3
Original post by scbond

good point, thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by alex-hs
Because of the lack of forced communalism (ie shared meal times in a massive dining room) you just don't tend to meet so many people in self-catered accommodation.

That's weird...most people I've come across want self-catered and the only person I know who did catered hated it. Plus I don't see how self-catered and catered affects how sociable you are?! Instead of sitting in a giant dining hall talking to the few people around you you could be on a night out with loads of people...and when it comes to food you grow up and fend for yourself.
Reply 5
Original post by JosieG
I've got an offer for Maths and Management studies, and I think Notts accomodation application opens on the 1st march but i still need to decide where to apply...
I really want an ensuite and i want to go self catered but ive heard the off campus halls arent as social and not as nice....
anyone there already or applying this year?:biggrin:

Hi there! I have an offer for French and German at Nottingham and I'm thinking the same thing! I am keen on self-catered and en-suite as well and have heard the same thing as you about the social aspect. I think it would be good if current students could point us in the right direction!
Reply 6
To me the Cotton Mills seems perfect. Nice building, nice interior, cheap, self-catered, en suite and it's half-way between University Park and the city centre (ish). Not to mention that St. Peters Court is around the corner and a few others aren't far at all.
Reply 7
as a fresher living smack down in the centre of campus (lincoln hall epic btw)
i wouldn't think of anything else other than uni accommodation or bgp incase i HAD to cook for myself.
all others are way to far and utterly void of social life (imo)
there is no point in living "closer" to city centre as transportation is so cheap and you are gonna have to take a cab costing nearly as much from anywhere
living on campus is great and bgp is as close as you can get if you have some sort of food issue (food is fine unless youre delicate)
this is my take on thing
Reply 8
Original post by gunneroy
as a fresher living smack down in the centre of campus (lincoln hall epic btw)
i wouldn't think of anything else other than uni accommodation or bgp incase i HAD to cook for myself.
all others are way to far and utterly void of social life (imo)
there is no point in living "closer" to city centre as transportation is so cheap and you are gonna have to take a cab costing nearly as much from anywhere
living on campus is great and bgp is as close as you can get if you have some sort of food issue (food is fine unless youre delicate)
this is my take on thing

How are all others void of any social life?! You'll be living with hundreds of students in whichever building you go to, with thousands very close-by in other halls. Surely you can fend for yourself and walk or travel and cook yourself a meal...or do you still need your mother for that?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
You just don't get the community feel you'd get if there were fewer people... it's hard to explain if you haven't experienced it.
Reply 10
Original post by scbond
How are all others void of any social life?! You'll be living with hundreds of students in whichever building you go to, with thousands very close-by in other halls. Surely you can fend for yourself and walk or travel and cook yourself a meal...or do you still need your mother for that?!

Well in some cases, yes.
Reply 11
Original post by alex-hs
You just don't get the community feel you'd get if there were fewer people... it's hard to explain if you haven't experienced it.

Give me a nice clean building in which I have loads of people, access to both city centre and campus either way, choice of when, what and where I eat and lower costs anytime over an old, cramped building with little choice at all!

To say there's a lacking in community feel in other accommodation is ridiculous when you're living with hundreds of other students in a larger building with more facilities inside it. Add the fact that you can bring your car with you...there is no resident parking on campus at all.
Reply 12
Original post by olddad
Well in some cases, yes.

In some cases you still need your mother or...?!
Reply 13
Original post by scbond
In some cases you still need your mother or...?!

I simply meant that some Kids still can't cook when they leave home. A year in halls is therefore a good transition
Reply 14
I'm a current SPC fresher and can say without a doubt that I'm loving it. Although we don't have meal times, it's easy to be social cause it's built around a courtyard known as the grassy knoll so everyone has like a central meeting point with benches/grass to sit and chill on. Our JCR organise loads of good events and SPC won most improved hall at the Snowflake Ball this year (a ball which celebrates Karni, Notts student union charity which is a MASSIVE part of the social side for some people). My room's big and modern, my shower is powerful and hot, and there's a free bus every twenty minutes which takes ten minutes to get to portland... I have friends on campus who walk fifteen minutes from their lectures to their halls aha! On campus is amazing as well, nearly everyone I know is enjoying it, but off campus is deffo not anti-social. Raleigh Park, SPC's neighbours, won at Mr and Miss Nottingham this year so off campus are on the up :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by olddad
I simply meant that some Kids still can't cook when they leave home. A year in halls is therefore a good transition

By having everything cooked for them all of the time?! :confused:
Original post by scbond
To me the Cotton Mills seems perfect. Nice building, nice interior, cheap, self-catered, en suite and it's half-way between University Park and the city centre (ish). Not to mention that St. Peters Court is around the corner and a few others aren't far at all.

I lived opposite Cotton Mills last year in Trent halls and the majority of students there are Trent. It's also pretty rubbish compared to other halls available, the rooms tend to be quite drafty, the areas bad and it's not as sociable as SPC just around the corner!
Reply 17
Original post by rachelkeira
I lived opposite Cotton Mills last year in Trent halls and the majority of students there are Trent. It's also pretty rubbish compared to other halls available, the rooms tend to be quite drafty, the areas bad and it's not as sociable as SPC just around the corner!

Thanks for this...was looking like my main choice but if it is mainly Trent students and not a great area then I may not bother. Was thinking of visiting Notts again soon and taking a look but may check out St. Peter's first. Have you been into the Cotton Mills or did you know people there?
Original post by scbond
Thanks for this...was looking like my main choice but if it is mainly Trent students and not a great area then I may not bother. Was thinking of visiting Notts again soon and taking a look but may check out St. Peter's first. Have you been into the Cotton Mills or did you know people there?

I've been in and knew people there, but since SPC and Cotton Mills are so close, you could probably take a look at both if you visited again :smile:
Reply 19
Ok cheers. If I don't go for Cotton Mills then it's gonna be between Broadgate Park, Raleigh Park and St. Peter's Court.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending