The Student Room Group

University payments to live off (partners)

Hello,

Sorry if my question's are complicated but didnt know where else to turn to for the information relating to the bursary's/grants relating to university. The scenario is that me and my partner have been unemployed for the past 7 months~ due to me being made redundant from my full time job (low income). We are now both receiving income based jobseekers allowance. Me and my partner are quite young and married (23 and 21) and live on our own rented accomodation, So if we was both to do an access course this september and enroll into full time education in university the following year, what kind of funding would we be eligble for (university)? Would we have to prove anything from our parents or such? If only I applied for university and my wife didnt would that make a big difference to the application form since she is unemployed at the current moment.

Due to not being able to find a job at the moment for both of us we are barely living off the necessity's (£400 rent) for our flat. Would we be able to have enough money to go university and still be able to afford our accomodation.

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 1
Just read off a different topic, we havent been living alone for over 3 years, both sets of parents are on lower incomes (disability/widow's allowance).
You should be able to get the full amount of loan and by what you've said the grant also. I dont think your parentrs income is taken into consideration if you've be dependant for more than three years.
Reply 3
I believe (the best way to be 100% is to phone and ask) that marriage qualifies you as independent from your parents. They would then assess yours and your partners incomes, and from what you've said you would probably be entitled to a reasonable amount of maintenance loan/grant.

I got this info from trying to sort out my partners finance who was estranged from his parents. It only counts if you're married, have children OR have been independent for 3 years/can prove absolute independence.

Xxx
Reply 4
Thank you for your replies. Any chance someone can post me some figures on how much I would be eligble for? Do I just double it for me and my partner or is there seperate figures for married couples.

The figures for someone who doesn't live with parents.

Thank you in advance
Reply 5
You will get assessed on your household income, which will be that of you and your wife. You are automatically independent as you are married.

If your household income is below £25k you will get maximum help (and the calculations of figures will be the same as if you were assessed on your parents income and they earned under £25k, there is no other "tariff", it's just as you're married it's *your* income that's assessed).

This will mean maximum maintenance grant, with the maximum maintenance loan, which will amount to just over £7k *each* (if studying outside London). You will also very likely get a decent bursary, but this will depend on the university. This will again be each.

You also should look into the Adult Dependant's Grant. I'm not too sure on the income thresholds, but could mean around £1.5k a year.

On a side note, you mentioned an Access course for both of you. Have you considered how this will be financed as you will not be eligible for any benefits while studying an Access course?
Reply 6
Original post by Shani
You will get assessed on your household income, which will be that of you and your wife. You are automatically independent as you are married.

If your household income is below £25k you will get maximum help (and the calculations of figures will be the same as if you were assessed on your parents income and they earned under £25k, there is no other "tariff", it's just as you're married it's *your* income that's assessed).

This will mean maximum maintenance grant, with the maximum maintenance loan, which will amount to just over £7k *each* (if studying outside London). You will also very likely get a decent bursary, but this will depend on the university. This will again be each.

You also should look into the Adult Dependant's Grant. I'm not too sure on the income thresholds, but could mean around £1.5k a year.

On a side note, you mentioned an Access course for both of you. Have you considered how this will be financed as you will not be eligible for any benefits while studying an Access course?

Most likely with struggling I guess. All the maintenance loan and the grant, the 7k each should cover us from when till when? Thanks. So I can work out how much it goes for each month on rent and bills.

Thank You
Reply 7
Original post by JirayasKonoha
Most likely with struggling I guess. All the maintenance loan and the grant, the 7k each should cover us from when till when? Thanks. So I can work out how much it goes for each month on rent and bills.

Thank You

It would be to cover 1 academic year, so from course start to end - Sept/Oct through to May/June usually. In your 3rd year though you would get slightly less, as it doesn't account for maintenance over the Summer months - you would be ineligible to apply for benefits over the Summer in years 1 and 2 as a continuing student.
Reply 8
Original post by Shani
It would be to cover 1 academic year, so from course start to end - Sept/Oct through to May/June usually. In your 3rd year though you would get slightly less, as it doesn't account for maintenance over the Summer months - you would be ineligible to apply for benefits over the Summer in years 1 and 2 as a continuing student.

So pretty much maintenance and grant excluding anything else we receive as a bonus, minimum is 14k a year, 1160 pound a monthish? This is including the grant and loan of 2 people living away from parents? Sorry just trying to clear it up.

Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by JirayasKonoha
So pretty much maintenance and grant excluding anything else we receive as a bonus, minimum is 14k a year, 1160 pound a monthish? This is including the grant and loan of 2 people living away from parents? Sorry just trying to clear it up.

Thanks

Yes. As you will be assessed off each other's earnings (which will effectively be 0 if you're not working, and from the information given will surely be below £25k) you would be entitled to the following:

Maximum maintenance grant: £3250
Maximum maintenance loan: £5500 (studying outside London) - £1625 (50p of the loan for every £1 in grant) = £3875

Total = £7125

x2 = £14250

It will come in 3 payments, one at the beginning of the course, one just after Christmas and one around Easter time.

Depending on the bursary your university gives, you would be eligible for the maximum each, and these are usually paid Jan/Feb.

Like I mentioned before you should look into the ADG, however I'm not sure if income from student finance would count as "your partner's earnings", as this needs to be below £3796 to qualify. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171617

Edited: Ah, I've just done a little reading, and it seems a "dependant adult" can't be someone that is receiving support from SF themselves, so if both of you were a student you wouldn't be eligible.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Shani
Yes. As you will be assessed off each other's earnings (which will effectively be 0 if you're not working, and from the information given will surely be below £25k) you would be entitled to the following:

Maximum maintenance grant: £3250
Maximum maintenance loan: £5500 (studying outside London) - £1625 (50p of the loan for every £1 in grant) = £3875

Total = £7125

x2 = £14250

It will come in 3 payments, one at the beginning of the course, one just after Christmas and one around Easter time.

Depending on the bursary your university gives, you would be eligible for the maximum each, and these are usually paid Jan/Feb.

Like I mentioned before you should look into the ADG, however I'm not sure if income from student finance would count as "your partner's earnings", as this needs to be below £3796 to qualify. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Typesoffinance/DG_171617

Edited: Ah, I've just done a little reading, and it seems a "dependant adult" can't be someone that is receiving support from SF themselves, so if both of you were a student you wouldn't be eligible.

Wow, thank you for the breakdown. Thanks for the info, seems we can afford uni then.
Thumbs up.
Reply 11
You're welcome!

It makes a nice change to be able to give advice to someone on the forum and they are pleased to hear it, I usually cop it for giving bad news that they won't be funded or won't receive as much as they thought!
Reply 12
Ah, don't see why. Aslong as people get bills paid and a roof over your head whilst getting higher education should seem like a steal. Had enough of getting paid minimum wage. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending