Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level choices?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So umm yeah I'm nearing the end of Year 11 and need to think about my A Levels blah blah blah
    Currently studying compulsory subjects and History, French, R.S and Art
    My favourite subjects are English, History and Art
    I'd like to go into media/journalism when I'm older

So far I'm considering English Literature, English Language, History and Art
    What do you think of this combination?
    Or... I don't know whether to change Art for Media? I'm definitely doing English lit, if that helps...

What are your experiences with these subjects, if you have any, and what would you recommend? Thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's not really advisable to do both Literature and Language so, if you're set on Literature, I'd find something else other than language. You'd also be doing yourself no favours by choosing Media, it's not a very highly rated subject.

Literature and History are good choices and it's always nice to have some variation with Art so they seem fine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Both Englishes aren't necessary and art is seen as a soft subject so it'd be hard to get into a top uni with that as an a-level.

For you A2s, do literature or combined english plus two or three from; history/a foreign language/philosophy or RE/geography/computing (ICT is seen as soft)

and if you only want to do two from those other options then one of these as a 4th AS will be fine; psychology/ media/ ICT (if you're not doing computing)
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do English lit and History.
    Language wont really help you with much to be honest, I do it and I don't really like it.
    Apart from that, I suppose media would help if you want to go into journalism but it is often seen as a soft subject for Universities.
    It depends if you want to do more academic, essay based subjects or not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    WOO! I'm doing three of those, English Lang, English Lit and History! I'm not going to be very helpful on this thread unfortunately because of my extreme bias, but I LOVE THEM! I don't care if English Lang isn't as 'respected' and blah blah blah, it's absolutely amazing. As are the other three

On a less biased note (well, kind of) they work really well together because they're so similar. English and English particularly play off each other. You have good taste in subjects, my friend! I say go for it. Ok, this probably hasn't helped much... but the work doesn't even feel like work, it's that much fun.

Right, I'll shut up now... I'm just embarrassing myself

But seriously, do these subjects if you really want to do them. At first I was worried about taking two English, what with them sounding fairly similar, but they're actually quite different and I love it, so don't let that stop you. If you're anything like me, you won't regret it.
    Good luck in your GCSEs

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 10, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.