The Student Room Group

Are West Midlands universities doing enough to prevent student drop outs?

Hello

My name is Vinnie, I'm part of a team investigating whether West Midlands universities are doing enough to prevent student drop outs?

Have you dropped out of a university in the West Midlands? (e.g. Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Coventry etc...)

What made you drop out?

More importantly, do you feel your university did enough to prevent you from dropping out? Did they offer any service or advice? How would you rate their performance in trying to stop you from dropping out?

Do you know anybody who had dropped out of university in the West Midlands?

If you can answer any of these questions then please do reply with a comment, or if you know anyone who may help this investigation please point them to this thread :smile:
Reply 1
In my experience of being a uni student (albeit not in the West Midlands):

If someone wants to drop out, it's usually going to happen and it's not something the university can resolve, even with the best intentions. If someone's unhappy, they're unhappy.

I don't know why it should be the responsibility of the university to prevent it, or dissuade the individual concerned - if they're not happy, they're not happy and I think it would be immoral for a university to step in and cloud the individuals view point, because the university obviously has an ulterior motive (reputation and money).

However, I suppose if someone is dropping out due to other reasons (such as not being able to pay their bills or living expenses, etc) then someone independent of the university should be available to discuss it with. But as with everything else, if the individual can't afford it, that's that. If only university education was free to the English...buy hey, it's not.
Original post by The_Dropout_Report
Hello

My name is Vinnie, I'm part of a team investigating whether West Midlands universities are doing enough to prevent student drop outs?

Have you dropped out of a university in the West Midlands? (e.g. Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Coventry etc...)

What made you drop out?

More importantly, do you feel your university did enough to prevent you from dropping out? Did they offer any service or advice? How would you rate their performance in trying to stop you from dropping out?

Do you know anybody who had dropped out of university in the West Midlands?

If you can answer any of these questions then please do reply with a comment, or if you know anyone who may help this investigation please point them to this thread :smile:

Have you tried gathering this information through more legitimate channels such as FoI requests with the universities?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending