The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Information Management for Business 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Antell
What are your classes? i got an offer of 38 with 17 at high thats why im asking :smile:

hey i pmed it to you instead!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 101
Original post by macboo
exact same conditional offer! :smile:

I got the same offer aswell!

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me how indepth the computer side of the course is?
Like do you do programming and stuff? If you do which languages?

Original post by hamEBooks
I got the same offer aswell!

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me how indepth the computer side of the course is?
Like do you do programming and stuff? If you do which languages?

Its technical enough to be useful but not technical enough to make me fail (so far).

We have indeed done programming. We primarily learn in Java but references to C, C++, VBA and Ruby are touched upon.

To anyone reading thinking "Wtf, How will I ever do programming?" My only previous IT experience was a GCSE which was mainly me and my friends abusing the lesson time to play games online and I managed to learn it from scratch and get a 1st. They teach it from scratch so you have nothing to worry about.

Personally I think it adds a bit of technical skill to an otherwise quite non-technical subject.
Reply 103
Original post by jamz0770
Its technical enough to be useful but not technical enough to make me fail (so far).

We have indeed done programming. We primarily learn in Java but references to C, C++, VBA and Ruby are touched upon.

To anyone reading thinking "Wtf, How will I ever do programming?" My only previous IT experience was a GCSE which was mainly me and my friends abusing the lesson time to play games online and I managed to learn it from scratch and get a 1st. They teach it from scratch so you have nothing to worry about.

Personally I think it adds a bit of technical skill to an otherwise quite non-technical subject.

Awesome thanks for that info!
Sorry to keep asking questions but im really keen on this course;
How much do you interact with companies? Do lots of people get work experience or careers with them at the end?

Awesome thanks for that info!
Sorry to keep asking questions but im really keen on this course;
How much do you interact with companies? Do lots of people get work experience or careers with them at the end?

The career opportunities are second to none and in my opinion the best thing about the course. We have 2-3 presentations a day in the first term (Optional of course) so there is always a chance to network and learn more. To be honest that part is as much down to UCL's name as it is IMB.

IMB in itself has loads of employer links. UCL pays for IMB students to go to networking days in Manchester and Gatwick where 20-30 employers focus on IMB in particular. The department is incredibly helpful in finding experience and in general most of my friends have internships at places they want to be.

I often get asked what is the typical job of an IMB graduate? There really is none. I know Traders, Bankers, Consultants, Tech Consultants, Programmers, Web Designers, People in Advertising, Lawyers, Operational managers.

The list is pretty long and pretty awesome.

I would however add I'm a strong believer that you make your own opportunities so obviously UCL/IMB isn't enough on its own in the same way Oxbridge isn't either but IMB/UCL certainly helps.
Reply 105
Original post by jamz0770
The career opportunities are second to none and in my opinion the best thing about the course. We have 2-3 presentations a day in the first term (Optional of course) so there is always a chance to network and learn more. To be honest that part is as much down to UCL's name as it is IMB.

IMB in itself has loads of employer links. UCL pays for IMB students to go to networking days in Manchester and Gatwick where 20-30 employers focus on IMB in particular. The department is incredibly helpful in finding experience and in general most of my friends have internships at places they want to be.

I often get asked what is the typical job of an IMB graduate? There really is none. I know Traders, Bankers, Consultants, Tech Consultants, Programmers, Web Designers, People in Advertising, Lawyers, Operational managers.

The list is pretty long and pretty awesome.

I would however add I'm a strong believer that you make your own opportunities so obviously UCL/IMB isn't enough on its own in the same way Oxbridge isn't either but IMB/UCL certainly helps.

Thank you, very helpful! :smile:
Thank you, very helpful! :smile:

Glad I could help, Let me know if you have any other questions. Prefer to keep them on the thread as it may help others that way but if its personal feel free to PM me.

(Also goes for anyone else watching)
Reply 107
Anyone who was at the interview, received any news from UCL yet?
Reply 108
i have mine on 8th, and i haven't heard back, i would imagine it will be some time in March
Any firmers ? :wink:
Reply 110
Original post by james'94
i have mine on 8th, and i haven't heard back, i would imagine it will be some time in March

Hi James,

is that possible to tell what questions they asked you on that day?

many thanks
Reply 111
Original post by yarina
Great!

Hi Yarina,

how was your interview on 8th Feb? Is everything fine? May I ask what sort of questions they asked?

Many thanks
Anyone who has been to the interview.... What do I wear?! Is it really smart like suits or smart casual or... yeahh thanks :smile:
Original post by ChappersBC
Anyone who has been to the interview.... What do I wear?! Is it really smart like suits or smart casual or... yeahh thanks :smile:

There is always a wide mix of outfits from people in Jeans and jumpers to full suits. I'd wear whatever you are comfortable with but personally I would lean towards slightly smarter as it just makes a better first impression
Reply 114
Hi Jamz,

Do you have any information what sort of questions they ask on 8th of Feb, seems that some people did interview but i haven't heard anything from them?

Many thanks for your help
Reply 115
Original post by mattman727
What is the time of your interview? Mine is 1:30pm

May I ask how was your interview on 8th? was everything ok? and what kind of questions did they ask you? many thanks
Original post by Anniaying
Hi Jamz,

Do you have any information what sort of questions they ask on 8th of Feb, seems that some people did interview but i haven't heard anything from them?

Many thanks for your help

I'm afraid I can't give you the exact questions as it would be unfair on others. I would suggest you know the simple stuff though such as why UCL, Why IMB, What's good about you (Extra curriculars included). What you want to be involved in at UCL. Potentially have thought about what you might like to do when you leave UCL? Having some idea about current affair related business stuff would be good too.

All of that is pretty standard interview stuff that you would be expected to know at any course interview anywhere.

Good luck!

If you have any questions about the course etc (Preferably ones I haven't answered on this thread/on this forum before) feel free to ask.
Is it a one to one interview? Or a group interview? Thanks :smile:
Original post by ChappersBC
Is it a one to one interview? Or a group interview? Thanks :smile:

Group interview.
Hey Jamz sorry to bother but do you mind me asking how many hours of "lessons" do you have have roughly for IMB ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending