The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So much work this half term, medicine why u require so much work? :frown:

Sometimes I think I may just drop out of sixth form and work at mc donalds, free burgers for lunch :ahee:
Reply 921
Original post by bhogs001
I got 6a*s and 5A's in my gcse's. Do you reckon i can still get in to medicine?

Stupid question eh?? :curious:
Course your gonna get into medicine with those grades!
Reply 922
Original post by AtomicMan
So much work this half term, medicine why u require so much work? :frown:

Sometimes I think I may just drop out of sixth form and work at mc donalds, free burgers for lunch :ahee:

I swear the workload just gets worse and worse?! -.-
Original post by Lily Academia
Note: A lovely girl from my school (which is a v. standard comp.) holds an Oxford offer - she had AAAB at AS.

I went to a Cambridge Admissions Talk and the admissions tutor said that if you get a B at AS level then it is highly highly unlikely you will get it as the competition is just soo fierce (obviously if you had 8As and then 1 B that would be different but if was one of your main 4 then its going to be hard). And this wasn't even talking about Medicine - which is even more competitive!

Original post by IAmMclovin
I only have 2 evenings free during a school week, and i have to cram all my work in then :'(

I have one evening during the week and one day at the weekend free - and might be starting another volunteering thing so I'll end up with either no free evening or no weekend :/
Original post by Varsh05
I swear the workload just gets worse and worse?! -.-

i agree...geography is like learning another language for me..not because its unbelievably hard..because there are so many weird names to learn :s-smilie:
Original post by Gcayte
Had my first day on the ward today, worked 7 til 530 so quite a day! Was really amazing, persuaded me to do medicine even more if possible! :tongue:

glad you enjoyed it :biggrin: what type of things did you see? :redface:
Reply 926
Original post by Orinincandenza
Hey weird coincidence i volunteer on a respiratory ward weekly, it's nice to be anywhere but is largely COPD and the treatment is just - stabilise, treat pneumonia or other slight complication, send home. So not a huge variety, nice people though.

Cool :smile:
Mines been quite exciting really, quite a few unusual cases :smile:
Original post by halii_94
i agree...geography is like learning another language for me..not because its unbelievably hard..because there are so many weird names to learn :s-smilie:

I find geography to be the easiest AS I'm doing :P
Reply 928
glad you enjoyed it :biggrin: what type of things did you see? :redface:

:biggrin:
erm saw an enema, a huge bed sore, looked inside peoples ears with an ophthalmoscope, listened to patients chests, listened a lot to consultants, saw a patient with a BMI of 11 (was quite scary :redface:), watched blood and catheters, helped prepare a man to go to the morgue, ate sweets and cakes, organised going on the ward rounds tomorrow and thursday which should be good and should be going on EAU some point in the week :smile:
Just had an overview of the ward really and got to know people :smile:
Original post by Natalie21
I find geography to be the easiest AS I'm doing :P

Are you doing cold environments?
Original post by Gcayte
erm saw an enema, a huge bed sore, looked inside peoples ears with an ophthalmoscope, listened to patients chests, listened a lot to consultants, saw a patient with a BMI of 11 (was quite scary :redface:), watched blood and catheters, helped prepare a man to go to the morgue, ate sweets and cakes, organised going on the ward rounds tomorrow and thursday which should be good and should be going on EAU some point in the week :smile:

wow sounds amazing! i cant wait for summer now :biggrin:
Reply 931
wow sounds amazing! i cant wait for summer now :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin: hope you have a good time! :smile:
Original post by Gcayte

Wow your day sounds great!!! Hope my day is as good tomorrow :biggrin:

Are you doing cold environments?

No I'm not :P I'm doing coasts :wink:
Reply 933

:biggrin: where ya going? :smile::smile:
Reply 934
hey guys!! i'm an aspiring medic too.

just wondering, how much work experience have you guys done??
and what extra curricular stuff are you doing?
Original post by Gcayte
:biggrin: where ya going? :smile::smile:

Trauma and Orthopaedics :biggrin:

No I'm not :P I'm doing coasts :wink:

lucky you! i have like 30 landform casestudies to learn...each with their own dimensions!:frown:
Reply 937
Trauma and Orthopaedics :biggrin:

Awesome! :smile:
Have a good time :biggrin:
You'll have to let us all know what you get up to there :smile::smile:!
lucky you! i have like 30 landform casestudies to learn...each with their own dimensions!:frown:

Hahaha I have quite a few coastal features tbh - but already did them all at GCSE :P

Original post by Gcayte
Awesome! :smile:
Have a good time :biggrin:
You'll have to let us all know what you get up to there :smile::smile:!

Thank you :biggrin:
I shall :biggrin:

So excited to be in an actual hospital - not just a GP surgery :biggrin:
Hahaha I have quite a few coastal features tbh - but already did them all at GCSE :P

Thank you :biggrin:
I shall :biggrin:

So excited to be in an actual hospital - not just a GP surgery :biggrin:

i did coasts at gcse but not glaciers...fml :cry2: haha

have fun on Trauma and Orthopaedics:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending