The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm thinking of applying to Prague, Semmelweis in Hungary and maybe even Italy. PM me if you wanna know more about the application procedure. I have a friend at Semmelweis but it'd be great to chat to someone else who's applying too :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by kookyuke
I'm thinking of applying to Prague, Semmelweis in Hungary and maybe even Italy. PM me if you wanna know more about the application procedure. I have a friend at Semmelweis but it'd be great to chat to someone else who's applying too :smile:

I've send you a PM
Reply 22
Original post by halima iqbal
hey, ive applied to study medicine in italy, romania and bulgaria.
they teach in english and their degrees are accepted but the general medical council.
i applied using an online service call eunicas.
hope this helps!
good luck :smile:

Did you apply through a website or direct to them? Have they go back to you yet?
What's there admissions process like... entrance exam for bulgaria/ italy? etc
Thanks and good luck to you too :smile:
ive only recently applied- only submitted application form a few days ago actually. i applied through the organisation eunicas and they let the unis know about you. then the unis get back to u. itlay have an admissions test called the IMAT but once u hav applied the uni tells u about it.
just google eunicas and all the info is there :smile:
Reply 24
ive only recently applied- only submitted application form a few days ago actually. i applied through the organisation eunicas and they let the unis know about you. then the unis get back to u. itlay have an admissions test called the IMAT but once u hav applied the uni tells u about it.
just google eunicas and all the info is there :smile:

Thanks, sorry I just realised that you sent me the name of the organisation in your first post :colondollar:
Thanks and good luck with the application

How abouts did you go choosing out of the unis as theres a really long list. Did you have any recommended by friends?
(edited 12 years ago)
well, i basically looked at the older unis(better), low fees and if they were accredited by the general medical council. look out for some beacuse although they teach in english, some expect you to learn the language as they start teaching in it after the 3rd year. :eek:
Reply 26
well, i basically looked at the older unis(better), low fees and if they were accredited by the general medical council. look out for some beacuse although they teach in english, some expect you to learn the language as they start teaching in it after the 3rd year. :eek:

Aah I see, I thought you had to learn the language for most of them. I know you do for romania, hungary and czech... Do u not need to for the ones you applied to? which unis did u choose?
no you dont need to learn the language because they teach in english. ive applied to:
1. Doctor of Medicine
University: Ovidius University of Constanta
2. Doctor of Medicine
University: Universita degli Studi di Milano
3. Doctor of Medicine
University: Universita degli Studi di Pavia
4. Doctor of Medicine
University: Medical University of Sofia
5. Doctor of Medicine
University: Medical University of Varna

6. University: Universita degli Studi di Roma 'La Sapienza'

i am currently studying optometry and this is my second time applying in UK, wbu? x
Reply 28
no you dont need to learn the language because they teach in english. ive applied to:
1. Doctor of Medicine
University: Ovidius University of Constanta
2. Doctor of Medicine
University: Universita degli Studi di Milano
3. Doctor of Medicine
University: Universita degli Studi di Pavia
4. Doctor of Medicine
University: Medical University of Sofia
5. Doctor of Medicine
University: Medical University of Varna

6. University: Universita degli Studi di Roma 'La Sapienza'

i am currently studying optometry and this is my second time applying in UK, wbu? x

Thanks
Oh no, I meant you need to learn the language so you can communicate with patients, doctors etc. Some unis teach you the basic language alongside medicine studies. I'm only looking for english taught courses.

Second time applying also, on a gap year. Where did you apply here? I guess it's good to learn something during the 'gap year' as it'll come in uselful oneday in medicine
Reply 29
Original post by Sir Fox
I said that there are few, if you take all the medical schools in Europe and count the ones you mentioned, that is a small fraction. Also, the OP should think about whether he wants to study in Romania, for example. Not that I have prejudices, but it is not for everyone. Still, you are right, there is a chance.

Actually there is quite a choice. In Poland alone there are at least 5 universities offering Medicine in English. including 6 yrs programs and 4 yr graduate programs(some of them preparing for USMLE). You are right, they are not for everyone as adjustment issues (culture, language etc), are huge.
Original post by Aysha92
Thanks
Oh no, I meant you need to learn the language so you can communicate with patients, doctors etc. Some unis teach you the basic language alongside medicine studies. I'm only looking for english taught courses.

Second time applying also, on a gap year. Where did you apply here? I guess it's good to learn something during the 'gap year' as it'll come in uselful oneday in medicine

oh, I see!
i applied, to cardiff, glasgow, liverpool and bristol.
still waiting for cardiff and glasgow to get back to me but got rejected by the other two. and theres a lot of bio, physics and maths involved in optom :smile:
Reply 31
oh, I see!
i applied, to cardiff, glasgow, liverpool and bristol.
still waiting for cardiff and glasgow to get back to me but got rejected by the other two. and theres a lot of bio, physics and maths involved in optom :smile:

I'm only waiting Southampton.
hopefully you'll get a place.
i know going to the eu is a bit of a last resort for me :smile:
Reply 33
hopefully you'll get a place.
i know going to the eu is a bit of a last resort for me :smile:

Yeah same here. Thanks and good luck to you as well with your other 2 choices. Have you been for interviews for them?
I got a place at the University of pleven in bulgaria and also a university in romania( cannot remember the name).

Now doing pharmacy.

By the way, who is going to pay your fees and accomodation? And, are your parents ok with sending you half way around the world. Most asian parents would not be fine with that.
I'd recommend going on the GMC website and looking at the list of accredited institutions so that you don't go somewhere that isn't recognised and you end up with a worthless degree.

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp#xacceptable

I know that there are extra exams for you to do if you try to come from a non-EU country which includes an english proficiency test (not sure if it's hard for british citizens, maybe bad habbits could make it hard).

Have you considered doing a BSc and getting yourself onto a Graduate Entry Medical Course, they take standard A level grades with a 2i and a 1st. Some even consider 2ii's as well.

If you are looking at going abroad to do it I'd look somewhere that has a good amount of english spoken as even though the course may be taught in english. It is VERY VERY unlikely that all your Romanian, Russian ect patients will speak fluent english and you will have hit a big language barrier.

Also, look at the number of doctors working here and ask any you know how many doctors they know that qualified out of the UK. I know that some are only allowed to do a 1 or 2 year job and then they go back to the country they qualified in.
Original post by Aysha92
Yeah same here. Thanks and good luck to you as well with your other 2 choices. Have you been for interviews for them?

no i havent been for an interview. i kinda feel like thats not going to come to be honest with you :frown:
Original post by firestar101
I got a place at the University of pleven in bulgaria and also a university in romania( cannot remember the name).

Now doing pharmacy.

By the way, who is going to pay your fees and accomodation? And, are your parents ok with sending you half way around the world. Most asian parents would not be fine with that.

Pharmacy- sounds interesting!
well, when you ask who is going to pay for fees... it either comes down to me getting a loan from the bank or asking my parents(ofcourse id pay them back when i have the cash with no interest).
my parents are the ones who encouraged me to apply far away altho i was a little anxious about that. i guess they can come for a holiday rather than going pakiland(as usual) :smile:
Reply 38
Hi, I'm studying Medicine at the University of Malta. I see that someone has already posted application details, but if you have any further queries then feel free to PM me.
Reply 39
hello!
i'm considering applying to a university in Prague! I know that their degree is accepted in the UK...but I hear that you have to give an exam(PLAB) to enter training in UK. are you guys okay with giving another exam just to come back here and train?
i'm scared that I will get stuck there.

Latest