The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingcoltzan
But I do IB, so they might NOT give the same offer, which is why I am waiting.

It's a free world, people are allowed to go for what they want, and I want to keep my options open :cool:

No they will give the same offer. Yes it is a free world, but when you go on a forum full of members who would do anything, I mean anything in the world to have a chance of studying medicine, who have been through a lot, and boast that you already have an offer for your first choice your going to get criticism.
I am hoping decisions will be made at the end of Feb:biggrin:
I'll be frank and honest - I think people who refuse to withdraw their other choice when they have an offer from their first choice without adequate reason (i.e. KNOWING one offers AAA and the other A*AB and you don't think you might get AAA) - are just being plain selfish. I believe some of them just want to be able to tell others in real life, or tell the applicants for the next year on TSR, that "Oh I got 4 offers for medicine so my advice is more important and I'm ****ing fantastic" so they can say "Wow Sherlock, you're amazing. I'll listen to you". Well there..that's my opinion - they're being selfish.
Reply 3863
In the end it is their own choice I guess, however there may be people with Bart's as there very last chance to do medicine :/
Original post by ViceVersa
I'll be frank and honest - I think people who refuse to withdraw their other choice when they have an offer from their first choice without adequate reason (i.e. KNOWING one offers AAA and the other A*AB and you don't think you might get AAA) - are just being plain selfish. I believe some of them just want to be able to tell others in real life, or tell the applicants for the next year on TSR, that "Oh I got 4 offers for medicine so my advice is more important and I'm ****ing fantastic" so they can say "Wow Sherlock, you're amazing. I'll listen to you". Well there..that's my opinion - they're being selfish.

What if people aren't sure?

I agree with you, but its up to them. I just dont like it when people boast about it, everyone from my school got offers last year and I got 4 straight rejections, felt so bad. Its harder when your a reapplicant and you see first timers getting straight offers, good for them, and we all like to go understandably mental when we get one, but sometimes applicants need to think of other applicants and try and empathise, although sometimes I doubt they know what that is.
Original post by Kingbradley6
What if people aren't sure?

I did mention 'without adequate reason' :fyi: but in the case presented on the previous page (although my post wasn't just directed/entirely at him, nor am I down right accusing him of things I've said there, but it was mostly directed at everyone else who has an offer especially from first choice doing a similar thing) he has an offer from his first choice, and he mentioned a reason that is 'putting him off Barts'. Not a very smart thing to say in a thread full of people dying to go to BL. :nah:

It is at the end of the day an opinion I stand by.
(edited 12 years ago)
I did mention 'without adequate reason' :fyi:

Well I guess I was just clarifying your definition of adequate then? :smile:
Original post by gunners1234
No they will give the same offer. Yes it is a free world, but when you go on a forum full of members who would do anything, I mean anything in the world to have a chance of studying medicine, who have been through a lot, and boast that you already have an offer for your first choice your going to get criticism.

Read back and you will see I did not once mention having any offers in this conversation. Someone else brought it up, and said fact that I have one offer is actually innaccurate. And again, read back, did I mention KCL was my first choice? Please guys get facts right before mouthing off :smile:

I'm not just doing this to satisfy my ego and boast to people next year.......

How do you know they will give the same offer :confused:

They could give a 665 or 655? They did to someone last year...
(edited 12 years ago)
I agree with you, but its up to them. I just dont like it when people boast about it, everyone from my school got offers last year and I got 4 straight rejections, felt so bad. Its harder when your a reapplicant and you see first timers getting straight offers, good for them, and we all like to go understandably mental when we get one, but sometimes applicants need to think of other applicants and try and empathise, although sometimes I doubt they know what that is.

Mostly the point I was making, thank you.

Original post by Kingbradley6
Well I guess I was just clarifying your definition of adequate then? :smile:

Okie dokie :smile: I edited that reply to you btw :yep:
Reply 3870
The more time goes on the more worried i get... Only a few more weeks now! do we think that undergrads will start hearing at the beginning of march? last year they seemed to let grads know end of feb and then undergrads after that.

im a re-applicant too....got 4 straight rejections without interview aswell....might have been partly due to the fact i only achieved ABBB in my AS levels.....but i worked my socks off, got the grades, and now after full time work for a year in a hospital i really really really want an offer for medicine. have you heard back from anywhere else yet?
had my interview yesterday, i think i did alright; loved the uni and the people! really hope i get an offer :biggrin:

During our tour they told us most people will hear by the 1st of march
Original post by DoaaK
I'm A :smile: what time are you?

How did your interview go? i was at 1.55 btw
Original post by RollerBall
Sigh, no you were right. I didn't even realise as that was the last day of the SSC and I had loads of work due in.

I emailed Kate McFarlane to see if I could submit a late app but it's not to be. Looks like I'll be applying next year >.>

I'm going to speak to the two that organised the SSC to see if I can get involved in MedEd some other way for next year, either helping with a project/research or similar so at least I'm still doing something. Hopefully they'll be able to point me in the direction of something I could do. Well annoyed with myself for missing that.

What a shame dude. Seriously gutted for you. :sad: They probably should have sent out a reminder email telling people when the deadline was, but then again at least you have next year (and the year after that) to apply - you might find it beneficial to do a year on the wards before doing the Med Ed BSc.

Original post by joemullally
Think you may have given me my tour.
Or at least i'm sure I met an intercalater who I thought was you (wasn't sure if it's the same guy I got the tour off)
I was the guy who had the cup related drama with one of the students.

Oh I do remember you and the cup situation with another student - you came to join us in our little circle of trust afterwards right? Haha. There were 3 (possibly 4) intercalators in the room from what I remember.
Original post by Medicine Man
What a shame dude. Seriously gutted for you. :sad: They probably should have sent out a reminder email telling people when the deadline was, but then again at least you have next year (and the year after that) to apply - you might find it beneficial to do a year on the wards before doing the Med Ed BSc.

Oh I do remember you and the cup situation with another student - you came to join us in our little circle of trust afterwards right? Haha. There were 3 (possibly 4) intercalators in the room from what I remember.

yeahh teaching you about the wonderous world of panads.

and yeah everyone and their nan seemed to be / wanted to be intercalating. really friendly actually the studenty people.
should have probably asked if there were any student helpers on here before I went. It's surprising how many users from here seem to go barts :P

I turned up an hour early and speaking to the students and other applicants seemed really easy and friendly.
I was stunned when they were like it's ten to three, thought it was about 20 past two.
The cup laugh and other things helped time pass though tbf.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3876
I did mention 'without adequate reason' :fyi: but in the case presented on the previous page (although my post wasn't just directed/entirely at him, nor am I down right accusing him of things I've said there, but it was mostly directed at everyone else who has an offer especially from first choice doing a similar thing) he has an offer from his first choice, and he mentioned a reason that is 'putting him off Barts'. Not a very smart thing to say in a thread full of people dying to go to BL. :nah:

It is at the end of the day an opinion I stand by.

Well its my opinion that your opinion is flawed. The guy said that he doesn't have his first choice, but instead you continue some incorrect rumour that he does. And I withdrew my barts application today, not because I was trying to avoid being selfish, I think if I'd kept waiting for it it wouldn't be at all. Why apply for a prospective university to just reject it before they can even make a decision on you? That sounds worse to be honest. I went out of my way to interview, so I can wait to hear from them. My cousin interviews for medicine at a top london uni, and I know for a fact that if people withdraw their applications it doesn't mean they issue more offers. They issue more offers regardless, because they know some people will turn them down.
Original post by joemullally
yeahh teaching you about the wonderous world of panads.

and yeah everyone and their nan seemed to be / wanted to be intercalating. really friendly actually the studenty people.
should have probably asked if there were any student helpers on here before I went. It's surprising how many users from here seem to go barts :P

I turned up an hour early and speaking to the students and other applicants seemed really easy and friendly.
I was stunned when they were like it's ten to three, thought it was about 20 past two.
The cup laugh and other things helped time pass though tbf.

Glad you enjoyed the interview process! And yeah, it seems there are a fair few BL students on here. Not so many active users I see in the year above me or in digitalis' year, but there are a couple of third years on here, a number of second years and a quite a few freshers. Tbh, I'm prob too old to be this active on here! :p:
Reply 3878
Original post by akash297
Well its my opinion that your opinion is flawed. The guy said that he doesn't have his first choice, but instead you continue some incorrect rumour that he does. And I withdrew my barts application today, not because I was trying to avoid being selfish, I think if I'd kept waiting for it it wouldn't be at all. Why apply for a prospective university to just reject it before they can even make a decision on you? That sounds worse to be honest. I went out of my way to interview, so I can wait to hear from them. My cousin interviews for medicine at a top london uni, and I know for a fact that if people withdraw their applications it doesn't mean they issue more offers. They issue more offers regardless, because they know some people will turn them down.

the guy(kingscoltzan did say he had a first choice, because we were arguing a couple of months ago about his reasons for his first choice, that kings was in a nicer areas etc), but from all of us who have barts as our first choice your gesture and sensibility in withdrawing is very much appreciated.
Original post by Medicine Man
Glad you enjoyed the interview process! And yeah, it seems there are a fair few BL students on here. Not so many active users I see in the year above me or in digitalis' year, but there are a couple of third years on here, a number of second years and a quite a few freshers. Tbh, I'm prob too old to be this active on here! :p:

Ahem :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest