The Student Room Group

AS/A Level Results Day March 8th Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picture~Perfect
Thanks for this, I had no idea they came out before the results, I'm going to mark this in my calendar so that I can guess what by results will be and be better prepared. :smile:

This might actually not be true for all exam boards but I'm pretty sure the main ones come out on the 7th

Good luck, anyway :smile:
Reply 681
I'm just worried about AQA Biol unit 4! It was a horrible paper :frown:

Anyone else agree?
Reply 682
Original post by loz876
Yeah, I mean I'm quietly confident but at the same time thinking that I did badly and hopefully I'll be proven wrong with the latter!
The worst bit is that when it comes to results days, I don't only WANT A's but NEED A's, so if I get a B I'm like "damn!" and my friends are like "that's a really good grade why are you disappointed, I'm happy with mine!", and I'm just like, argh not good enough! :lol:

Yeah I know what you mean. I need AAA too.
Original post by Besakt
Yeah I know what you mean. I need AAA too.

Medic right? I wish we had the option of retakes outside of the 2 years if it came down to it.
Reply 684
Original post by confused dot com
Medic right? I wish we had the option of retakes outside of the 2 years if it came down to it.

:lol: Yeah. We do, but our choice of universities would be greatly reduced (assuming it is not because of extenuating circumstances).
Reply 685
Original post by Erotas

Anyone else agree?

Well it was a 'nice' paper apparently.
However I made so many mistakes and im expecting a U .

So yeah love life.

Urgh so depressing.
Original post by EffKayy
Well it was a 'nice' paper apparently.
However I made so many mistakes and im expecting a U .

So yeah love life.

Urgh so depressing.

Lol, good one :colone:

You will get 90UMS at least
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Ooh, I'm crap at the electronics side of physics :tongue: Yeah, both. I hate coursework though, I stress out massively. At A2, there's another coursework similar to the QoM, where you do a practical investigation. I found the charge to mass ratio of an electron, but I could only do it whilst supervised because my electron deflection tube was 5kV. My physics teacher helped me to doctor my results so they were closer to the true value - I can remember him saying 'put loads of ones in, they like ones' :')

Also, there's a research coursework where you pick a topic and do some research in to it. Please, pick a fairly simple one. I'm doing mine at the moment, and it's nasty. Neutrino story :colone:

My coursework got marked up during moderation, so yours might do too. Teachers try to mark fairly harshly so they don't penalise for overmarking - every mark they give needs sound justification. Thanks! - and good luck with the courseworks and your results too :biggrin:

I don't like the practical side too much but I have been quite lucky with this one! Well done on the full marks I will be hoping to score highly in this one to give me a bit of a UMS head-start on the exams? How did you score overall in the AS?

Ha-ha that does sounds like an awfully tough coursework though I like the idea of the research one again I'll do a better job on this one.

After requesting to see the mark scheme I realised that there were a couple of things that I had missed just wish I had seen it before.

Cheers buddy:smile:
Original post by Alex Bampton
I don't like the practical side too much but I have been quite lucky with this one! Well done on the full marks I will be hoping to score highly in this one to give me a bit of a UMS head-start on the exams? How did you score overall in the AS?

Ha-ha that does sounds like an awfully tough coursework though I like the idea of the research one again I'll do a better job on this one.

After requesting to see the mark scheme I realised that there were a couple of things that I had missed just wish I had seen it before.

Cheers buddy:smile:

I'm crap at practicals :tongue: Thanks, although generally courseworks aren't really that high on UMS. I got 77/90 on the 1st exam, 131/150 on the second (panicked though) and 60/60 on the coursework => 268/300, or 89%. My head of 6th (also my physics teacher) predicted me an A* - hopefully I'll get there. LESS PANICKING NEEDED!

It is. I'm having to guess at errors in CERN's experiment, but at the moment I don't know exactly how they did the experiment because I'm struggling to find a decent citeable source on synchrotrons. Gah.

The mark scheme's handy. Look at the OCR site - mark schemes are on there. Or other past paper sites (will be useful for getting old spec papers for G491/2/4/5 revision). Yeah, good luck with it :smile: Make sure you mention loads of improvements on each experiments and be critical of each error - on the last test, perhaps you could mention how it could be done in a lab setting with better equipment. Like with mine, I would have done it over a much larger distance with much more precise distance measurements, and would have used something to ensure all my equipment was parallel.

No probs :biggrin:
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I'm crap at practicals :tongue: Thanks, although generally courseworks aren't really that high on UMS. I got 77/90 on the 1st exam, 131/150 on the second (panicked though) and 60/60 on the coursework => 268/300, or 89%. My head of 6th (also my physics teacher) predicted me an A* - hopefully I'll get there. LESS PANICKING NEEDED!

It is. I'm having to guess at errors in CERN's experiment, but at the moment I don't know exactly how they did the experiment because I'm struggling to find a decent citeable source on synchrotrons. Gah.

The mark scheme's handy. Look at the OCR site - mark schemes are on there. Or other past paper sites (will be useful for getting old spec papers for G491/2/4/5 revision). Yeah, good luck with it :smile: Make sure you mention loads of improvements on each experiments and be critical of each error - on the last test, perhaps you could mention how it could be done in a lab setting with better equipment. Like with mine, I would have done it over a much larger distance with much more precise distance measurements, and would have used something to ensure all my equipment was parallel.

No probs :biggrin:

60 UMS is 20% of AS which is 2 grades so every mark counts. 89% is very credible, you can concentrate on the A2 exams for the A* knowing that it would take some doing for you to drop to a B average wise.

That sounds quite horrific ha-ha, I shall stay away from that one when it comes to it!

Other past spec sites are quite a good call actually.

I will be thanks for that, I think it is quite important to relate it to the "sensors function" in mine but I will certainly be looking for lots of improvements :biggrin: (With some BS for good measure ;-) )
Original post by Erotas

Anyone else agree?

totally. run out of time.
most of the paper was on ATP! wtf? my weak point
Reply 691
All this has made me excited about it again but it feels so far away until the 8th. Im nervous about it too because I was doing well in the mocks and basicly boasting about how good I am and now everyone wants to see me fail :dry:
Original post by Besakt
We have to line up and there are 4/5 teachers with everybodys result. And you sit down and have to open it in front of the teachers so the teachers see your reaction first and everybody behind also sees your grades. I usually keep a straight face nod at the teacher. Then walk off and scream in anger and frustration outside.

well not as bad as our school. to save paper, only teachers get a copy, so we have to go to the teachers and they read them out :frown: and especially when you are after a straight A student and they haven't walked out of the room yet and the teacher reads out your miserable C isn't a good feeling :frown: or even E which i got as well goddamn :frown:
Reply 693
Original post by Misskatie7
well not as bad as our school. to save paper, only teachers get a copy, so we have to go to the teachers and they read them out :frown: and especially when you are after a straight A student and they haven't walked out of the room yet and the teacher reads out your miserable C isn't a good feeling :frown: or even E which i got as well goddamn :frown:

That's harsh :eek: I thought I had it bad.
Original post by Besakt
That's harsh :eek: I thought I had it bad.

i know right, i nearly cried in front of my chem teacher as well.
was tearing up and just looking at the wall and ignoring his ' u will do better next time' lecture. omg bad times

also my chem teacher hates me so, now in march i will have to face him after that crazy unit 4 exam which i most likely failed :frown:
My teachers are complete sadists! They put everyone's grades on the SMART board and colour code it (green=good, amber=satisfactory, red=bad) then leave it for the whole of lunch/break time for us to come and get our grades.
Reply 696
Original post by Misskatie7
i know right, i nearly cried in front of my chem teacher as well.
was tearing up and just looking at the wall and ignoring his ' u will do better next time' lecture. omg bad times

also my chem teacher hates me so, now in march i will have to face him after that crazy unit 4 exam which i most likely failed :frown:

:console:
Reply 697
My teachers are complete sadists! They put everyone's grades on the SMART board and colour code it (green=good, amber=satisfactory, red=bad) then leave it for the whole of lunch/break time for us to come and get our grades.

Surely good, satisfactory and bad is subjective. It all depends on what the individual is aiming for and what they got.
Reply 698

They did that for our GCSE science modules :frown: Now at college we have them on the intranet from 6am *shudder* before getting the slips handed to us in tutor. We then have one to ones with our teachers and tutor :colone:
Original post by Besakt
Surely good, satisfactory and bad is subjective. It all depends on what the individual is aiming for and what they got.

Oh, they do it wrt your predicted grade i.e. if you got a B and your target was a C it would be green. Still an awful way of doing it, awkward for everyone regardless of how well/badly you did!

Quick Reply

Latest