The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Okay, I think I've got it. 3500kcals or cadbury's chocolate equals 673g, which is 1.48lbs (if I've done the maths properly!). Now, it takes energy to convert the chocolate calories to fat, so some of that mass is lost. If I haven't screwed up the maths, it's actually the opposite of what we're thinking - we actually consume a higher weight of chocolate than gets put down as fat and that is due to the fact that some of it was needed to convert the energy to fat?

I don't know, I'm no scientist. I'm going to leave this for someone who is!
Original post by Aemiliana
Okay, I think I've got it. 3500kcals or cadbury's chocolate equals 673g, which is 1.48lbs (if I've done the maths properly!). Now, it takes energy to convert the chocolate calories to fat, so some of that mass is lost. If I haven't screwed up the maths, it's actually the opposite of what we're thinking - we actually consume a higher weight of chocolate than gets put down as fat and that is due to the fact that some of it was needed to convert the energy to fat?

I don't know, I'm no scientist. I'm going to leave this for someone who is!

Thanks for that.. I think I may have been working things out wrong and am therefore sorry for confusing everyone. Ha. Don't know how many grams I thought were in a pound, but it's much less than I thought. Oops!
Reply 342
I was SO annoyed with myself last night, I caved and had a massive hot chocolate and two pieces of toast and honey. Then, a couple of hours later, I had the same again!!! I'm being really good with myself today to make up for it.
My weekly shop is arriving on monday too and it's full of low calorie, ordinary things like tins of beans, soup, fish. I'm also gonna do a veggie shop. So I won't have anything in that I can binge on! [Except the hot chocolate but I'll allow that!]
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Thanks for that.. I think I may have been working things out wrong and am therefore sorry for confusing everyone. Ha. Don't know how many grams I thought were in a pound, but it's much less than I thought. Oops!

Ah I think I know what you mean now that everybody else posted an explanation.
Right, 30DS time I think.

Part of me is going 'nrrrrggg, don't bother, just sit around instead' but I'm ignoring her :tongue: I know I'll feel better once it's done, and it's only 20 minutes after all.
Reply 345
Think I managed to lose a pound last week :biggrin: but I won't be certain until i weigh in again next week.

Plus I just had an epic gym session, feeling nice and tired now.

Hope you all have a happy and healthy weekend! :smile:
Original post by tumbling
Think I managed to lose a pound last week :biggrin: but I won't be certain until i weigh in again next week.

Plus I just had an epic gym session, feeling nice and tired now.

Hope you all have a happy and healthy weekend! :smile:

Well done, +rep :biggrin:.
Lost another pound this week, slightly disappointed because I've done a fair bit of exercise *but* I have started using dumbbells to 'tone' my arms so that might account a little bit for it.

But, hey, a pound's a pound and I guess now I've lost the majority of my weight I guess the losses will start slowing down :smile:

Have a good weekend everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 348
If anyone is interested in getting a heart rate monitor, they have them in Lidl at the moment for £12.99! Obviously they're not gonna be as good as the fancy £60+ ones, but better than nothing! I got one today, won't have chance to try it until tomorrow though.
I've been doing quite well all week food wise which is a huge change and struggle for me. I've actually gone 5 days without something sweet until just now where a had a little slice of cake...part of me is slightly annoyed but the other part tells me that it's not the end of the world because I usually do it everyday. I don't think I've lost but normally I eat like a pig but exercise hard..but this week I've done the opposite. 1200 is so low though...I literally have to have fruit and veg all day and until dinner and I feel constantly emotionally hungry! I've mostly eaten my BMR this week though but without any exercise so I don't see it looking too great.
Reply 350
Just gotten back from a week in New York, and I've stayed the same weight :smile: Happy with that, as I did eat a fair (but not ridiculous) amount of rubbish. Did absolutely loads fo walking though to make up for it. I'm just happy I kept my 3lb loss off from before! :smile:
Original post by 08batee
Just gotten back from a week in New York, and I've stayed the same weight :smile: Happy with that, as I did eat a fair (but not ridiculous) amount of rubbish. Did absolutely loads fo walking though to make up for it. I'm just happy I kept my 3lb loss off from before! :smile:

That's brilliant! Well done. Also I'm very jealous that you've been to NY, I love it there. Haven't been since 2006, can't believe that's almost 6 years ago!
I have a new secret weight loss weapon..

Spoiler

Only issue is that he needs ten steps for every one of mine, so it may take a while..

Spoiler

Only issue is that he needs ten steps for every one of mine, so it may take a while..

hahahaha...this did make me laugh! Won't let me rep!
-------------
Why, oh why does my family get KFC on the day I have been craving it. I've literally been talking about KFC all day with my friend and even watched someone in my lecture eat it...and coincidentally, everyone in my family is downstairs eating it so i'm hibernating :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
-------------

:biggrin: He will be awesome to walk when he's a bit bigger!
:biggrin: He will be awesome to walk when he's a bit bigger!

He's gorgeous!!
Reply 356

Spoiler

Awww so cute!
Reply 357
Original post by *GoLdSeQuIn*
-------------
Why, oh why does my family get KFC on the day I have been craving it. I've literally been talking about KFC all day with my friend and even watched someone in my lecture eat it...and coincidentally, everyone in my family is downstairs eating it so i'm hibernating :frown:

I live a three minute walk from KFC...and Dominos...lol :frown:
Original post by Lell
I live a three minute walk from KFC...and Dominos...lol :frown:

My family own a takeaway that I work in till late when i'm absolutely starving...beat that :tongue: It takes so much more thought to actually go in and buy it though so you tend to have more time to change your mind. But when it's downstairs fresh and hot and your parents keep telling you to eat, it's so hard to resist! Like I would never walk into a shop and buy a chocolate bar but if there's one in the cupboard, i'll scoff it out of impulse and greed:colondollar:
We'll be strong because as amazing as it may seem at the time, we know full well it won't be worth it:biggrin:

Spoiler

Lovely! What breed is he? And does he have a name yet?! x

Latest