Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wine at 14% is never bad?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my conshiderable experiensh...

As quality goes have you ever had a bad wine at 14%?

My thoughts are that simply being able to make a wine at that strength involves such skill and quality ingredients that it precludes it from being a duffer?

I simply cannot think of one that was bad.

Shiraz, Zinfandel, Cab Sauv, Merlot etc.
    • 41 followers

No. No. I do not concur sir. Bad wine comes in all grapes and alcohol strengths. You need to try harder in your quest for bad wine - the strong stuff is defo out there
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have tried many cheap drinks at high ABV of practically all persuasions, including wine, and they are all both hideous and brilliant simultaneously. But leaning towards hideous. Terrible strong wine is out there
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CN)
    No. No. I do not concur sir. Bad wine comes in all grapes and alcohol strengths. You need to try harder in your quest for bad wine - the strong stuff is defo out there
    Maybe I just didn't realise how selective I am after all? :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shiraz is not nice IMO, can you get that at 14%?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Shiraz is not nice IMO, can you get that at 14%?
    Assuredly yes.

Cabernet Shiraz is popular too.

15% is not uncommon in any of these grapes. But perhaps less of recent as I think the extremely hot seasons that produced them in the new world have not been present of late.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a really naff Malbec at 14% once. I did have a cold so perhaps my taste was a bit obscured.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I once had really bad malbec that was 14%. It tasted like feet. That said, I drank it anyway. Spent way too much to toss it, and the shop where I bought it was a little too far to walk for a refund. So yes, bad wine can be had at alcohol percentages as high as 14%.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by X_mark_the_spot)
    I once had really bad malbec that was 14%. It tasted like feet.
    :rofl:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon? It is indeed the best, in my opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a glass of Merlot from Chile right now (12%), and it's really good. I also like Shiraz.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I imagine there exists wine that is both low quality and strong in order to cater to the demographic of people who want to get drunk on wine but can't afford decent stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raiden10)
    Anyone else enjoy Cabernet Sauvignon? It is indeed the best, in my opinion.
    Yes. Seems to be a popular comba across theworld. But doens't it often come from South America?

Oh yeas South African can be rather good too. Trying to think of a favourite brand from there... :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GunnerBill)
    Oh yeas South African can be rather good too. Trying to think of a favourite brand from there... :confused:
    I really like most South African and Chilean wines, but can't think of a favourite brand either... French wines are slightly overrated in my opinion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've made a 22% wine and it was ****ing dreadful, did the trick though.

Making a wine at that strength is not hard, simply requires a strain of yeast that ferments out at 14%, then a case of adjusting the specific gravity of the liquid to the correct level so fermentation can complete.

Percentage is not an indicator of a good wine, I've had good and bad.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    dont know too much about wine, but all i know is i tend to like SA stuff. I only like red wine too.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    You get bad wine at all %s. Same can be said of good wine - stronger is not necessarily better. EG, I'm drinking a white wine at 12.5% now, and it is lovely - crisp, sharp and fruity.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    14% Not bad? It is for a ******* hangover ill tell you that.

Chianti beats all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vindobona)
    French wines are slightly overrated in my opinion.
    :angry::angry::angry:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm enjoying a Cabernet Sauvignon at 13.5% from Chile tonight. There was a special offer at Tesco, 2 pounds off. The flavours are quite intense and full-bodied, even a little bit too much in my opinion. I preferred the Merlot I had the other night.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 17, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.