The Student Room Group

Dmu vs anglia ruskin (for law )

Hi there. I've received conditional offers from both Demontfort University and Anglia Ruskin for the Law LLB degree. Which one do you think is generally better to go to, taking environment,faciilities,education and social life into account. I would really appreciate if some of you reply =)

Many Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i have an offer from de montfort too. expecting for answers....
Reply 2
Neither.
I personally wouldn't go to either... The difference between both is neglible though, so choose which you'd prefer.
Original post by Tsunami2011
I personally wouldn't go to either... The difference between both is neglible though, so choose which you'd prefer.

There was no need for the first comment. It just makes you look like a bellend, srs.
Original post by -Invidious-
There was no need for the first comment. It just makes you look like a bellend, srs.

How? I'm being honest, he wanted a honest assesment of the unis and both are poorly rated. I did counter it with some constructive feedback. Why didn't you quote the person above me? srs.
How? I'm being honest, he wanted a honest assesment of the unis and both are poorly rated. I did counter it with some constructive feedback. Why didn't you quote the person above me? srs.

He was obviously a troll. Also he/she asked which one was better. You just flat out said they're both ****, even if you could have just said the second bit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Sign on :wink: lol I don't think there's much difference, but I'd go for Demontfort, they've got a good rep for the new unis :smile:
He was obviously a troll. Also he/she asked which one was better. You just flat out said they're both ****, even if you could have just said the second bit.

I'm not someone who likes to bash unis, but in all honesty they are both ****. Its like saying what is worse drowning or being suffocated to your death. Both suck.
(edited 12 years ago)
DeMontford has just opened it's new law and business building which is really nice to be fair, so I'd say DMU is better. Get DMUsed to it!
I'm not someone who likes to bash unis, but in all honesty they are both ****. Its like saying what is worse drowning or being suffocated to your death. Both suck.

Stop being such an elitist ****. Education is for everyone, not everyone can go to universities like Oxbridge, so stop bashing everyone. You're essentially saying go work in a shop when you don't need to be the best to do a job. I do hope you go to Oxbridge, you have no right to criticise these universities. Society and elitism in general is starting to progress with the 21st century, it's about time you did. You'd prefer no one to go to uni except those with 3 A's? Well tough, even if that is your view, most of this country wants a progressive education system.
Original post by sarah1345
Stop being such an elitist ****. Education is for everyone, not everyone can go to universities like Oxbridge, so stop bashing everyone. You're essentially saying go work in a shop when you don't need to be the best to do a job. I do hope you go to Oxbridge, you have no right to criticise these universities. Society and elitism in general is starting to progress with the 21st century, it's about time you did. You'd prefer no one to go to uni except those with 3 A's? Well tough, even if that is your view, most of this country wants a progressive education system.

I'm not being an elitist ****. I think its fair enough for someone to have the opinion that not every single university is a good one. I know of many who go to DMU and party till their heart is content and end up with a second rate degree and end up being a drain on the taxpayer. How the hell did you infer that I'm saying that he should work in a shop? I'm just saying that both these unis are 'poorly' rated. It's naive of you to think that everyone is 'better of going to university and that essentially 'a degree is a degree'. University should be largely for the academically able, not for people who just want to fill the next three years of their life. I'm not advocating that at all, no problem with someone who has DDD going to study something that they have a genuine interest in. I bet you're one of those idealists who think a law degree from DMU will set you up as nicely as one from Oxford. People should be aware that going to university may prove detrimental in the long run, I work part time in a supermarket ALONGSIDE graduates who are on lower pay. Now ****ing tell me going to university is always worth it. It may be hard for you to comprehend but going to university is not always the right move, simply going to university isn't enough anymore, going to a reputable university is now important. Bear in mind, that this is the law forum, which is still fairly elitist in its outlook towards graduates seeking TC/Pupilage.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not being an elitist ****. I think its fair enough for someone to have the opinion that not every single university is a good one. I know of many who go to DMU and party till their heart is content and end up with a second rate degree and end up being a drain on the taxpayer. How the hell did you infer that I'm saying that he should work in a shop? I'm just saying that both these unis are 'poorly' rated. It's naive of you to think that everyone is 'better of going to university and that essentially 'a degree is a degree'. University should be largely for the academically able, not for people who just want to fill the next three years of their life. I'm not advocating that at all, no problem with someone who has DDD going to study something that they have a genuine interest in. I bet you're one of those idealists who think a law degree from DMU will set you up as nicely as one from Oxford. People should be aware that going to university may prove detrimental in the long run, I work part time in a supermarket ALONGSIDE graduates who are on lower pay. Now ****ing tell me going to university is always worth it.

DDD? You can't go ot uni with those grades. You will need CCC at least.
Im sure she knows its not quite up to par with Oxford, you didn't have to convey it in such a pompous manner.
Original post by ultimate mashup
DDD? You can't go ot uni with those grades. You will need CCC at least.

In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you should have 220 or more UCAS points, including at least 180 from two or more A levels (or equivalent, eg BTEC National, OCR Diploma or Advanced Diploma) in academic or Business subjects. English Language and Mathematics GCSE at grade C or above (or equivalent) are also required. These requirements may be varied in individual cases.

London Met
Im sure she knows its not quite up to par with Oxford, you didn't have to convey it in such a pompous manner.

Yeah bad move on my part. Just aggravating when someone labels you as an elitist **** just for thinking that some unis aren't worth 9k.
Reply 16
Don't bother. Considering the fees and the extremely competitive law market, what will those universities offer you to ensure you don't end up in Tesco or on JSA?
I'm not being an elitist ****. I think its fair enough for someone to have the opinion that not every single university is a good one. I know of many who go to DMU and party till their heart is content and end up with a second rate degree and end up being a drain on the taxpayer. How the hell did you infer that I'm saying that he should work in a shop? I'm just saying that both these unis are 'poorly' rated. It's naive of you to think that everyone is 'better of going to university and that essentially 'a degree is a degree'. University should be largely for the academically able, not for people who just want to fill the next three years of their life. I'm not advocating that at all, no problem with someone who has DDD going to study something that they have a genuine interest in. I bet you're one of those idealists who think a law degree from DMU will set you up as nicely as one from Oxford. People should be aware that going to university may prove detrimental in the long run, I work part time in a supermarket ALONGSIDE graduates who are on lower pay. Now ****ing tell me going to university is always worth it. It may be hard for you to comprehend but going to university is not always the right move, simply going to university isn't enough anymore, going to a reputable university is now important. Bear in mind, that this is the law forum, which is still fairly elitist in its outlook towards graduates seeking TC/Pupilage.

Actually, I think you will find employers value these so-called lesser universities' degree programmes which offer a year in industry. That's why you find establishments like Nottingham Trent fairing so well.

Did I say DMU is on a par with Oxford, obviously it isn't, but in my view only about 10 universities in the UK have that 'wow factor' or something of recognition, most other unis are just seen as unis.

As for 'poorly' looked upon universities, every institution has to start somewhere. The Red Bricks, prior to the introduction of the plate-glass universities were looked upon as the newcomers, now look at their reputation :rolleyes:

One of the key things of university is the experience anyway, your a joke if you think the majority of students are there to only study, that's not the culture in the UK. For example, at Manchester you will find many chose it for the party scene. As for taxes, if you're so concerned, why don't you get the government to chase up big business who got a deal and didn't pay 25billion GBP in corporation tax? There you go, you're obviously not that concerned, so don't pick on one part but not another. Anyhow, it has been STATISTICALLY proven, that graduates earn more than non-graduates, thus, graduates pay more tax, which thus helps fund government and its spending.

This person may not want to go into law, in fact only a few actually become barristers. This person will gain transferable skills which employers are after. I think you're best to stick with your supermarket job to be honest, Mr. Elitist.
Reply 18
Original post by sarah1345

Here's a harsh truth; education is an elitist system. No, it's not for everyone because some people aren't smart enough. People are told they can't all be footballers so why do people not want to be realistic about their career choices?
He has the same right as anyone to criticise a university. Uni's can be graded/categorized. Who are you to dismiss this and on what ground? Because I can tell you companies will not have such an ignorant view.
Original post by Cool Kid
Here's a harsh truth; education is an elitist system. No, it's not for everyone because some people aren't smart enough. People are told they can't all be footballers so why do people not want to be realistic about their career choices?
He has the same right as anyone to criticise a university. Uni's can be graded/categorized. Who are you to dismiss this and on what ground? Because I can tell you companies will not have such an ignorant view.

'Cool Kid', email some departments of these 'lesser' universities and you will find many have found jobs in large firms. Education isn't everything, a few qualifications mean f-all in the real world. You might be a good talker/thinker but might not be so good at intense study. That's why people who didn't go to a top 20 universities manage to get well paid jobs, because they're able to do other things that are more useful to a business rather than being some gimp who went to an 'awesome' uni, got a 1st or a 2:1, then expects everything to be handed to them on a plate.

This is the University of West of England's graduate destinations for example. Boy, there's some pretty big firms on there, not everything is as you want it; the people remembering the most, getting the best and highest paid jobs, hence, the Tsunami guy works in a supermarket, and these people at a supposedly 'lesser' university have gotten into some pretty nice companies.

http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/whyuwe/greatgraduateprospects/graduatedestinations.aspx
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest