The Student Room Group

UCAS 2012 - Discuss your decisions **here**

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
seems like i won't be able to visit the unis after all. god, how on earth am i supposed to decide now!? :s-smilie:
I made my choices on UCAS and just applied for accommodation :smile: Looking forward to September now!

I firmed UCL, insured St. Andrews, rejected Bristol, Edinburgh and King's.

Anyone else done something similar?
I'm indecisive as to what uni to firm and which other to put as reserve.. I made a thread about it (which in hindsight maybe I shouldn't have done) I shall put the link below for people who would like to help!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1925334

In short I don't know if to firm Bristol, Kings, Sheffield, UEA or Surrey for Politics?!
Reply 763
Original post by shaaar
Has anyone had a reply in the evening or at weird times? I want a UCAS email so bad..

I think i got one of mine at like 9pm. Could be wrong, i just remember being surprised cause it was rather late.
Reply 764
Original post by anonystudent
I had my interview today, it went surprisingly well. I was told an offer would be made for both courses, though my interviewer felt I was best suited for CS.

I also brought up my Math GCSE resit (having failed with a D at secondary school) within the conversation, he said as long as I hit the predicted grade of D*D*D* (Extended Diploma) and I don't completely screw up and go beyond unclassified boundary in my GCSE I should be fine. He spoke to the admission team for me and got back to me on it. I'm just a little puzzled :s-smilie: I though GCSE Mathematics was completely compulsory?

Can anyone shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Nothing seems to be completely compulsory from my experiences, when i was applying for college i was competing for a place against my friend and they gave him the place even though he got a D in maths and i got a B. They said achieving a C in Maths was compulsory to get a place, but clearly not. I know that's college and not university but still. (Oh and they said the reason they picked him over me was cause he applied before i did)
I've emailed the admissions team at the School of Computing after receiving a condition to study CS without GCSE Maths, hoping it's not a mistake.
Reply 766
Original post by DarwinsDevotee
Would it be at all silly to choose Bangor over Sheffield for Biology/Zoology?

Yes.
Reply 767
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Hahaha. Just firmed UEA for Pharmacy yesterday, then go on this thread and freak out at the "Don't be one of those people who chose their firm and insurance in February and wished they hadn't." Ah well, if I'm screwed, I'm screwed.

Trust me, you wont regret choosing the UEA. I live nearby, and I can safely say that it's a fantastic university with a great reputation all round :smile:
Reply 768
I made my decision about a month ago.

I've firmed Sussex, and insured Royal Holloway for BA Geography :smile:

I rejected Leicester, Queen Mary and Sheffield. I found it SO difficult rejecting Sheffield though - it's such a great university, and to be honest its facilities but Sussex to shame. However it didn't seem a very "me" university, so i'm excited to start at Sussex in September!
Original post by swbp
Trust me, you wont regret choosing the UEA. I live nearby, and I can safely say that it's a fantastic university with a great reputation all round :smile:

That's a comfort then. :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to going there. :biggrin: And then other people say "isn't it a bit early to choose?" and I freak out slightly.
I'm probably going to make my decision next month after results day (*cringes*). But, if all goes to plan, then I'll probably put:

Firm- University of Birmingham: Physics
Insurance- Lancaster University: Physics
Newcastle, Northumbria, Sunderland or Teeside for Accounting...

Decisions decisions decisions...
Reply 772
I've made a firm choice but I'd like to change it, is this possible?
Reply 773
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
That's a comfort then. :biggrin: I'm really looking forward to going there. :biggrin: And then other people say "isn't it a bit early to choose?" and I freak out slightly.

Don't worry i've firmed UEA as well....rejected sheffield,Sussex and Lancaster and know i have absolutely made the right choice....hopefully see you in september!!
Original post by boocat
Don't worry i've firmed UEA as well....rejected sheffield,Sussex and Lancaster and know i have absolutely made the right choice....hopefully see you in september!!

Thing is though, I haven't spoken to anyone who went to UEA and didn't love it there, so I don't know why I'm worrying. That's great, it'll be so weird to actually meet someone from TSR. :lol: Hopefully see you in September as well! Any idea which accomodation you'll go for yet?
Reply 775
Help! Deciding between Southampton and Bath for German & Spanish...I really don't know how to decide! Bath is prettier but Southampton does better in the league tables. I have loads of school friends going to Southampton but a cousin going to Bath...ahhh!!!
Reply 776
Just made my choices! Big sigh of relief now that the whole UCAS process is over until August.
I firmed Sheffield and insured Nottingham Trent for Journalism (thereby rejecting Bournemouth and UCLAN).
I know it's early but I've had my heart set on Sheffield for months and months - can't see that changing!
Definitely putting Oxford as my firm but I have no idea whether to put Manchester or Sheffield as insurance. If anyone could help/offer any advice I'll give you all mah laaaav :love: Seriously though, I'm so torn :frown:
Reply 778
Original post by Chaofan88
Definitely putting Oxford as my firm but I have no idea whether to put Manchester or Sheffield as insurance. If anyone could help/offer any advice I'll give you all mah laaaav :love: Seriously though, I'm so torn :frown:

I'm probably biased but I'd say Sheffield was definitely worth considering. It's recently been voted the best university in the UK and the accommodation and student union are consistently voted best. However, it's really got to be a personal choice. They're equally respected in academic terms. Have you visited both of them?
Accepted Newcastle as firm and chosen York st John as insurance, just need them grades now!!

Quick Reply

Latest