The Student Room Group

Performing Arts/Drama/Acting/etc Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Has anyone had recall invites from Bristol Old Vic? Had the first round yesterday but i know the first round auditions started in November so they must have had some recalls by now?

Anyone know the recall process?
Original post by slim_j
Has anyone had recall invites from Bristol Old Vic? Had the first round yesterday but i know the first round auditions started in November so they must have had some recalls by now?

Anyone know the recall process?

One girl at my drama centre audition I think said she was on the shortlist for BOV..and that was like a month ago..They have definately started recalls already though..but im not entirely sure if she said shortlist or recall cant remeber :confused:

I applied to BOV last month still waiting for a date for first round
Reply 202
Original post by holly6946
April 14th? Are you from the great East Midlands too then?xxxxx

Yup, from south Leicestershire, so it's just an easy bus journey to the audition. I'm auditioning the same day as you, too, so do give a wave if you see me! :biggrin:
Reply 203
Original post by YazB7
Can somebody please help me with the required alevels for a drama and/or acting degree. I do chemistry, biology, psychology and sociology. I've completely changed my mind on dentistry and I'd rather peruse what I've done from a very young age. I've done all my LAMDA exams up to my Bronze, and I'm taking my silver in the summer and my gold in the winter. I have lots of outside of school experience in drama and acting such as television and short film work. I was just wondering whether they would accept experience over a drama/performing arts alevel. Planning on dropping chemistry. I'm in year 12 btw x

I originally wanted to do either law or a science, so I took Chemistry, Biology, French and History - but I changed my mind too, and now I've accepted an offer to do Joint Honours Drama with Classical Civilisations and Literature at Birmingham, and I also got an offer to do the same at RHUL (Royal Holloway) which has a really good reputation for drama :smile: RHUL prefer that you have drama or theatre studies to A2, particularly for single honours, but Birmingham don't ask for it. I can imagine all your experience would probably swing it in your favour, as it shows an interest, and the LAMDA exams show ability :smile: Also, have you thought about doing a straight acting course? Because they tend to put more emphasis on experience than what A-levels you have :smile: although they're less flexible later, if you're not going to go professional...

sorry for the essay! hope it's helped though :smile:
Anyone in Guildhall on 23d of March for BA Acting?
Heey, I'm still at school and applying to drama school for this year,
I've had recalls at RADA and Drama Centre but have been offered to try again for the foundation course for drama centre.

I'm also auditioning for;
Guildhall
Oxford
LAMDA
BOV
Mountview
Central
Rose Bruford
RWCMD

Just wondering, has anyone auditioned for GSA (guildford) BA Acting? just wondering what the audition is like?
also has anyone auditioned for or been on the drama centre foundation course?
Thankss
Hi Folks,
Rose Bruford first audtion this week.

1. This may sound like a silly question, but having done 4 panto tours where you play to the audience, when doing the monologues at audition, should I play to an imaginary other actor, or to the auditioners, or to the room?

2. Also, have been advised by ex student that doing a panto scene would be a mistake as they look down noses at panto - agree or disagree folks?

Since I am a 'mature' student, I don't have anyone to bounce off - hopefully this forum can help!

Thanks,
Gordon
Reply 207
If the speech is to character on stage then yes, imagine them there. If not then to the audience, but most will ask you not to look at them.

Some may look down on panto scenes, some might not, you not to know until you meet the panel really... I would say you would be safer to do something that is not from a panto though.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 208
Has anyone auditioned for musical theatre at Arts Ed? I'm really tempted to but it mentions a jazz workshop...I know obviously there'll be dance on the course and I can dance to an extent. I just wondered how intense it was...On the FAQ's it says that they can spot potential so even if people can't dance they should apply...Or maybe this is just so they get their money? Who knows aha...
Original post by Iconcur
If the speech is to character on stage then yes, imagine them there. If not then to the audience, but most will ask you not to look at them.

Some may look down on panto scenes, some might not, you not to know until you meet the panel really... I would say you would be safer to do something that is not from a panto though.

Best of luck :smile:

Thanks, very helpful. I decided a while ago to use my classical piece as my full 90 second monologue, keeping the panto scene for the second shorter one. It's only the last couple of days I decided against. I just don't think 45 seconds is enough, because all that would be is asking which side of the room can shout louder!

Yes, that would show audience interaction but not a lot else - have decided to go with Henry Higgins from Pygmalion instead. Fingers crossed!
Gordon
Original post by the great gordino
Hi Folks,
Rose Bruford first audtion this week.

1. This may sound like a silly question, but having done 4 panto tours where you play to the audience, when doing the monologues at audition, should I play to an imaginary other actor, or to the auditioners, or to the room?

2. Also, have been advised by ex student that doing a panto scene would be a
mistake as they look down noses at panto - agree or disagree folks?

Since I am a 'mature' student, I don't have anyone to bounce off - hopefully this forum can help!

Thanks,
Gordon

There was an ex student in the room when I auditioned at Rose B last week,
I used him in my monologue, they said you can use one of them as the character you are talking to :smile:

Good Luck!

Got a recall there,going back April 4th.
Reply 211
Is anyone having an interview on 29 Feb for Theatre & Performance course at Leeds University?? :smile:
Original post by Thugnificent.
There was an ex student in the room when I auditioned at Rose B last week,
I used him in my monologue, they said you can use one of them as the character you are talking to :smile:

Good Luck!

Got a recall there,going back April 4th.

Excellent, thanks! I had got myself ready to talk to the imaginary character, but having someone there will help.

Well done, and good luck on the recaLL!
Had first audition at Rose Bruford today - interesting!

He asked me what my 2 pieces were, then told me he was going to choose which one he wanted, and that he wanted me to do it twice - once as I had prepared, and then he would ask me to do it differently.

So, that's what I did!

Also had little chats with us all before our speeches which is relaxing (although it does pose a challenge to then stand up and get bang into character!)

Wait and see time now...!
Gordon
Reply 214
Is there anyone else at RADA next Monday?
Original post by aliciaedwards
Heey, I'm still at school and applying to drama school for this year,
I've had recalls at RADA and Drama Centre but have been offered to try again for the foundation course for drama centre.

I'm also auditioning for;
Guildhall
Oxford
LAMDA
BOV
Mountview
Central
Rose Bruford
RWCMD

Just wondering, has anyone auditioned for GSA (guildford) BA Acting? just wondering what the audition is like?
also has anyone auditioned for or been on the drama centre foundation course?
Thankss

Hello I'm still at school as well, have my first audition tomorrow at the Old Vic and the RADA next week, followed by LAMDA, Drama Centre and then Oxford. I have my monologues prepared but I'm wondering what advice can you give my on the RADA audition and what monologues did you perform? Well done to getting through to the recall, but general tips on what to wear and what to expect would help, thank you. Best wishes
Hello I'm still at school as well, have my first audition tomorrow at the Old Vic and the RADA next week, followed by LAMDA, Drama Centre and then Oxford. I have my monologues prepared but I'm wondering what advice can you give my on the auditions and what to expect from the different schools at the audition. Tips and advice from anyone whose auditioned at any of the schools I've mentioned and what wear and any last minute advice for Bristol tomorrow. Thank you. All the best to everyone, Terri
Hi Everyone!
I'm new at the student room and will have a first go at drama school auditions this year. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is common for LAMDA's rejection letter to say they consider you for their 4 week Shakespeare workshop?
Thanks! And good luck everyone with auditioning this year! :smile:
I am going to uni to do a drama/theatre and performance course, and am stuck between exteter and leeds, are there any students already doing these courses that could give me a realistic and truthful insight into the course and leeds or exeter as a place and uni? :smile:
Original post by rprice500
Has anyone auditioned for musical theatre at Arts Ed? I'm really tempted to but it mentions a jazz workshop...I know obviously there'll be dance on the course and I can dance to an extent. I just wondered how intense it was...On the FAQ's it says that they can spot potential so even if people can't dance they should apply...Or maybe this is just so they get their money? Who knows aha...

Hi there, sorry if this is too late for you.
I auditioned at Artsed last year, didn't get in, currently on a foundation course at Performers College (it's a vocational college for musical theatre, more heavily towards dance). The jazz audition for artsed is pretty intense, it's a proper dance audition. Kicks, leap, pirouettes from the corner and usually a very fast routine. If you have an amazing voice and aren't a great dancer you'll probably still get considered, but if not, you probably won't (sorry to be brutal it is just SO hard to get in). Friend of mine was at her audition the other day, out of 60 girls, 3 got through to the second round, she was one of them but only got on the reserve list.
Hope this helped!

Quick Reply