The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonie9995
Hey, this isn't strictly an admissions question, I just can't really find an appropriate thread for it.
If you had to choose between Birmingham and Sheffield, where would you go and why?
Thanks!

It depends on the style of teaching which you prefer!
I.e. Sheffield being PBL and Birmingham being far less PBL and towards integrated learning.
Both are great student cities but personally I would probably go for b'ham..the bull ring sells krispy kremes.. :colondollar: :tongue:

well done on your oxford offer by the way :biggrin:
Reply 7141
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
I.e. Sheffield being PBL and Birmingham being far less PBL and towards integrated learning.
Both are great student cities but personally I would probably go for b'ham..the bull ring sells krispy kremes.. :colondollar: :tongue:

:noway: Sheffield isn't PBL.
Original post by Vulpes
:noway: Sheffield isn't PBL.

:eek: really!? :eek:

my world image is falling apart!
what sort of teaching do you have?
Reply 7143
:eek: really!? :eek:

my world image is falling apart!
what sort of teaching do you have?

Integrated learning. We have a mini PBL-like session once every 2 weeks but the rest are lectures + a few tutorials.
Reply 7144
Hey everyone :smile:
I am a year 12 student applying for medicine this year and so I wanted to know what medical schools place GCSE results on a high means of deciding whether they get an interview/offer or not? I got 14 A*s but I'm really scared of messing up my ukcat or bmat lol cause they are hard! What medical schools would like me? I was currently thinking of applying to Oxford, Birmingham, Imperial and either Barts or Kings. Help please :smile:
Medical schools don't 'adore' GCSE results. They look for well rounded individuals who are mature and interested in the course.
Oxford, Birmingham and Cardiff
Reply 7147
Kings
Birmingham
Oxford
Edinburgh - but they like lots of ECs as well
Oxford, birmingham, Cardiff, bath, kings. (course you need great AS grades too)
Reply 7151
Oxford, Birmingham, King's, cardiff, Liverpool
But they also look for a well-rounded app. So, GCSE's aren't everything, the PS and/or admission test scores must also be good.
GOOD LUCK :biggrin:
Original post by apple17
Oxford, Birmingham, King's, cardiff, Liverpool
But they also look for a well-rounded app. So, GCSE's aren't everything, the PS and/or admission test scores must also be good.
GOOD LUCK :biggrin:

What you're really asking is if awesome GCSE results outweigh a rubbish BMAT score. I'm afraid they don't. GCSEs don't prove much compared to an actual BMAT, as that tests your aptitude for medicine. Just stick to revising for the BMAT, you know, past paers and the like.
Reply 7153
Original post by American Vampire
What you're really asking is if awesome GCSE results outweigh a rubbish BMAT score. I'm afraid they don't. GCSEs don't prove much compared to an actual BMAT, as that tests your aptitude for medicine. Just stick to revising for the BMAT, you know, past paers and the like.

Uhm, think you quoted the wrong user, I have already applied in this admission cycle and didn't even do GCSEs.
Original post by apple17
Uhm, think you quoted the wrong user, I have already applied in this admission cycle and didn't even do GCSEs.

Just quoted the most recent comment as I assumed it would be relevant for the point I was making. Sorry for any confusion caused.:biggrin:

Sheffield is integrated too! This is why its so hard! They're so similar. I think I like the city better at Birmingham though...
Thanks! I'm still stunned they gave me an offer lol

:confused: Sheffield isn't PBL! We have one hour PBL-style learning every two weeks, but the rest is lecture- and practical-based...
Original post by moonie9995
Sheffield is integrated too! This is why its so hard! They're so similar. I think I like the city better at Birmingham though...
Thanks! I'm still stunned they gave me an offer lol

i'm guessing your deciding for your insurance then?

just go for the city you like best! obviously both curriculum's look excellent :biggrin:
Original post by *pitseleh*
:confused: Sheffield isn't PBL! We have one hour PBL-style learning every two weeks, but the rest is lecture- and practical-based...

oh,I always assumed Sheffield was PBL..my bad! :confused:
oh,I always assumed Sheffield was PBL..my bad! :confused:

'Tis okay, just wanted to clear up any confusion. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending