The Student Room Group

Medicine Rejections Discussion Thread 2012 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
Yea I am! I really enjoy reading your blog. :smile:
Don't be so pessimistic, you still have 3 choices to go yet!

You should know from my blog, that I tend to err on the side of pessimism! :tongue:

Nah, I'm trying to stay optimistic and positive - tis the only way to handle it I suppose.
Original post by Cityshy
Completely agree with you, this is my second application cycle, first time round got 4 straight rejections, this time round got 3 rejections (haven't heard from the 4th yet but am expecting nothing good), so bring on third year of applying....with every year my application improves, I get more work experience, more academic qualifications, more life experience.

But the truth is being a young graduate actually makes things harder when the degree isn't scientific, you're judged more harshly...I almost wish I hadn't done a degree though I should be proud to be a 2:1 grad who worked throughout. Kinda sucks =(

Good luck with your choices well done on all the interviews!

yeah, this time round i really looked into the unis more and applied strategically. i studied realy hard for the ukcat and got a high score, so i applied to unis that use a high ukcat cutoff, and i also looked at ones that dont use your AS grade because mine was low (but i guess being an applicant that doesnt apply to you!).
yeah i got loads more work experience and voluntary work at hospitals and ive really matured as a person and got loads more confident - that really helped when it came to interviews, but was also good to put in my PS. I also worked really hard on my PS and got loads of people to look at it (medical and non medical) and looked at what was pointed out most often andother suggestions that i liked, and developed it accordingly. for anyone reapplying i would recommend compeltely restarting your PS from stratch. its not an appealing idea, but (depending on when your got rejections) it wasnt good enough, so whats the point in using it again? i started off by typing down random stuff in no order, just paragraphs about the things that need to go in the PS like work exp etc, but just typing down exactly what i thought without thinking about making it sound good or anything. i ended up with it being about 4/5 pages long lol...but then its so much easier to look at and cut it etc. i would start fairly early as it takes a while to do (and i got soooo fed up with it lol)
also for reapplicants make sure you do something constructive with your year out...not necessarily medical (although gaining more exp is recommended), but make sure you put a bit about it in your PS and what you hope to do etc. even like working to save up money for travelling or uni.

but yeah, well done for persevering. like you said, each year your application is stronger and stronger so you have better chances of getting in. i dont want to sound patronising or whatever (because im sure you know this) but honestly its your PS which is the main deciding factor as to whether you get an interview or not...so that's what you need really to focus on. then if you do get an interview practice LOADS! lol

fingers crossed for that last place, and good luck for the future!

(i really seem to be incapable of writing anything other than essays atm...sorry :colondollar:)
If its your dream then keep at it - one of my close friends applied to medicine originally but didn't get in. She did a degree in biomedicine and applied a number of times whilst studying it...still didn't get in. It wasn't until she'd worked for a year as a medical receptionist after that she finally got a place! It may take some time but keep trying.
Reply 263
Have you contacted the universities to see why you were rejected?
This information may prove very helpful in this decision.
Original post by dontreply
If I was to reapply again to a different course it wouldn't be bioscience, but I just don't know if universities will look at me if I've taken two gap years.

If you've decided that you don't want to do Medicine this year, and you've got the grades, I don't see why you still can't apply? I know it's extremely late, but if you call up some universities, I'm sure they might still consider you. Tell them about your situation.

As for doing another year, I suppose you can only be hopeful. But, you don't really want to waste another year unless it's something worth wasting. Is Medicine, for you, worth wasting perhaps another few years?
Original post by MediterraneanX
If its your dream then keep at it - one of my close friends applied to medicine originally but didn't get in. She did a degree in biomedicine and applied a number of times whilst studying it...still didn't get in. It wasn't until she'd worked for a year as a medical receptionist after that she finally got a place! It may take some time but keep trying.

She didn't get offers because she was studying a degree.
Reply 266
If you really want to do medicine, then you really should consider reapplying a third time. I tried 3 times before I got my place! If you managed to get 4 interviews this year then your application must be really strong, you just need to work on your interview skills. Maybe you could ask any doctors/medical students you know to organise practice interviews for you? I did this, and found their advice afterwards really helpful. Don't give up hope!
Original post by ruby321
there aren't enough jobs as a bio medical scientist.
:shock: There aren't? There go my career hopes.
You are in a tough position and I think it is sensible that you are thinking about other career options. After all, you raise the point of how many gap years do you actually want to take? Although it is easy for me to sit here and say it (and how it definitely doesn't seem this way on TSR) but medicine is not the be all and end all of careers. There are plenty of other interesting and fruitful careers out there which I am sure you would be perfectly happy in should you pursue them.

Looking at your application, receiving four interviews but no offers brings up two points: 1.) That your paper application (grades, PS, reference) are excellent but 2.) there are serious flaws at your performance at interview. No-one including myself on the internet is going to be able to help you in this respect, as no-one on here knows what you are like in person. It may be how you come across, it may be your confidence, ability to hold a conversation, knowledge about the topic, ability to think on your feet...who knows.

Unfortunately only you know what you are capable of doing, be that taking another gap year and reapplying or pursuing something else. Either way, good luck in whatever you choose to do :smile:
Reply 269
Original post by The Illuminati
:shock: There aren't? There go my career hopes.

That's what I've been told... for subjects like Biomedical science the supply doesn't meet demand, a lot more biomedical scientists are taught that what is needed. I've have stories about people volunteering for 2 years as a biomedical scientist and still not getting a job! Seems to me you're quite lucky if you secure a place actually working as a biomedical scientist, the rest either apply graduate med/dent or do a masters to get into research! But thats where I live and what I've heard though, someone feel free to add to this lol
Original post by ruby321
That's what I've been told... for subjects like Biomedical science the supply doesn't meet demand, a lot more biomedical scientists are taught that what is needed. I've have stories about people volunteering for 2 years as a biomedical scientist and still not getting a job! Seems to me you're quite lucky if you secure a place actually working as a biomedical scientist, the rest either apply graduate med/dent or do a masters to get into research! But thats where I live and what I've heard though, someone feel free to add to this lol

Phew! I thought you meant that there aren't any jobs in research which is what I want to do.
Original post by hassi94
Please use proper English and stop it with the '..............' after each phrase it's really irritating. Otherwise you had some fair advice.

@OP I think you should contact some universities; ask them how they consider medicine applicants with 2 gap years, same with any other course you're interested in. We can't tell you if they'll be okay with it - some will and some won't. You may as well email them so you have a better idea of what to do :smile: Really do wish you good luck!

Hey guys, sorry about the poor English, I got a little carried away. I did not know everything had to be formal and I'm new to the student room so I did not know about the " don't use text speak on The Student Room " rule. I was just trying to help and give out a little advice.
Original post by TheNightmare
Hey guys, sorry about the poor English, I got a little carried away. I did not know everything had to be formal and I'm new to the student room so I did not know about the " don't use text speak on The Student Room " rule. I was just trying to help and give out a little advice.

It's alright don't worry about it, I didn't have a go :smile:

EDIT: Though I've seen now that you neg repped me. I said you had good advice and just asked you to type properly - not particularly harshly either. I won't neg you back but next time don't pretend like you were being mature and adult and then go and neg me -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hassi94
It's alright don't worry about it, I didn't have a go :smile:

EDIT: Though I've seen now that you neg repped me. I said you had good advice and just asked you to type properly - not particularly harshly either. I won't neg you back but next time don't pretend like you were being mature and adult and then go and neg me -.-

S'alright, I'll neg for you.
Reply 274
I was going to apply for medicine because all i ever wanted to do in life was to be a doctor but my AS grades weren't too good and i knew i was going to get rejected if i applied but i looked into other degrees and found one i really liked - Pharmacy - I know i'm in a completely different position to you but what I'm trying to say is that there are other degrees that can lead you to a similar job which you may love and there are even other ways to get into medicine someone i know did one year of pharmacy then transferred onto the 5 year medical course ( I don't exactly know how but it is an option.) Hope that helps in any way.
Original post by cherri3
I was going to apply for medicine because all i ever wanted to do in life was to be a doctor but my AS grades weren't too good and i knew i was going to get rejected if i applied but i looked into other degrees and found one i really liked - Pharmacy - I know i'm in a completely different position to you but what I'm trying to say is that there are other degrees that can lead you to a similar job which you may love and there are even other ways to get into medicine someone i know did one year of pharmacy then transferred onto the 5 year medical course ( I don't exactly know how but it is an option.) Hope that helps in any way.

Good job! How refreshing to hear such a story on TSR Medicine :smile: Glad it all worked out for you.
Reply 276
Original post by POWCATTY
yfingers crossed for that last place, and good luck for the future!

(i really seem to be incapable of writing anything other than essays atm...sorry :colondollar:)

Thanks! And I like essays...so long as they don't have deadlines haha =)

Completely agree, rejection doesn't mean an applicant isn't suitable for medicine, it doesn't even mean they haven't met the entry criteria......it's just that you're expected to exceed it and stand out from the zillions of other people who meet the criteria too.

For example a couple of years ago a friend of mine got offers from UCL and other highly competitive unis but was rejected without even an interview from Leeds, despite meeting the criteria, good PS etc....sometimes it can seem quite random, there's no exact checklist that will get you in somewhere, it's down to chance almost as much as it is academics, PS, work exp....very hard for the unis to choose between candidates who all meet/exceed the criteria.

Best of luck x
Reply 277
Original post by digitalis
You are in a tough position and I think it is sensible that you are thinking about other career options. After all, you raise the point of how many gap years do you actually want to take? Although it is easy for me to sit here and say it (and how it definitely doesn't seem this way on TSR) but medicine is not the be all and end all of careers. There are plenty of other interesting and fruitful careers out there which I am sure you would be perfectly happy in should you pursue them.

Looking at your application, receiving four interviews but no offers brings up two points: 1.) That your paper application (grades, PS, reference) are excellent but 2.) there are serious flaws at your performance at interview. No-one including myself on the internet is going to be able to help you in this respect, as no-one on here knows what you are like in person. It may be how you come across, it may be your confidence, ability to hold a conversation, knowledge about the topic, ability to think on your feet...who knows.

Unfortunately only you know what you are capable of doing, be that taking another gap year and reapplying or pursuing something else. Either way, good luck in whatever you choose to do :smile:

This is really good advice.

I know there are a lot of people on here who will say 'if medicine is your dream, don't apply for anything else, don't give up' but tbh, I don't agree at all. There's also the classic 'if you REALLY wanted to do medicine you would...'. Don't listen. Yes medicine might be your dream, but there is a point where you have to say that it isn't going to happen and you have to do something else. For me, that would have been after applying for the second time. If I hadn't have been offered a place this year, I would have done my fifth choice. I felt I'd done everything I could to strengthen my application, and I just got lucky this year. Unfortunately, you didn't, and that fine. You just need to consider if you did do everything you could, or if you could improve. Find out from your universities why you were rejected - ie. what element of your interview performance was really lacking, and then think about what you want to do.

Personally, if you really don't want to do your fifth option, I'd take another year out, this time to really decide what it is that you want to do instead. I also had the possibility of taking a second year out to get some work experience in other areas, like nursing, speech and language therapy and perhaps scientific research to help me make an informed decision about what to do. I knew that while medicine was still an possibility, I couldn't consider anything else. So it would be best for me to take my time to research other careers seriously afterwards.

DOn't lose heart - it isn't a great position to be in, but it isn't the end of the world. If you keep an open mind, you can still have a fulfilling career and enjoy your job maybe even more than medicine. Good luck!
Original post by hassi94
next time don't pretend like you were being mature and adult and then go and neg me -.-

Maybe it's a little less mature to actually care if someone neg reps you.

The reputation system is fairy irrelevant - people will neg rep you for just disagreeing with them.
Original post by theatrical
Maybe it's a little less mature to actually care if someone neg reps you.

The reputation system is fairy irrelevant - people will neg rep you for just disagreeing with them.

Well I don't care that much about the new rep itself, that's obvious (he's got red gems anyway). It's just he acted like he had no real disagreement with what I said then clicked what is basically a 'disagree' button.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending