This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by warp2125
Hey, hows everyone doing today?...

Ok thanks, how are you? :smile:

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Somebody come over and whip me until I work? Today just isn't happening and my ladywife is whisking me away next Saturday for a week so I'll be even further behind :emo:

:whip: Do your work or there will be no holiday.
:tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
Hope things improve soon. :hugs:
Hopefully you'll be OK, when are you back at uni?
I was on my own, yeah.
It's so strict! Don't know why, it's just an average state school. :tongue:

Spoiler

Today is definitely a crying day, I keep tearing up. Been crying this morning and I need to be ready for half 12 for my step dad's mum's birthday meal and I haven't even had a shower yet. Not at my most productive but hey ho!

Came back yesterday evening, left the tablets at my family home. Have picked up the new perscription now, should be ok, at least I had a half-dose yesterday.

:console: Hope your day has picked up and the meal went alright. :hugs:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2862
its just so tiring, knowing that most of the time we only talk because i initiate the conversations. i see them posting photos of parties and sleepovers and get togethers and i think to myself, do they even consider me as a friend? am i just fooling myself that we're friends? if we were friends, they'd invite me to things, include me in conversations. everybody is going on some form of girls or lads holidays this summer, but im not, because i dont have anyone to go with :sigh:

It's like you're in my mind, because I felt and still feel the exact same way. It is draining and demotivating. Sometimes my friends at school in sixth form would go out drinking and never bothered to invite me, but maybe they thought I wasn't that kind of person. Still, when the people I've known for half my life don't even remember my birthday when I know theirs off by heart (and I share my birthday with one of my friend's sister), it gets really frustrating and tedious. This might sound malicious and wrong, but sometimes I think that people form cliques far too easily because they themselves are worried about being left alone, they don't seem to realise or care that they're alienating others. It's like a safe base for them.

Have you tried getting to know different people? You sound like a really great person, maybe those people who are making you feel this way either don't know they're doing it, or just aren't worth knowing. :console:
Original post by motzand
It's like you're in my mind, because I felt and still feel the exact same way. It is draining and demotivating. Sometimes my friends at school in sixth form would go out drinking and never bothered to invite me, but maybe they thought I wasn't that kind of person. Still, when the people I've known for half my life don't even remember my birthday when I know theirs off by heart (and I share my birthday with one of my friend's sister), it gets really frustrating and tedious. This might sound malicious and wrong, but sometimes I think that people form cliques far too easily because they themselves are worried about being left alone, they don't seem to realise or care that they're alienating others. It's like a safe base for them.

Have you tried getting to know different people? You sound like a really great person, maybe those people who are making you feel this way either don't know they're doing it, or just aren't worth knowing. :console:

cause im at a relatively small sixth form, there's like, no other people - because of the kind of subjects i do, i typically have the same people in each class because theyre all related to each other. i feel like they only remember my birthday because fb reminds them, and i only ever get invited to parties if i happen to be sitting there when they are planning them. when i come and sit with them they just carry on their conversations like im not there.

its started to get so tiring and annoying that i prefer to be alone. i make plans for myself on the weekends to do stuff alone, or with one close friend i kept from secondary school :frown:
:woo:

Well done.

Had a fairly good weekend myself.
Reply 2865
Yay :smile:

How are you in general?

No sleep for me last night so I'm staring at the screen like a zombie. Other than that, not too much of a bad day for me. I even ate food. yes.
Reply 2866
I'm considering intercalation pretty seriously at the moment. I can't concentrate or motivate myself to work, and even if I pass the year I'll have missed out on loads of learning that will make next year more difficult.

It'll be hard being back home, the main obstacle being that my parents will have to find out that I started smoking again because last time I tried to quit when I was still ill it made things so much harder.

I think the biggest problem is that if I intercalate now, I'm fairly sure they won't let me do it again for the course of my degree, and it's pretty unlikely that I'll go 3 years without getting ill again, given that the stress of this year has probably been a big factor in me getting ill and 2nd and 3rd years are far more stressful than 1st.
If I'd just stuck to my timetable of working and getting essays done I'd have been fine, but I procrastinate like ****.

I wonder if there's some form of counselling that could help me stop doing that. I need to stop running away from things and face them. It's not like I chose going out and getting drunk or doing drugs instead of working, I chose sitting indoors on my laptop wasting time.

I'm not even sure if I'm running away now or not. I know that I'm ill now, but I'm not sure how much of this is 'ill' and how much is me being lazy and turning my back. That's further complicated by the fact that when I get depressed I beat myself up for being 'lazy', when I am just depressed.

Spoiler

If I go back home I can at least prepare for the modules I'd be re-sitting/ taking fresh next year, so that I can minimise my workload for then, and I can see if my uncle will give me some shifts in his pub or something. When the weather gets nicer I can walk into town and read outside somewhere.

Urgh, so much indecision. I think I'll talk to someone at uni tomorrow, and speak to another couple of people later in the week. I'll keep a diary of sorts on my thoughts on intercalation each day then reassess it next weekend. There'd be loads of stuff to sort out like student finance (how the hell do I do that?) and my accommodation for next year. Plus getting back onto my old CMHT's books and having them continue some quite intensive care for me for a while.

I'm still having some very bad days at the moment and I don't want to scare my parents with it. Plus then there will be explaining to the rest of my family, especially my nan, who constantly asks whether I'm happy as it is, and has dementia to complicate things.

Lots of thinking to be done I suppose.
If I do intercalate, I want to see about changing my course to just History rather than History and Politics. I like the politics modules but a couple of them require the sort of brain-stretching thinking that I'm barely capable of at the best of times now, thanks to the quetiapine.

Anyone have any advice after this hideously long post?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2867
cause im at a relatively small sixth form, there's like, no other people - because of the kind of subjects i do, i typically have the same people in each class because theyre all related to each other. i feel like they only remember my birthday because fb reminds them, and i only ever get invited to parties if i happen to be sitting there when they are planning them. when i come and sit with them they just carry on their conversations like im not there.

its started to get so tiring and annoying that i prefer to be alone. i make plans for myself on the weekends to do stuff alone, or with one close friend i kept from secondary school :frown:

That's one thing I don't like about fb, a couple of years ago I disabled the notifications thingy that tells people when it's my birthday to find out how many people would remember, but that was a really stupid thing to do because no one remembered and I ended up breaking down :s-smilie:

You could try waiting out sixth form, but I know that can be hard. I preferred being alone too, particularly during my last year of sixth form, sometimes it helps when you get fed up with how others treat you, but it can get lonely, and it's easy to get into the habit of keeping to yourself.

It's a really good thing you have one close friend and you're still active during the weekends :h: (it's much better than letting them get you down so much that it starts to seriously affect you).
Original post by motzand
That's one thing I don't like about fb, a couple of years ago I disabled the notifications thingy that tells people when it's my birthday to find out how many people would remember, but that was a really stupid thing to do because no one remembered and I ended up breaking down :s-smilie:

You could try waiting out sixth form, but I know that can be hard. I preferred being alone too, particularly during my last year of sixth form, sometimes it helps when you get fed up with how others treat you, but it can get lonely, and it's easy to get into the habit of keeping to yourself.

It's a really good thing you have one close friend and you're still active during the weekends :h: (it's much better than letting them get you down so much that it starts to seriously affect you).

the thing i worry about though is that me and my friend are planning on going to the same uni, and living together. i dont want to end up in the same situation, in uni, because the course i'll be studying is 6 years long, and i dont think i could take this for another six years :sigh:

this half term i havent done anything, and i havent gone out to meet anybody. i just stayed at home feeling lonely and miserable :frown:
Reply 2869
the thing i worry about though is that me and my friend are planning on going to the same uni, and living together. i dont want to end up in the same situation, in uni, because the course i'll be studying is 6 years long, and i dont think i could take this for another six years :sigh:

this half term i havent done anything, and i havent gone out to meet anybody. i just stayed at home feeling lonely and miserable :frown:

:console: Try not to worry about ending up in the same situation (again, that's easy to say). You sound like an outgoing person, so it might be easy getting to know people (I'm far too introverted and shy), especially when there's a wealth of people in uni too, and it makes such a huge difference compared to a small cliquey sixth form.

I really do hope you feel better about this soon, I know how awful it is when you feel like you have virtually nobody, especially during what I think is a pretty stressful time in life.
:cry:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
I'm at a dilemma. There's a competition coming up called Dare to be Digital, which is an incredible opportunity for games developers ( my career choice ) to get their names out. This involves a team of people making a game that competes with others. However, I'm struggling to get the courage to put my name down, as I know some of the competition personally who are more talented than I can ever hope to be, so i dont think im going to get anywhere, plus im sure that id end up dragging my team down and failing them. Even if i did force myself to enter, if i did do badly or failed my team im not sure i could forgive myself. Can anyone give me any advice?
Original post by motzand
:console: Try not to worry about ending up in the same situation (again, that's easy to say). You sound like an outgoing person, so it might be easy getting to know people (I'm far too introverted and shy), especially when there's a wealth of people in uni too, and it makes such a huge difference compared to a small cliquey sixth form.

I really do hope you feel better about this soon, I know how awful it is when you feel like you have virtually nobody, especially during what I think is a pretty stressful time in life.

im not much of an extrovert, i tend only to open up and have a laugh once i get to know people, i envy the kind of people who can just randomly start conversations with strangers, i go all red and mumbly :redface:

ahhh only a term or so left of sixth form, i can make it through this :smile:

Came back yesterday evening, left the tablets at my family home. Have picked up the new perscription now, should be ok, at least I had a half-dose yesterday.

:console: Hope your day has picked up and the meal went alright. :hugs:

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, hopefully it wont be much of a problem.

It wasn't too bad, so glad to be home though.
Reply 2874
im not much of an extrovert, i tend only to open up and have a laugh once i get to know people, i envy the kind of people who can just randomly start conversations with strangers, i go all red and mumbly :redface:

ahhh only a term or so left of sixth form, i can make it through this :smile:

That's the spirit :biggrin:
Original post by carasezmoo
does it help?

For me, not really. It keeps you from harming yourself, sure, but it doesn't do anything else.
you've basically just described how i've been feeling the past few weeks. i over-analyse and over react so dramatically to things its become ridiculous, and my anxiety ocassionally gets so great that i burst into tears for no good reason and spontaneously feel smothered and an urgent need to get out of where i am and be all alone for a while.

Everything is normal and you're functioning adequately isn't it - but your mind feels in 2 parts. The rut like feeling. Really, there is no rut and you're perfectly fine. And then you take life SO seriously.

I don;t know how to appreciate life and make use of what I have got, unless I unblock my mind and get out of this stupid rut. The double effect feeling needs to go first, in order for me to branch WAY out of my comfort zone.

Confidence is also key.

I say all this

and it's just a load of yarn, it's all overthought, why is everything overthought naturally?

I can't order and organise my brain because it's become so lazy, it's gone into a viscious cycle and now everything I do will be stupid but, is it cos im reluctant to change?

Overthinking mode is bad. I don't want to be aware of anything I do! Overthinking mode is so annoying and it's hard to just get on with things as how they are and to see things as how they are.

Relaxation doesn't help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by novaspire
I'm at a dilemma. There's a competition coming up called Dare to be Digital, which is an incredible opportunity for games developers ( my career choice ) to get their names out. This involves a team of people making a game that competes with others. However, I'm struggling to get the courage to put my name down, as I know some of the competition personally who are more talented than I can ever hope to be, so i dont think im going to get anywhere, plus im sure that id end up dragging my team down and failing them. Even if i did force myself to enter, if i did do badly or failed my team im not sure i could forgive myself. Can anyone give me any advice?

if you want to become a games developer and this is a good opportunity to advance that role, who gives a **** if you arent the best or most talented games developer in the world? it'll be a valuable learning experience and you won't learn anything or get even the vaguest of chances to take advantage of it if you don't even put your name down. as for dragging other people down etc, i don't mean to be blunt but do you want this as your job or not? do you think the other people involved are worried about helping you out (they're not, they're in it for the opportunities it gives *them*). if you are using that excuse now what's going to happen when you have to work with people *in your job* and you are always so scared of failing that you never even attempt to do anything useful? put your name down and you might surprise yourself. no one ever got anywhere by never ever screwing up ever and always coming first in everything. the bottom line is this is what you want to do and this is an opportunity to go out and do it. nothing else matters.
Original post by FuzzySheep
:cry:

Spoiler

Talk to him. Just sit with him and watch **** TV and talk about crap. Seriously, just keep him company and ask him to talk, tell him there is hope and you are there to help him through this. Say you think it might be a good idea for him to talk to someone who can understand and advise better, give him the samaritans number. If he's still feeling bad tell him to go to A&E and go with him. Just show him that you are there for him. Do whatever it is that would help you in that situation.
Original post by littleshambles
if you want to become a games developer and this is a good opportunity to advance that role, who gives a **** if you arent the best or most talented games developer in the world? it'll be a valuable learning experience and you won't learn anything or get even the vaguest of chances to take advantage of it if you don't even put your name down. as for dragging other people down etc, i don't mean to be blunt but do you want this as your job or not? do you think the other people involved are worried about helping you out (they're not, they're in it for the opportunities it gives *them*). if you are using that excuse now what's going to happen when you have to work with people *in your job* and you are always so scared of failing that you never even attempt to do anything useful? put your name down and you might surprise yourself. no one ever got anywhere by never ever screwing up ever and always coming first in everything. the bottom line is this is what you want to do and this is an opportunity to go out and do it. nothing else matters.

I guess. Thanks for the kickstart. I just had another look over what i said and i cant believe im that cowardly. I need to work on that. It is what I want to do, im just slightly worried that i wont be good enough to do it. But yeah, doesnt matter if i dont try at least, i should grow up a bit :/

Latest