The Student Room Group

People with over 1,000 Facebook "friends"

Obviously it's not important and isn't really an accurate representation of either popularity or an outgoing personality, but seriously how do people reach these crazy levels? Do they simply add everyone they meet (or people who they've never met)? Do they travel a lot? In my experience, they tend to be very similar to each other (early twenties with rich daddies, hard drugs and too much Jack Wills). I don't even think I've met 1,000 people in my life. Any 1,000+ers here to shine some light on this mystery?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone I know who has that many met someone once at a party and decided to add them on FB, even if they never talk to them again.
Reply 2
Laziness in deleting friends, not rejecting requests, or just want to seem popular. Some people are just involved in facebook more than others too I guess.
Reply 3
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Anyone I know who has that many met someone once at a party and decided to add them on FB, even if they never talk to them again.

This. Also, some guys I know just add girls they've never met.
Well it's usually the girls that take pictures nearly half naked then someone likes a picture then they've got 1 million pervs friends

Then the guys just go to loads and loads of parties then get added by everyone and that gets them to like 1 million friends too.

It's pretty stupid really, you just think to yourself... "do you even know half of your friends list?"

It's like the number of friends you have dictates the size of your e penis...

It's not difficult to decline people :colonhash:
Reply 5
My sister is approaching 1400, and it will forever remain a mystery to me. :beard:

I'm only on 200 myself.
Original post by Suetonius
Obviously it's not important and isn't really an accurate representation of either popularity or an outgoing personality, but seriously how do people reach these crazy levels? Do they simply add everyone they meet (or people who they've never met)? Do they travel a lot? In my experience, they tend to be very similar to each other (early twenties with rich daddies, hard drugs and too much Jack Wills). I don't even think I've met 1,000 people in my life. Any 1,000+ers here to shine some light on this mystery?

Because they randomly add and/or have an acquittance to a lot of people.
I have 150 friends on Facebook, and I'm only really friends with under 15 of them.
Reply 7
Original post by Suetonius

I may be generalising here, but its always the kids that were popular at school, with 1000+ friends.

Spoiler

adding their friends, mutual friends, mutual friends - friends, not rejecting friend request, love the attention.. and so on :biggrin:
Original post by ak137
I may be generalising here, but its always the kids that were popular at school, with 1000+ friends.

Spoiler

it was always the slutty attention seekers, who craved the pervy comments on their photos :colonhash:
Reply 10
Original post by Obadetona
This. Also, some guys I know just add girls they've never met.

First rule of stalking. Add random people to Facebook,
From what I've seen, people generally amass a TON of 'friends' during secondary school, because they add their entire year, all their friends brothers and sisters, all their younger siblings friends, etc.

I reject them, but I often get friend's invites from my younger sister's (4 years) friends.. who I've probably seen at my house once/twice ever.
I have around 400 friends. But I've got friends who have around 1300 friends..I really don't have a clue how! They most definitely don't know half of them!
Reply 13
Heard Facebook is putting a new feature to block pervs randomly adding people. It's called "Why don't you take a seat"

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Architecture-er

I reject them, but I often get friend's invites from my younger sister's (4 years) friends.. who I've probably seen at my house once/twice ever.

Missed opportunities.
Reply 15
I love looking on people with 1000+ friends' walls and seeing comments between them and their new 'friend':

'Hey, um, sorry, but do I know you???'

'No, random add. Hope that's okay x'

'Um yeah, sure xD x'

Before I deleted my account I had only about 150 friends, and I can honestly say that I've never held a proper conversation with 80% of those people. I'm not very sociable, though :biggrin:
Reply 16
It's not hard. I could get 1000 friends by the end of the week if I wanted. Most people will accept your add however vaguely they know you and you meet hundreds of people at school and university and work and at parties etc. To illustrate I made up a completely fake facebook profile and added people who obviously wouldn't know me (because I don't exist) and I have like 500 friends now. The guys accept because they see a female and see an opportunity and the girls accept because they want to look popular with a huge friends list. i doubt 99% of people are good friends with more than 10 people on their friends list anyway.
Reply 17
Original post by ak137

I would have said it was the other way round. The more friends people have on facebook the less friends they have in real life.
Reply 18
I never really used BEBO, other than the time MSN broke and I wanted to know whether or not you could IM on it. You couldn't so I deleted it. I always presumed that the ones with 1k+ friends were the people that used BEBO.

I understand that this is not the case but I had friends that'd compete on how many they had added. I wont judge as I have 500+ added on facebook but i have my friends on max privacy so no one knows who I know.
> Go to club with a big group of friends.
> Mix group of friends with several other groups of friends.
> Big group photo shoot.
> Pictures gets uploaded onto Facebook, and the individuals are tagged.
> Individuals add other individuals in the pictures.
> Rinse and repeat.

I think that's how it works. A lot of my friends who have > 1,000 friends are really social, outwards 'party-animals'. Those with > 2,000 are Internet famous: popular blog, YouTube famous, or notorious musician on the Internet. Also works better with clubs like LGC (I think it's LGC, I can't quite remember the watermark), where they take the pictures and upload it onto their Facebook page.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest