The Student Room Group

English and Drama Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ek101
How long after your interview did you hear?

5 days after :smile:
I'm actually probably going to choose Sheffield, seems ungrateful for my Bristol offer but it's actually equally competitive and the course is much more what I want to do. I feel insanely lucky to have 5 offers to choose from though!
Original post by olivia_28
5 days after :smile:
I'm actually probably going to choose Sheffield, seems ungrateful for my Bristol offer but it's actually equally competitive and the course is much more what I want to do. I feel insanely lucky to have 5 offers to choose from though!

Congratulations! I would love to be in your place. Five days, or five working days? Sorry to ask but that's just insanely quick, they must've loved ya :wink:
I got an offer from Leeds :smile: I was surpirsed how quickly they replied. I think it's probably where I'll end up going unless I really like/get into Manchester when I go for my interview.

If I haven't heard at all from Wariwck by now, is it probably a rejection?
Reply 83
Anybody going to the interview/workshop day at Leeds on 24th Feb? xxxx
Reply 84
Original post by Joell3
. I didn't particularly enjoy the audition process at Leeds, improvisation under pressure in 5 minutes is not my thing. At UEA I really felt like I had a chance to show what I was capable of. The actual interview overran and the lady organising them came in and basically told him to get on with it haha :') we started from my personal statement and basically spent 10 minutes slagging off Twilight and discussing the conventions of Gothic literature in relation to Buffy the Vampire slayer! Then I really felt like it was easy for me to turn the conversation around to what I wanted to talk about rather than being asked all the usual pointless questions like 'why english and drama?' in which you're forced to just go on a massive speil about how much you LOVE the subject and the university your interviewing at :')

I don't agree at all about the interview/workshop difference for Leeds/Uea, though I prob jut had a different experience. But, if you can't put a one minute impro together in twenty minutes, that probably tells them a lot more about what you'd be like in a student group than how well you read Shakespeare on your own, which is all about acting skill, not group dynamic or imaginitive creation or critical analysis. So I totally got w.hat they were doing. Also, when I got that question about why drama & English in my interview, the guy told me he was grateful not to get the same old answer and the same old stuff about how great the course is, he seemed interested in which bits of the course I knew about, and my personal reasons. That was nice - but not sure the rest went so well.

Still, I've not applied or Uea, so can't compare. Just wondering now how long before I hear. They said there was another week of interviews, so could be a while.
Reply 85
Original post by tailfin
I don't agree at all about the interview/workshop difference for Leeds/Uea, though I prob jut had a different experience. But, if you can't put a one minute impro together in twenty minutes, that probably tells them a lot more about what you'd be like in a student group than how well you read Shakespeare on your own, which is all about acting skill, not group dynamic or imaginitive creation or critical analysis. So I totally got w.hat they were doing. Also, when I got that question about why drama & English in my interview, the guy told me he was grateful not to get the same old answer and the same old stuff about how great the course is, he seemed interested in which bits of the course I knew about, and my personal reasons. That was nice - but not sure the rest went so well.

Still, I've not applied or Uea, so can't compare. Just wondering now how long before I hear. They said there was another week of interviews, so could be a while.

We didn't have 20 minutes to put a one minute impro together? Aha, well I didn't anyway, we were never given more than about 5 minutes to plan anything and personally that's just not the way I work. Uea's interview questions felt much more tailored to the individual and I just prefered the whole feel of it.
Reply 86
Whose at Warwick on the 24th feb then? :smile: my last interview!
Reply 87
Any other offers for Eng Lit & Theatre Studies at Warwick? :smile:
Original post by WingardiumLeviosa
I got an offer from Leeds :smile: I was surpirsed how quickly they replied. I think it's probably where I'll end up going unless I really like/get into Manchester when I go for my interview.

If I haven't heard at all from Wariwck by now, is it probably a rejection?

Warwick are still doing interviews, so probably not. Although having said that, I'm worried that you have heard from Leeds and others have heard from Bristol, even though I got an email from both saying it wouldn't be until early March/April (respectively) until I heard.

The only thing worse than rejection is the fear of rejection!
Reply 89
Original post by gemnomnom
Warwick are still doing interviews, so probably not. Although having said that, I'm worried that you have heard from Leeds and others have heard from Bristol, even though I got an email from both saying it wouldn't be until early March/April (respectively) until I heard.

The only thing worse than rejection is the fear of rejection!

Unfortunately this is the last Warwick interview date so if you haven't heard by now I wouldn't count on hearing for an interview. Leeds and Bristol put the best people through, reject the worst and put the ones they are comparing to the rest of those auditioning on hold to hear at the end...
Original post by Joell3
Unfortunately this is the last Warwick interview date so if you haven't heard by now I wouldn't count on hearing for an interview. Leeds and Bristol put the best people through, reject the worst and put the ones they are comparing to the rest of those auditioning on hold to hear at the end...

I didn't apply for Warwick personally but cheers for the heads up. I'm gutted that I wasn't one of the 'best people' as at QMUL and York they told me at the end of my interviews that I would definitely be receiving a place! Out of interest, how do you know this about Leeds n Bristol? :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by gemnomnom
I didn't apply for Warwick personally but cheers for the heads up. I'm gutted that I wasn't one of the 'best people' as at QMUL and York they told me at the end of my interviews that I would definitely be receiving a place! Out of interest, how do you know this about Leeds n Bristol? :smile:

Leeds I asked at the interview and that's exactly what they told me, and it's been evidenced by the fact some of the people I auditioned with have since been accepted and I'm on hold :tongue: Bristol I have assumed have the exact same system due to people hearing back earlier than others, it's a common system to use.

Don't worry about not being one of the 'best people' it's so subjective to what the university want, you could be York's number one choice and rejected before interview somewhere else, it's purely about what the university is looking for :smile:
Reply 92
Anyone going to interview at John Moores this week? Im not sure what to wear as the letter says loose casual clothes for the workshop but does that mean I need a change of clothes for the seminar?? I rang up to investigate and nobody was very helpful :frown: heeelllpppp!!
Original post by Joell3

Yeah I had a feeling Warwick was nearing the end of interviews. To be honest though, I think Leeds is now my top choice (I was rejected by Bristol), so I don't really mind if I get rejected from Warwick.
Reply 94
Just firmed Leeds for September 2012!! I really love the whole university feel, and I'm mega happy with the course - very excited! I made UEA insurance even though it's the same offer, just in case only one of the two makes allowances in the event of missing grades etc, but in general.... yay!
Original post by ek101
Just firmed Leeds for September 2012!! I really love the whole university feel, and I'm mega happy with the course - very excited! I made UEA insurance even though it's the same offer, just in case only one of the two makes allowances in the event of missing grades etc, but in general.... yay!

Anyone know about the universities and giving leeway with missed grades? Congratulations btw :biggrin:
Reply 96
Original post by holly6946
Anybody going to the interview/workshop day at Leeds on 24th Feb? xxxx

I am! :smile: just got the invite email last monday, but I'm really not prepared! I'm a little worried, do you know anything? Alsooo, this is my first interview, so what do you wear?

Thaanks

xxx
Reply 97
Original post by Sophia_x
I am! :smile: just got the invite email last monday, but I'm really not prepared! I'm a little worried, do you know anything? Alsooo, this is my first interview, so what do you wear?

Thaanks

xxx

Heyyy, same here, first interview, not prepared. Just going to wear some black jeggings and a nice jumper and vans, nothing smart, it's what I'm comfortable in and they might encourage us to jump around int workshop or summat so I'm not wearing heels or stuff. Where u travelling from?
Ooh and good luck hun xxx
Reply 98
Original post by holly6946
Heyyy, same here, first interview, not prepared. Just going to wear some black jeggings and a nice jumper and vans, nothing smart, it's what I'm comfortable in and they might encourage us to jump around int workshop or summat so I'm not wearing heels or stuff. Where u travelling from?
Ooh and good luck hun xxx

Yeah good idea, ill probably wear the same thing roughly :smile: i think tonight i'll just look at some basic questions and prepare some answers but im hoping they won't start name dropping random authors or poets :/ I'm coming from kent, you??
Good luck too, i'm sure you'll do great :smile: what's your interview time?
xx
Reply 99
Original post by Sophia_x
Yeah good idea, ill probably wear the same thing roughly :smile: i think tonight i'll just look at some basic questions and prepare some answers but im hoping they won't start name dropping random authors or poets :/ I'm coming from kent, you??
Good luck too, i'm sure you'll do great :smile: what's your interview time?
xx

Yeah, I've got a drama lesson tonight and I'm gunna hijack it and make my teacher interview me lol. I'm from North Nottingham, so not too far for me to get to Leeds. My interview is 12 I think, and I'm staying with my best mate for the weekend in his student flat cus he's doing Physics at Leeds atm (: Best of luck, we can do it! See u there, I've got blonde hair and I'll be wearing a yellow jumper and a russian hat ha (:

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest