Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Badminton tournament thing question!

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was just wandering around the BADMINTON ENGLAND website since i was interested to join a tournament soon (by soon i mean a very long time since i just recently started taking badminton seriously )

but then i came across words that confuses me
    Whats a junior circuit?? what are gradings??? :confused:

As you would already know im a complete newbie
    Can somebody please explain the basics of these things?

Thx!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seatbelt)
    I was just wandering around the BADMINTON ENGLAND website since i was interested to join a tournament soon (by soon i mean a very long time since i just recently started taking badminton seriously )

but then i came across words that confuses me
    Whats a junior circuit?? what are gradings??? :confused:

As you would already know im a complete newbie
    Can somebody please explain the basics of these things?

Thx!
    I take it you are a junior then?

I haven't competed in about a year and a half now, so forgive me if this is wrong (I will have a look at the website a little later on for you).
    But basically the junior circuit is a collection of tournaments, each county hosting one tournament. So you would have Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. The tournaments are on different days spread throughout the year, so its kind of like a tennis circuit, where there are lots of competitions, across the country, and you should expect to see some of the same players at each tournament.

Because there are tournaments all across the country, for most people, there are only about 4 or 5 tournaments within a good 2-3 hours away. So most people don't enter every tournament. It is the really committed players who like to play more, that will enter lots more tournaments like 8 or 9 and have to travel a lot further.

When I was playing there were four gradings, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Gold Star. There will be a separate circuit for bronze, silver, and gold. You don't have to enter one circuit at the start of the season, you enter each tournament individually and its perfectly fine for you to enter one bronze event, two silvers, and one gold, if you want to. Everyone starts off as ungraded, and enters bronze tournaments because this is the lowest group. To get a bronze ranking, you had to get out of your group stage and progress into the knockout stages. Then you would continue to compete in bronze tournaments because this was your level. If you improve, you could be reaching the latter parts of the tournament like quarters, semis, finals. If you win the whole tournament, you get promoted to silver grading. What a lot of people find that is once they reach the latter parts of the competitions, they are consistently facing up against the same players, and they are all about the same standard, but its very hard to actually win the whole tournament and get a silver grading. Instead it may be easier for them to enter silver tournaments, and try and get out of their group to get a silver grading instead.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2p)
    I take it you are a junior then?

I haven't competed in about a year and a half now, so forgive me if this is wrong (I will have a look at the website a little later on for you).
    But basically the junior circuit is a collection of tournaments, each county hosting one tournament. So you would have Kent, Surrey, Hertfordshire, etc. The tournaments are on different days spread throughout the year, so its kind of like a tennis circuit, where there are lots of competitions, across the country, and you should expect to see some of the same players at each tournament.

Because there are tournaments all across the country, for most people, there are only about 4 or 5 tournaments within a good 2-3 hours away. So most people don't enter every tournament. It is the really committed players who like to play more, that will enter lots more tournaments like 8 or 9 and have to travel a lot further.

When I was playing there were four gradings, Bronze, Silver, Gold and Gold Star. There will be a separate circuit for bronze, silver, and gold. You don't have to enter one circuit at the start of the season, you enter each tournament individually and its perfectly fine for you to enter one bronze event, two silvers, and one gold, if you want to. Everyone starts off as ungraded, and enters bronze tournaments because this is the lowest group. To get a bronze ranking, you had to get out of your group stage and progress into the knockout stages. Then you would continue to compete in bronze tournaments because this was your level. If you improve, you could be reaching the latter parts of the tournament like quarters, semis, finals. If you win the whole tournament, you get promoted to silver grading. What a lot of people find that is once they reach the latter parts of the competitions, they are consistently facing up against the same players, and they are all about the same standard, but its very hard to actually win the whole tournament and get a silver grading. Instead it may be easier for them to enter silver tournaments, and try and get out of their group to get a silver grading instead.
    Thx for replying!
    yes im a junior , i just recently joined a badminton club so i dont think i have any gradings and not a clue where i'll get my gradings either

So if i entered a bronze tournament, i will have to go around the country as i progress through the tournament?? like a match in place A, and then another match in place B?? or will i just go to the same place for the tournament?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thx for replying!
    yes im a junior , i just recently joined a badminton club so i dont think i have any gradings and not a clue where i'll get my gradings either

So if i entered a bronze tournament, i will have to go around the country as i progress through the tournament?? like a match in place A, and then another match in place B?? or will i just go to the same place for the tournament?
    Tournaments are played on one day. So you enter one bronze, say Warwickshire Bronze. Then it is standard for there to be groups of four. So you will play three games in your group. If you don't pass through your group, you don't progress any further. So you play three games, knocked out, go home If you do pass through your group, you'll probably play one or two more rounds, then quarters, semis, final. It all happens on one day. Then if you enter another tournament, say Notts Bronze, its a completely new tournament. There's probably like 20 different tournaments for bronze, silver and gold, across the country, and you can enter as many or as little as you want.

Most people choose to enter doubles too, because well, its a bit of a waste travelling so far to play three games and going back home. After the singles has finished (or during the latter rounds where only say 8, 4, or 2 singles players still remain and the rest who have been knocked out are just sitting around), the doubles will then start. And then its the same format, you play in groups of four, the winner progresses. The only difference is if you get out of your group in a doubles tournament, this doesn't change your grading, it has to be in singles. A few tournaments I've been to the doubles is played before singles, though it doesn't really matter which one comes first.

Anyway, if you have only just started, I would probably advise you not to enter any bronzes. Bronzes are still quite a high standard, and it may be a waste of your money (the entrance fee is quite expensive, plus you've got to waste petrol driving there). All the players will have good technique, can play every shot, and know every tactic, its mainly just super fitness, pure skill, and varying levels of deception differentiating them from silvers and gold players. Have a look at "1*" and "2*" tournaments first, they are a level lower than bronzes, with 1*s specifically designed for beginner players who have been playing for < 6 months. Try and enter one of these, and see if the level is right for you, if it is, then going to bronzes will be far too difficult for you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2p)
    Tournaments are played on one day. So you enter one bronze, say Warwickshire Bronze. Then it is standard for there to be groups of four. So you will play three games in your group. If you don't pass through your group, you don't progress any further. So you play three games, knocked out, go home If you do pass through your group, you'll probably play one or two more rounds, then quarters, semis, final. It all happens on one day. Then if you enter another tournament, say Notts Bronze, its a completely new tournament. There's probably like 20 different tournaments for bronze, silver and gold, across the country, and you can enter as many or as little as you want.

Most people choose to enter doubles too, because well, its a bit of a waste travelling so far to play three games and going back home. After the singles has finished (or during the latter rounds where only say 8, 4, or 2 singles players still remain and the rest who have been knocked out are just sitting around), the doubles will then start. And then its the same format, you play in groups of four, the winner progresses. The only difference is if you get out of your group in a doubles tournament, this doesn't change your grading, it has to be in singles. A few tournaments I've been to the doubles is played before singles, though it doesn't really matter which one comes first.

Anyway, if you have only just started, I would probably advise you not to enter any bronzes. Bronzes are still quite a high standard, and it may be a waste of your money (the entrance fee is quite expensive, plus you've got to waste petrol driving there). All the players will have good technique, can play every shot, and know every tactic, its mainly just super fitness, pure skill, and varying levels of deception differentiating them from silvers and gold players. Have a look at "1*" and "2*" tournaments first, they are a level lower than bronzes, with 1*s specifically designed for beginner players who have been playing for < 6 months. Try and enter one of these, and see if the level is right for you, if it is, then going to bronzes will be far too difficult for you.
    Oh good! I thought the system was more complex haha
    Putting a lot of pressure on me already , you sure every player in bronze can ''play every shot, and know every tactic, its mainly just super fitness, pure skill'' :eek:
    if you put it that way im kinda way below bronze haha

If you competed before, how much was it to enter the tournament??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh good! I thought the system was more complex haha
    Putting a lot of pressure on me already , you sure every player in bronze can ''play every shot, and know every tactic, its mainly just super fitness, pure skill'' :eek:
    if you put it that way im kinda way below bronze haha

If you competed before, how much was it to enter the tournament??
    Nono I meant, the level of fitness, skill, and deception, is the difference between bronze silver and gold players. In silvers and golds each match is best of three games, compared to one game of 21 in bronze tournaments. Not that the bronze players are fat or unfit or anything like that, its just silver and gold players are a lot fitter because playing best of three is really demanding. For bronze players, playing smashes, tight drop shots, tight net shots, consistent clears to the back line, are all a given. The same goes for knowing every doubles tactic, front and back, defending, etc. The ones that can't play these shots properly all the time, are the lower half of people entering bronzes. I don't quite remember how much it was, and it could have changed now, but I think for singles and doubles it was definitely over £10, probably closer to £15.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by v2p)
    Nono I meant, the level of fitness, skill, and deception, is the difference between bronze silver and gold players. In silvers and golds each match is best of three games, compared to one game of 21 in bronze tournaments. Not that the bronze players are fat or unfit or anything like that, its just silver and gold players are a lot fitter because playing best of three is really demanding. For bronze players, playing smashes, tight drop shots, tight net shots, consistent clears to the back line, are all a given. The same goes for knowing every doubles tactic, front and back, defending, etc. The ones that can't play these shots properly all the time, are the lower half of people entering bronzes. I don't quite remember how much it was, and it could have changed now, but I think for singles and doubles it was definitely over £10, probably closer to £15.
    Oooh, i see :cool:
    k i understand now , thx for the replies!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: February 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.