The Student Room Group

Throwout bearing replacement

Pretty sure the throwout bearing on my KA has packed up, getting loads of rattling from the front when the clutch is engaged.

Anyone know how much it's going to cost/how much is going to need replacing?

+ will it effect my MOT?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Big Job Mate ! The throwout bearing is inside the clutch system. It's cheaper to just replace the whole clutch.
Mark is spot on the ball here. A lot of fords seem to crop up with this issue.
Reply 3
How old the ford ka? Brand new clutch and fitting will cost app £300 even more.
Reply 4
Rubbish, if the clutch is in good condition just do the throwout bearing. No need to replace the clutch as well if it's in good condition, it's not cheaper or faster.
Reply 5
Original post by yoshifumu
Pretty sure the throwout bearing on my KA has packed up, getting loads of rattling from the front when the clutch is engaged.

Anyone know how much it's going to cost/how much is going to need replacing?

+ will it effect my MOT?

Thanks!

Does not affect the MOT. Gearbox and transmission isn't checked as part of the MOT.

You can buy a clutch kit as a complete set inclusive of the throw-out bearing for £60-70 or so... labour should be around £250 or so. Same amount will be spent on labour alone if you ask the garage to change just the bearing.... that is assuming you could buy just the throw-out bearing on it's own which is quite rare these days and unlikely to save you any money as opposed to buying a complete clutch kit.

In any case until the clutch plate itself is worn off completely you could usually get away with driving the car with a bad throw-out bearing for awhile.
Reply 6
Original post by Megaross
Rubbish, if the clutch is in good condition just do the throwout bearing. No need to replace the clutch as well if it's in good condition, it's not cheaper or faster.

It's a false economy not to change the clutch whilst the 'box is out.
Although, as one poster put above it isn't "cheaper" to do the whole lot, but it is a good idea.

Clutch kits usually come as three part kits: pressure plate, friction plate and a replacment throwout / release bearing (depending on what you prefer to call it).
Reply 7
Get a better car...
Reply 8
Original post by JC.
It's a false economy not to change the clutch whilst the 'box is out.
Although, as one poster put above it isn't "cheaper" to do the whole lot, but it is a good idea.

Clutch kits usually come as three part kits: pressure plate, friction plate and a replacment throwout / release bearing (depending on what you prefer to call it).

Hence good condition, to be honest I've seen occasionally people just do the clutch plate and not the throwout bearing even though it makes sense to do both at the same time. But if the clutch is still in good nick theres no need to change it.
Reply 9
Original post by Megaross
Hence good condition, to be honest I've seen occasionally people just do the clutch plate and not the throwout bearing even though it makes sense to do both at the same time. But if the clutch is still in good nick theres no need to change it.

The only reason not to change the friction & pressure plate is if it's been done within the last few thousand miles.

If you've got the whole lot apart anyway, you may as well renew the rest.
Reply 10
Its called a THRUST bearing.

And you may as well do the clutch when doing the bearing, although we always used to do the bearings when doing the clutch. If that makes sense.
Reply 11
That's what I've been hearing around. Clutch is a little bit dodgy anyway so might as well replace it!

It's a 54 reg KA thats done ~32 k.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll call up the garage today.
Reply 12
32k and the clutch is up for renewal? Jesus, my Focus did 90 without ever having it done, and I can find no history of my Pug having one done either - its currently on 150k.
Reply 13
Original post by Cj-Tj
32k and the clutch is up for renewal? Jesus, my Focus did 90 without ever having it done, and I can find no history of my Pug having one done either - its currently on 150k.

I had a 3.2 jag with over 330k on the clock still on the original clutch. :eek:
Pity the rest of it was knacked!
Reply 14
Original post by Cj-Tj

Garage people on the phone thought it was odd as well.

Starting to think that I'm worrying too much about some standard chatter. The garage told me to come in so he could test it before doing anything drastic/expensive.

Will post results if anyones interested.
Reply 15
I though ka where girl cars?
Reply 16
Original post by markread45
I though ka where girl cars?

Its a problem car.

Had it diagnosed and they agreed with my op. Then quoted 600. Which I can't afford... He said 100 for clutch 100 for bearings. At least thats what it sounded like...

Any comments?
Reply 17
£100 for labour or £100 for the new clutch?. My uncle has a ford fiesta which was 9 year olds but it only did 45k his engine went but because he only done 45k mileage he was covered with ford . It says in the handbook how long the cars is warrantied for up to mileage but you need to service it at ford main dealer.

Back to the point , if you need the car do the work or find a cheaper garage .
Reply 18
Original post by markread45
£100 for labour or £100 for the new clutch?. My uncle has a ford fiesta which was 9 year olds but it only did 45k his engine went but because he only done 45k mileage he was covered with ford . It says in the handbook how long the cars is warrantied for up to mileage but you need to service it at ford main dealer.

Back to the point , if you need the car do the work or find a cheaper garage .

£100 for clutch, £100 for bearings, leaving £400 for labour.

We bought it at 28k in august, and from memory it hasn't been serviced at a ford garage for the last few years.

Since then the ignition coil packed in, and now the clutch is messing up. Meaning that, if I pay the £600, I've more or less paid for half the car again in 6 months.

Windscreen washer filter has blocked up as well but that's a bit moot in comparison.

If I wanted to buy the kit online, and just pay for labour, anyone know where I could buy it?
Reply 19
You could try to buy the clutch and bearing from the garage and find somewhere where they do cheap labour

Quick Reply

Latest