The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IndiaCaitlinn
Not all 'working/middle class' girls wear loads of make up and 'street talk'.
I certainly don't.

Working/middle class = 90% of the population

By the way plenty of posh people go to state schools.
Original post by KingKenny
Working/middle class = 90% of the population

By the way plenty of posh people go to state schools.

I know...
Reply 22
In my opinion, I tend to find that a 'received pronunciation' accent on an attractive girl makes her even more attractive. But if I dont find her physically attractive then an accent wont change that.
It's true that a classy appearance and comportment is going to be found more frequently in the middle classes and above, though I disagree with several of the points you've raised.
If I had to put my finger on the difference between posh girls and non-posh, it's that they have a genteel quality that poor girls struggle with.

Secondly and I can hear the vultures circling on me right now, is the question of voice. Thick regional accents are not attractive. I'm sorry they just aren't. That's not to say all posh voices are attractive. You all know the sort of rah voices that you walk a mile from. Good diction is important as is having a soothing tone. It's fashionable to talk ordinary - perhaps in the hope of getting respect on the street - but it's not attractive.

Thirdly let me come on to the issue of appearance and dress. Even the nicest working class girls seem to get this badly wrong. Fake tan is atrocious. Suntans are possibly okay, but generally I prefer clear white skin. There's nothing sadder than seeing a pretty girl wearing far too much make-up. If you see a pretty face without make-up then it's almost a guarantee she's posh. Girls should keep their bodies well covered (more vultures circling) with exceptions like the beack of course and maybe the odd special occasion where cleavage may be acceptable. Oh how sexist you say. So how do you feel about men who wak around town in a vest? Sorry, there's no need. Finally we have hair. Whereas posh girls generally have their's natural or sometimes traightened, which is fine. However ludicrous peroxide colouring and having it 'set' is not good. Except perhaps for special occasions.

Anyway, I await the howls of derision, but I only hope to correct people in the error of their ways. And if you don't like what I say, it's a free country so you can make your own mistakes.

This is just a massive generalisation.

I'm from the North East and I'm working class.
I don't "struggle" to be genteel.
My accent isn't strong so I suppose that point doesn't apply to me.
I'm pale, I don't wear fake tan. I dress modestly. I don't bleach my hair.

Just because somebody is from a less well off family doesn't mean they're a chav.
Reply 25
Well good for you. I'll assume you genuinely are working class - it's just there's lots of people who claim to be working class and aren't. If you look at the first line of what I said I admitted it was a generalisation I was making. It's not necessarily a question of wealth either. It's more about social class.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by im so academic
Men likes hot, posh girls.
Anything new here? Not at all, I don't even know why people are arguing about this.

Men like
Man likes
I've noticed mistakes like this a few times. You'll never get into Oxbridge if you don't improve your English.
Well good for you. I'll assume you genuinely are working class - it's just there's lots of people who claim to be working class and aren't. If you look at the first line of what I said I admitted it was a generalisation I was making. It's not necessarily a question of wealth either. It's more about social class.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd be described as working class, parents aren't well educated, dad is a labourer etc etc. And social class usually includes income as well doesn't it?

My thinking would be posh = upper class
Maybe you meant posh in a different way.
You're are making massive massive generalisations here. I'm from a working class background, my mum is cashier and my dad is a supervisor in a factory, I don't wear fake tan, I don't dye my hair, I don't have fake nails or hair extensions, I don't wear revealing clothing or lots of make up, yeah I have an accent, but it's not massively strong.

There are a hell of a lot of ugly trashy posh girls as well, they're not all classy natural beauties and not all working class girls are chavs.
Social class shouldn't have bearing on whether you find people attractive. It is snobby and judgemental. You cannot judge someone by their accent.

Original post by Oswald Mosley
Posh girls are alright for a little grope, but when your finished with them they might as well be a cheap whore for what their worth. All girls are the same - you hire them, give them a little training, and when they find themselves surplus to requirements they get the sack. Posh girls are nothing more than trophy clunge.

So are girls just someone for you to insert your dick into? That is a horrid view. We are people too and we enjoy sex just as much as men.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
I wouldn't say merely upper class because there you are only talking about roughly 1% of the population. I tend to think in the terms advertisers use - A, B, C1, C2, D and E.

A refers to higher professional and managerial workers - senior businesspeople, doctors, lawyers, academics etc. They are people who tend to draw higher salaries, but not necessarily.
I wouldn't say merely upper class because there you are only talking about roughly 1% of the population. I tend to think in the terms advertisers use - A, B, C1, C2, D and E.

A refers to higher professional and managerial workers - senior businesspeople, doctors, lawyers, academics etc. They are people who tend to draw higher salaries, but not necessarily.

So who would you consider posh?
i think you are getting things confused... posh girls DO dye their hair, they DO wear make up... they can just afford better quality so it looks better.
Ridiculous thread but just to throw ANOTHER generalisation out there...

A lot of 'posh' girls have large noses (sign of 'breeding') which aren't necessarily synonymous with attractive.

Feel free to rip this to shreds, I would.

OP is a fool!
I know some posh lasses who are right fake sluts.

You're confusing posh, with classy.
Reply 35
I think classy is a more appropriate term here. You can find many working class girls that are elegant and charming.

I'm working/middle-ish class. I don't live on a council estate. I don't resemble a wotsit. And I speak in an elaborate manner. I'm no Kate Middleton but whatevs!
It is usually the middle class that go to those beauty pagents. I assume a lot of girls in Essex are tanned and middle class? What i'm trying to say is that style varies within a single social class. It depends on where you live. The way you talk also depends on where you live but also how your peers and parents speak and to some extnt how intelligent you are.
Reply 36
Original post by *Lola_Stars*

A lot of 'posh' girls have large noses (sign of 'breeding') which aren't necessarily synonymous with attractive.

OP is a fool!

Probably because they're jews. It wouldn't surprise me if most posh girls were jews, there are hardly any poor jews in the UK.
Reply 37
Original post by *Lola_Stars*

OP is a fool!

And horsey teeth, you know the ones I am on about, with more gum than tooth when they smile...that is a definite trend at my Uni.

(again, I don't actually thing all posh girls have horsey teeth...)
I think you're wrong to equate social background with "poshness." I am from a working class background, but do consider myself classy (rather than "posh," which seems to have somewhat negative connotations these days, and I do view it as more of an attitude than a state of being, which I think "classy" is). I am well-spoken, and hope that others find me well-mannered and elegant. I think that classy women are often considered feminine and lady-like, which seem to be attractive qualities, whereas those who might be described as "chavvy" could be seen as a bit laddish and uncouth, which I wouldn't have thought are terribly appealing characteristics...
I don't think this is news - most people feel this way on some level, but I think this difference is much more distinct in the UK than in other countries. Many places in Europe, I can tell that 'posher' people have slightly better genetics and also take care of themselves better, but I can see girls of poor backgrounds which still are beautiful, just lack the sense of style and the right grooming. In the UK, girls' sense of style is generally very, very poor. Even girls who can afford to dress well seem to often overdo it and many also dress unflattering to their shape. Which means the poor girls almost always dress badly, the richer ones dress sometimes good, but also often bad.
Obesity in the UK is a clear factor - lower class people are more likely to be fat, and irregardless of what your original appearance is, you will become unattractive if you're too heavy. The English also seem to have very bad genes when it comes to teeth - I have never seen this in any other nation. Britain's poverty certainly has something to do with it, but there is something genetic which is dominant. There are more unflattering body shapes - if you go to the Scandinavian countries, you see far more girls with long legs, small waists and flat stomachs. Mostly in posh parts of Oslo and Stockholm, obviously. The girls I went to school with (a wealthy school) are all pretty gorgeous. I don't think I have ever seen one English girls who can match, and I live in West London. I honestly haven't been to that many working class areas of the UK, but I have on one occasion been to Essex, and I'll never forget it.

Latest

Trending

Trending