The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Amandeep_Psych07
I have hair on my arms, it's really fine and light but now I'm slightly self conscious. :unsure:

Yeah I feel a bit like that now :s-smilie:
Are people with blonde hair really expected to shave their arms?!

Well, if so, **** them, I'm going to be a cat lady.
Reply 21
I shave mine for personal preference. With dark hair and medium skin tone, I find it easier to shave it.
Reply 22
your arms arent even bad! at all! nowt to be insecure about, OP.
Reply 23
Oh wait I also thought it was armpits.

If its not too long then I'm fine.
Reply 24
well i never have hair on my arms i just dont like it to be honest! so as soon as i see hair i eppilate..it used to hurt but now i cant even feel a thing :biggrin:

that''s just my opinion though, everyone's different.
I have a couple of moles on my arms that like to grow very dark, long hair so I pluck those out. I sometimes get my arms waxed but I tend to only do that for special occasions (holidays etc). I used to shave my arms when I was younger and I now strongly advise against that as it just makes things worse. If you do want to remove the hair then get it waxed. You only need a half arm (below the elbow joint) wax which cost about £5-8 for both arms and it lasts about a month depending on how long you don't mind your hair being. It honestly doesn't hurt and it leaves your arms super smooth!
Reply 26
Original post by parasitic
Because I have long blonde hair which I find unattractive. To others it might be no big deal, but to me it is. I feel more confident bearing my hairless arms :smile:

Are they like, really really long? I can only see mine if I hold them up to the light and I've got goosebumps :s-smilie:

Guys, do you really look at girls arms that closely?!
nope My armpit hair actually blocks out the sun...
Original post by inadilemma
Simple as, really. I have quite dark hair on my arms which I don't really like and I once considered shaving it off, but a girl I knew did that and when it grew again it was all stubbly. I just can't be bothered with that kind of maintenance. It's already an effort to shave my legs.

So, girls do you shave your arms?

Guys, do you prefer girls with hair-free arms or do you like a little bit of fuzz?

[EDIT]
Please note that I mean ARM HAIR, not ARM-PIT HAIR.

Because it has been requested, here are photos of my arm hair...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/1006669.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/1006670h.jpg/

I have this :redface:.. urrgh.. i shaved but it's really bad. :frown:.. wait I just saw the pictures.. mine is worse.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
I have really light blonde hair, but there seems to be quite a lot on my arms, for a girl anyway. I've considered shaving it off but I dunno if it would be weird. It might be like if one day I had to start shaving my face or something :confused:
Reply 30
I'm not a fan of shaving in general :wink:
Reply 31
I had no idea people even shaved their arms..or that guys bothered about it. Ohdear.
I have blonde hair on my arms, so it's not too visable anyway..but it's quite long hair but only noticable when I'm cold..or showing my arms, and I live in hoodies.
I don't care whether my arm hair is unattractive to guys tbh.. it's natural to have hairy arms sure?
Perhaps I could understand if you had dark arm hair but seriously - Don't us girls shave enough already? Soon it's gonna be socially unacceptable for us to have eyebrows or head-hair -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
No I don't. If someone doesn't like it then that's their problem, not mine.
Reply 33
I really can't think of any circumstances under which I'd tell someone I was dating what they should do with their own body. (I might make a suggestion if they were incredibly unhygienic and hated washing, but I wouldn't class body hair under that category.)

If you're female and feeling self-conscious about arm hair, please don't. By all means remove it if you want to (although arm stubble sounds a bit peculiar :teehee:) but really, you don't have to and I don't think anyone would really expect you to.
Reply 34
I know some women who shave their arms. My advice would be if it bothers/ embarrasses you so that you would for instance wear a long sleeved top or not take off a jacket unless the hair was less visible then do something about it. There are a few options.

Shaving- Not the best option here really. Some people dont notice their hair texture change from doing this, but I've felt someone who does, brush their arm on mine and it felt like a stubbly face. I'd say shave in an emergency only if time is at a premium.

Bleaching- Hair lighteners like jolene are commonly used on arm hairs with good effects. If you don't want people to know you bleach and your hair is dark the regrowth can stand out. It's also time consuming, messy and can stain any textiles or clothes.

Hair removal cream- Good general option. The application is similar to bleach, but comes with better scents, more variety, tends to leave the skin very smooth and its less hazardous to textiles. Caution, the creams cant be used too often (I think its every 72 hours maximum) or it may cause chemical burns.

Epilating- If you have an epilating device this is an option, but I wouldn't buy one just for this purpose. Epilation is designed to pluck hairs quickly from their roots but is extremely painful and not always as effective on longer or finer hairs. It would be time consuming to use this on your arms but not impossible.

Waxing- Probably best done by a friend or even better a professional. Never had any good results from using at home waxing on any hair myself. Nor have I had it done by a professional. I'd imagine that the finish would be very good and quite long lasting, possibly even reducing hair growth but costs may mount up if the hair grows back quickly.

Laser hair removal- By far the most expensive treatment but probably with the best results over all. I would say this is a great option further down the line for any hair that requires a lot of maintenance. Only suitable for those with certain skin/ hair pigments so worth looking up for the future.

Other tips- Generally I'd say what ever you do from shaving to hair removal creams, keep the area exfoliated and moisturized. If the hairs are thick or curly youre more at risk of developing in grown hairs which have the potential to scar. I heard baby oil is good for this and after using Johnsons baby oil gel on my legs I can vouch for this!

Since you dont like too much effort I'd recommend an in shower hair removal cream. I think there are some that stay on even with water running over them until you scrape it off. This is also a fairly quick and cheap method that shouldnt cause too much pair or discomfort if any.
I've shaved mine since I was like 14 :redface: just because I cannot stand body hair. I do them every day and then moisturise them (and legs too) with baby lotion- makes them all soft :biggrin:.

I remember when I first told my friends and they just went :lolwut: but really, I just see it as maintenance.
I don't. It's never really occurred to me to do it, because it is such a boring, massive amount of effort to be dealing with legs/armpits/bikini line anyway without having to bother with arms as well!

This thread made me think of something else that I've often debated with friends over:

Do you shave the top of your legs i.e. above the knees?

I always have done and never understood why people don't, but I have heard a lot of girls say they don't bother, and they're glad that they never got in to it.
Reply 37
Well I once met a lesbian at a party who had an unmaintained jungle in her armpits. I think armpit hair is hot on guys and while I would never say it's hot itself on girls, I would say that from a hotness perspective it's sexier to go all out.

So either hairless or the full Amazon basin.

Whoops, thought it meant armpits. Arms themselves are OK hairy I suppose, stubble there would just look weird, I'd be like, are you a werewolf?
I like a little something something to stroke
Reply 39
Original post by sammy-lou
I don't. It's never really occurred to me to do it, because it is such a boring, massive amount of effort to be dealing with legs/armpits/bikini line anyway without having to bother with arms as well!

This thread made me think of something else that I've often debated with friends over:

Do you shave the top of your legs i.e. above the knees?

I always have done and never understood why people don't, but I have heard a lot of girls say they don't bother, and they're glad that they never got in to it.

Not as much as the bottom of my legs, but the top of my legs have very fine, blonde hair which doesnt grow too fast, whereas the bottom has darker hair which grows ridiculously fast :/. It depends what I'm wearing though, if I'm gonna wear shorts then yeah I probably would shave the whole of my legs if necessary.. but I can see why people dont xD

Latest